Author Topic: Valve Adjustment Q complete with picture!  (Read 1938 times)

pegula

Valve Adjustment Q complete with picture!
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:38:06 pm »
I'm trying to do my first valve adjustment on my 72 350 and I've run into 2 questions.

1. The spec I have says the clearance should be .05mm, it looks like mine are currently about a quarter inch. Can that be or am I measuring the wrong thing? See attached (blurry) picture.

2. It says to adjust the clearance you remove the lock nut and turn the screw. What I think is the screw doesn't have a slot in the top to turn it -- it's just a square. Do I need a special tool? Just pliers? Or, again, am I looking at the wrong thing?

Many thanks

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
Re: Valve Adjustment Q complete with picture!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:15:27 pm »
Seems to me that you are missing the nut and your tappet doesn't  have a screw slot, hmmmmm?.  My tappet clearly has a slot in the top for a screw driver and a nut below it.  Like you suggested your clearance is way too large.  Is this the way you sound it after you removed the tappet access hole bolt?  Do they all look like this?
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:35:51 pm »
Some Hondas did come with square peg type tappet blocks, and would have had the tool to do the job in the tool kit.
A small spanner (wrench) can be used, or pliers if you must.

The locking nut does not need to be removed completely, just slackened enough to do the job.

I take it you have aligned the crankshaft to the correct position before taking the clearance measurment.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

pegula

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:40:13 pm »
Sorry, that picture is actually after I took the nut off ot the tappet screw. And yes, I think the crankshaft is aligned properly

Upon further inspection, I think I was measuring/looking at the wrong thing -- the clearance is actually the clearance between the screw and the bottom -- not between where the thing the screw goes into and the bottom? Does that sound right? That was a horrible non technical description, sorry I'm a rookie :)

So I think I have things figured out but I'm still getting the feel for using the feeler. I realize that .05mm is extremely small but should you actually be able to notice the movement that distance? After I did cyl #1 to what I think is correct, there is an extremly slight movement. None of the other ones (which I have not touched) move at all.

Thanks!

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 07:07:08 pm »
but I'm still getting the feel for using the feeler
  ;D

There would only be movement when the piston in question is at TDC, or top dead center (which is where you want it to be for adjustment). At that point the valves are closed and the there is not tension on the valve stems.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:27 pm »
Don't focus so much on measuring what they are now - work on adjusting them to what they need to be.

Remove the nut and loosen off the tappet.  Put your feeler gauge between the tappet and the valve stem.  Tighten down the tappet till it touches the feeler and holds it in place.  Tighten up the nut.  The feeler should be held in place, but you should be able to remove it without having to yank on it or haul on it.  The next size-up feeler gauge's nose should just notch into the gap at that point, but not actually fit between the tappet and valve.

Repeat repeat repeat, moving the engine to TDC as specified in your manual.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline DaveInTexas

• Enthusiast
  • 1970 CB750
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 12:13:05 am »
this is done cold?
0.002"?

pegula

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 03:33:10 am »
Good deal, now that I have more of a game plan I think I'll be good to go tonight. Now if only I didn't have to go to work today :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes!
Matthew

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 04:00:17 am »
this is done cold?
0.002"?

Yes, and yes.

Intake - 0.002, Exhaust - 0.003
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:57:38 am »
...and when it says cold, it means cold...that is, it should have been [at least] 8hrs since the motor has been ran...
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"