Author Topic: Aftermarket switch wiring help  (Read 740 times)

Offline CafeWild34

Aftermarket switch wiring help
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »
Hello all I need help knowing which wires to connect to which on my new switches. I have a 1975 cb550k model.

The right switch I have has:

Yellow w/red stipe- I am going to guess it goes to the yellow w/red stripe

For the kill switch part it has three wires
Light blue
Orange
Grey
The light blue and orange are closer to the right if sitting on the bike and the grey on the left

For the headlight on/off part it has four wires
Blue w/white stripe    Towards the top
Black    In the middle
Brown   In the middle
Brown w/white stripe     Towards the bottom

The left switch has:  I think I have more of this one figured out

Light green-to light green on bike for horn

For the high low beam part it has
Blue    Goes to dark blue on bike I think for high beam
Brown   Goes to brown/red stripe I think
White   Goes to white on bike I think for low beam

For the turn signal part it has
Orange goes to orange wire on bike for left turn signal
Grey goes to grey
Light blue goes to light blue for right turn signal

The last wire I have is a dark green one that is right above the horn button on the inside, this the only I'm not sure of on this one.

Any and all help is appreciated if you need more info just let me know. Also what do I do with the left over wires just leave them there and tape off the end or something? Thank you

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Aftermarket switch wiring help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
That sure doesn't sound like a Honda wiring code!
You may have to just figure it out using an ohmmeter?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline CafeWild34

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:08 pm »
Well the ones I named are the colors coming out of my aftermarket switches I just need to know which color wires to hook up to from the stock Honda wiring harness. I just cut the wires from the old ones and the new ones have less wires and different colors. I pretty much have the left one sured up besides the one dark green wire. The right one is the one I'm not sure about. I have the wires I cut taped off in bundles of what they came from I'm just not sure which ones to use for my new switch.

The wires I have from the harness are:

Starter button wires are green with red stripe and yellow with red stripe I guess I don't need the green with red stripe?

Headlight on/off wires are brown with white stripe and black

Kill switch wires are black with white stripe and black

So actually my new right side switch has two more wires than the stock harness and my left side has less. I think the new right side has more because it has three positions for the headlight so i dont think i will need them all but i dunno. Hopefully that might help.

Offline CafeWild34

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »
I spent the day hooking up both switches and here is where I stand now. The headlight on/off works along with the high low switch. Both rear blinkers work but neither front ones work. I keep blowing the tail light fuse and after doing a search found out it is a simple circuit and is most likely shorting out some where. So after I get off work I need to find the short and then try to figure out why the front blinkers aren't working. My new switch only has one wire per blinker but I don't really think that is why thy aren't working since the rear ones are working I have everything on the left switch connected like I said in the first post. The only wire I don't have connected is the dark green one but I'm not sure where to connect it.