Author Topic: Finally low idle on CB550k!!!!!  (Read 627 times)

Offline stevenwr

Finally low idle on CB550k!!!!!
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »
Last Year I finished restoring a 1978 CB550K and had great difficulties getting a low idle. The only way I could get 1100rpm idle was to back out the choke adjusting screw on the carb....which meant I had no choke. I just replaced the o-rings from the intake manifold to the head and put in new boots from the carbs to the air box. I fired it up, adjusted my choke so it actually works.....turned off the choke and the idle went blow 1000rpm...adjusted the idle and low and behold 1100rpm idle!!!!YeeeeHaaaa! Lesson learned...don't cheap out and reuse 34 year old o-rings. ::)

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: Finally low idle on CB550k!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:33 pm »
What O-rings are these? I can't picture what you mean.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline stevenwr

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »
Between the carb and the engine you have black rubber boots attaching the carbs to the intake manifolds. There are two manifolds: #1, #3. If you remove both manifolds from the head there are o-rings that go between the manifold and the head.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:22:11 pm »
I don't think I ever had those off. Thanks for enlightening us.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline stevenwr

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »
The old o-rings were pretty flat, I put on DC-5 o-ring grease thinking it would make the o-rings swell....didn't work. New o-rings were $10 for the four of them.