Author Topic: Putting the motor back in....  (Read 1094 times)

Offline JBS

Putting the motor back in....
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:49:24 am »
Hello- My first post here, looking for some advice, tips or secrets. First off, I have a '71 CB500 that i'm going the cafe route with. It was an all original complete bike in good shape with about 8,500 miles on it. I have it completely disassembled and have sent the frame off to powder coat.

My question is this: Getting that motor out of the frame was a bit of a task. I had never done it before and found it a little more difficult that I had imagined. Now I'm a little nervous of how in the hell I'm going to get it back in the frame without screwing up my new paint! I plan on taping the frame up, but are there any other tricks you all could tell me about? for example, what side is it easier to put it in from, is there an easier side? Take all the carbs off, exhaust studs out... etc. Anything else? Thanks 

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
Re: Putting the motor back in....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:39 am »
Carbs off. Insert motor from right-hand side (if you're on the bike). When I did it I had some buds help out and layed the motor on its side (on blankets!!) then laid the frame on top and stood it up. Way easier to do with a 500/550 than a 750. You might also grind off the flange on the front lower RH motor mount (ala Hondaman's book) and that will give you a couple mm extra clearance - search for this, I'm sure it's posted here somewhere. Other than that, just take your time and be careful!
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline JBS

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:52 am »
Carbs off. Insert motor from right-hand side (if you're on the bike). When I did it I had some buds help out and layed the motor on its side (on blankets!!) then laid the frame on top and stood it up. Way easier to do with a 500/550 than a 750. You might also grind off the flange on the front lower RH motor mount (ala Hondaman's book) and that will give you a couple mm extra clearance - search for this, I'm sure it's posted here somewhere. Other than that, just take your time and be careful!

Thanks Tugboat. I just did a search and found some clever ways. I think I should be good.

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:49:00 am »
I lay the motor on its right side,(on carpet), throw a sheet over the motor, then lower the frame onto it. Pull the sheet back just enough to get a couple of bolts in, pull the rest of the sheet out and viola! No scratches!

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:52 pm »
Lower the frame over the engine. It is much easier!!!

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:57 pm »

"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:53:27 pm »
That engine is cleaner than ... I can't readily think of anything cleaner than that.

Please come to my house and help me clean my engine!

;-)
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.