Author Topic: My first CB: The final push 6 years later...  (Read 21155 times)

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
Re: My first CB - Here we go! (5/7 teaser photos)
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »
It has been a long time coming, but I finally took Friday off and did the painting. My colors came from the '56 Corvette and are "Polo White" and "Venetian Red". Apparently these are the same colors as Fender (guitars) Alpine White and Conoco/Phillips Red/Orange.

Here we are in my spraybooth: my trashcan in my back yard.

Here is a close up of where the metal poked through the primer during sanding. Doesn't seem to have caused a problem.

Extras all ready to go.

The Polo White...Spraymax base coat (with an ad for R&E).

Set out to dry a bit...

Getting ready for the striping. Blue tape is over 3M Fine Line tape. Fine Line worked great. Blue tape didn't. I ended up with some over spray but that came off with a little 1500 sandpaper.

Here is the Venetian Red!

The rest of these are all post clear coat. It ended up being a real pain because bugs seemed really attracted to my tank right as I started clear coating. It caused problems and I got into damage control...it all came out ok in the end. There are some blemishes...but that is to be expected. If I had had an awesome spray booth, I think it would have looked professional.

So, hopefully that gives an adequate sample size to get an idea what it looks like. I'm happy with how it came out. I am currently wet sanding them all and hopefully will polish with a friend's detailing equipment this weekend. One day (crosses fingers) my frame will be painted matching red.

More photos to come once I get everything back on the bike.

Offline Boulevard_beck

Re: My first CB - Here we go! (5/15 paint job photo dump)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »
I'm sure there are some blemishes up close, but the pictures look great. And anyone watching you ride by will surely be jelous. Great job! I can only hope that if I ever get around to painting mine that it comes out looking this good.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 07:36:43 pm »
Nice paint work.  What's next?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline caferacer750

• yup it getting there
  • ride it
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »
looking good keep it up

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 04:58:56 am »
Nice paint work.  What's next?

My seat is at the upholstery place getting some leather. I wrapped the exhaust. I cleaned the carbs. I chopped the fender. Of course, I painted. Next, more pictures  ;D

I need to tune the carbs, put on chain and sprockets, and install a solid state flasher. Then, my plan is to ride it for the summer although I may get started on polishing here and there when the temps get too high. I need to do maintenance on my other bike for a little bit.

Next winter I'm considering the full teardown to paint the frame and open the engine. The frame is really dirty so I might just try some sort of cleaning operation.

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »
Time for a photo update. I just have to get some fasteners for the right side cover (it is a generic one without the tabs  ::)), do the MC rebuild (you may notice it is in progress), and replace the sprockets and drive chain. Then I am all set until I tear it down to the frame.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: My first CB - Here we go! 6/11 photo update!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »
LOOKS REALLY GOOD. I like the paint scheme..
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline stevenwr

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 06:43:06 pm »
I like the white with red stripe...looks really good. That seat is awesome!

Offline matt mattison

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 02:59:47 am »
Looks real good. Are you considering rear sets soon? Clubmans and stock pegs make you ride in the fetal position, most think that's uncomfortable.
1975 CB550F
2011 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 05:24:09 am »
Looks real good. Are you considering rear sets soon? Clubmans and stock pegs make you ride in the fetal position, most think that's uncomfortable.

That's an interesting thought. I hadn't considered it. My other bike is a sport bike so I'm used to the forward leaning position. Rearsets sounds expensive though...

Offline matt mattison

• Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:24 am »
Your sport bike probably has rear sets on it. So, your riding position on the SOHC would end up being similar to the sport bike with them installed. You can buy new rear sets from Fast From the Past and drop about $300 for a bolt on set. Or another option is to look on eBay, and fab up a way to mount them up. Usually the eBay way is cheaper, but a little more work
1975 CB550F
2011 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 11:33:57 pm »
Can you show us the CARVIN guitar???

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 10:57:05 am »

Did I mention that on here or have you been internet stalking me?  :o Heh. I took a bunch of photos while finishing it. I'll throw them up here once I get them off my camera.

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »
Paint job looks very nice. I am getting ready to paint mine with the same type of paint and was wondering how many coats did you put on and how long between each coat did you let it sit for.

Thanks Matt
My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »
I did 3 coats of everything except the epoxy primer/sealant. I think you wait 15 min. between coats (may have been 30). When you are going to lay down tape to do another color (i.e. the red stripe) you need to wait an hour.

I bought from repaintsupply.com. The guy spent 45 min on the phone with me telling me how to do everything. Only thing I ran into is that I don't think they matched my color code right (I had an old code and the mapped to a new one). So, test your colors before you get going and buy an extra bottle of clear. I started to run out and I think I would have gotten a better product if I had been a bit more liberal with the clear.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:14 pm »

Did I mention that on here or have you been internet stalking me?  :o Heh. I took a bunch of photos while finishing it. I'll throw them up here once I get them off my camera.

The Carvin guitar case is in plain view in one of your motorcycle paint photos.
Stalkin someone to see their guitar?? I don't think so.

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 05:57:11 am »
Haha. I was just ribbing you. I took a couple of days off from the bike to finish this nice Carvin GK1 kit. It was pretty fun.

Offline Guns_Up

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 06:06:21 am »
Your bike a guitar look awesome man!

Are your rims and spokes powder coated black or painted, I noticed that they were black when you picked it up but was curious about it.

Tony

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 07:52:45 am »
Painted. I think it is rattle can or something. I want to clean them and either stick with shiny metal or powder coat to match the paint scheme. At some point I'm going to paint/powdercoat the frame red/orange to match the stripe. Red wheels might be too much red, but white wheels might get too dirty. Hard to say at this point. I actually have the back wheel off right now and will be doing some cleaning as it seems like I just pulled it out of a tar pit...

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:13 am »
It has been a long time since I have posted an update. I have been continually working, but nothing very interesting to post pictures on.

I rejetted the carbs and got much closer to the range I need to be in, but was still running rich. Rather than take the carbs apart and resync and all that crap again, I decided to go ahead and do the cb650 cam swap which is supposed to lean it out a hair (which I was hoping would make it just right). I put in the tach drive and the new tachometer (which is much nicer than my old one). However, being a noob with engine work, it looks like I have effed something up as there is now a squealing noise when I turn the engine over (after it wouldn't start). So, at this point, it looks like the head is going to have to come off to investigate further.

If you are interested in this particular problem, it is posted with videos and getting a fair amount of interest at this thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113475.0

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 09:31:43 am »
Engine disassembly in progress:

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
Re: My first CB - Here we go! Engine disassembly in progress.
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 08:29:46 pm »
The engine is out. I hope I am not making a big mistake here. I am a little anxious. I guess it is no turning back at this point though.

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 07:14:39 am »
Please move your gas tank to a safer place ---- its just begging to get bumped and fall!
 ;)
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:17 am »
Man I was just thinking the same thing. BTW Jerry I ordered the stuff to redo my wiring harness with . Thanks again..........Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:39 am »
Nice Carvin. If they made a DC747 kit I would love to attempt a Vai swirl paint job. On to more important things. Awesome SEAT! How much did that run you and what are the details. I have a guy local and wanted to do brown leather just like that, but haven't gotten around to being seat-less yet. Waiting for the temps to drop a little more.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout