Author Topic: Replacement hoses (oil)  (Read 5070 times)

Offline craig5_12

Replacement hoses (oil)
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:18:24 pm »
I tried searching, but it seems hose and hoses has never been mentioned here...which doesn't sound right...maybe I'm missing something?
Anyhow, after finally getting one of the bikes on the road, it traveled about 50 miles and one of the hoses from the oil reservoir got about a 1/2" crack in it and leaked out all of the oil...well almost all.  My searches for replacement oil lines has come up pretty fruitless...I'm not spending $92 on an OEM replacement from bikebandit.  Has anyone repaired their own hoses or do you know where we can get new ones?

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
Re: Replacement hoses (oil)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »
Salvage yard..............................???????
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline craig5_12

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »
Yeah, I'll probably go that route...but wanted to bounce it off the forum first.  I had a spare from another bike that I installed and it did the same thing after a few minutes of the motor running.  I don't want to have a salvaged one do the same thing...maybe it was just my bad luck.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:46:21 pm »
Maybe, but I have one that has a continouis small leak. I can't be sure but, it seem like it is leaking from the hose to tank connection.

I have replaced the washers and have tightened it as much as I feel comfortable, without twisting the spout.

So, I'm figuring new hoses too.

So, hopefully your question will be answered for both of us.

Good Luck

Jack
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline david 750f

• Expert
  • 1976 CB750F
1976 CB 750F

Offline nayto550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:13 pm »
As long as the end fittings are in good shape, you can cut off the crimped hose clamp and replace the hose.  Either take the whole thing down to the local hose shop (G&H Distributing is the one here) and they can possibly fit a new crimp-clamp or you can just use regular old worm-drive hose clamps.

*EDIT:
Another option,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB750-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Oil-Lines-/280862252814?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&vxp=mtr&hash=item4164b1df0e

This is exactly what this guy is doing... I would guess he's probably spending $50-60 to make these, including buying the old hoses for the fittings.

**double edit bonus!!
I took a picture quick-like to clarify what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:13:01 pm by nayto550 »
1976 CB550F
1976 CB750F - in resurrection process
1988 HD FLHS

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »
If you have a 750 I don't think you're going to pay $92 to Bike Bandit or any other Honda dealer. It's my understanding that they are not available/discontinued quite a while ago. I could be wrong though.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline craig5_12

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
Thanks Nayto!  Why I didn't think of that, I don't know...

Offline cougar

• Hot Shot
  • Stamping Ground, Kentucky U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »
Hey Craig ; Try your local NAPA. The one here in my town makes the hydraulic hoses for the local Rock Quary and have a large assortment of fittings as well. Just a thought Plus it keeps your dollars Local.  ;D   ...cougar...
I'm not prejudice, I'll weld anything that pays! Knowledge that is shared is Never Lost!!   Right is right, wrong is wrong! The truth is the truth and a lie is a lie! DEAL WITH IT ACCORDINGLY !!!   I HATE "DIAL-UP"

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
As long as the end fittings are in good shape, you can cut off the crimped hose clamp and replace the hose.  Either take the whole thing down to the local hose shop (G&H Distributing is the one here) and they can possibly fit a new crimp-clamp or you can just use regular old worm-drive hose clamps.

I took a picture quick-like to clarify what I'm talking about.

1+ Simply cut off the the old stuff and get oil resistant hose from the local auto parts store. Near as I can recall, it's 9/16 or 5/8" ID hose. I also prefer the narrow hose clamps. These lines are not under any pressure, so stainless is over-kill, IMO.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:00 pm »
Here is the best pic I can find of my oil hose:
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:00 pm »
I just don't understand why people won't put their info in their signature....they expect people to know what bike they have.  If you have a cb750, there are a lot of parts out there for sale...you just have to look

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105093.0
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 07:45:57 pm »
I just don't understand why people won't put their info in their signature....they expect people to know what bike they have.  If you have a cb750, there are a lot of parts out there for sale...you just have to look

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105093.0
As far as I know, CB750's were the only SOHCs that used dry-sumps and oil hoses. ;)

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »
I take my old hoses down to the local industrial hose shop and they cut off the old and replace with new stainless lines and brass crimps for $47.00 out the door for both hoses. 

No need for the function of stainless hoses, but they sure look nice.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:08 pm »
I take my old hoses down to the local industrial hose shop and they cut off the old and replace with new stainless lines and brass crimps for $47.00 out the door for both hoses. 

No need for the function of stainless hoses, but they sure look nice.
Nice....I love brass. I'd chrome or zinc those big nuts though. ;) ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Elan

• Expert
    • Vital Motor Parts
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 08:14:57 am »
i've been wondering if there is a "turbo adapter fitting" that might work as an oil line fintting on the sohc....

Oil Pump Kits are Available on eBay!See my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/Vital-Motor-Parts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

k6 build   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=79833.0

76 750k

Offline Ira

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:09 am »
Somewhat related-

I recently noticed my hoses leaking at the engine, and attempted to replace the o-rings.  The Honda part is listed as around $12 for the pair, and were on back-order from every place I tried.  I was able to source the correct size and material locally and have a few extras on hand.

Message me if you need some- $6 shipped for 2 seals.