Author Topic: Noise from front wheel  (Read 761 times)

Offline pavlis

• Older? Wiser?
    • prescottMedia
Noise from front wheel
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »
HI.

Just finished getting my 550 back together for Spring. Started right up (after I remembered to open the petcock, after I remembered to pull the choke out). I was psyched. My first de-winterization with this bike. First de-winterization in about 30 years!

It took me about 25 yards from my house to realize that all was not well.

Starting at about 5mph, there began a very unpleasant scratching, rubbing, clicking kind of sound. Almost like a playing card in the spokes. Nothing was done over the winter to the front wheel and it was fine when I parked it. (where have I heard THAT before?)

The bike was on the center stand over the winter in a non-heated space. The front wheel was not lifted.

When I take the weight off the front, the wheel spins. Not like a roulette wheel, but it will do a couple of rotations when you give it a spin. One thing I did notice was a single "click" when changing the direction of rotation.

I assume the problem is a wheel bearing. Dried out, flat-spotted, whatever. Anybody have a differing opinion?

Thanks.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: Noise from front wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »
Possibly the speedo drive?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline pavlis

• Older? Wiser?
    • prescottMedia
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »
Thanks Les. That should be simple to test. Wish I'd thought of trying that earlier.

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »
After ruling out the speedo cable and gear, I'd take off the wheel. I guess you can feel a worn bearing by turning the axle by hand.
1976 CB550F