Author Topic: Honda 400/4 Restoration (UK)  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Mattb_uk

Honda 400/4 Restoration (UK)
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:47:14 am »
Hi All, first post on here but have been visiting regularly, particularly the projects section and researching on 400/4s etc, but I have now just started restoring (restoring is perhaps a bit strong a terms as it is as much a learning exercise as it is about getting the bike ship shape again and to be fair I'm starting with a relatively decent example....

Anyway, I have started a thread on Bike Chat Forum in the UK but I figured I would document it here too as it is apparent there is no better place to come for knowledge and insight into these bikes.  Ill start by pretty much copying and pasting my first two posts from BCF but from then Ill update each thread as they come, it cant hurt to have more help etc can it.

Here goes...

This thread will hopefully be the story of the restoration of my Honda 400/4.

I dint really know where to start but I guess the reason I am doing this in the first place is because I have always been interested in all things mechanical and enjoyed tinkering on previous bikes but I have never had the guts / knowledge to just get stuck in and strip an engine/frame down and really get my hands dirty.

I am basically a complete novice when it comes to things like this so you may have to bear with me a little, i could be asking a lot of very simple/obvious questions! I have done top end rebuilds on air cooled 125s in the past and taken engines in and out of my CB500 race bike, but the thought of going inside an engine, and doing a proper build had previously filled me with fear!

I bought the 400/4 because it was the first bike I ever sat on and have always wanted one. I have had bigger and faster road bikes, but i didn't want anything too fast as I get my speed fixes on the track and personally prefer to ride something you have to work at a little bit to go fast on the road. I had been looking for a while and good examples go for £2,000 up to £3,500 plus for an immaculate one. I wanted something I could ride for the summer and then rebuild over the winter. Eventually this one came up for £1800 on eBay with a decent enough looking history and condition. The previous owner said there was a rattle, which he suspected to be cam chain. I have done my research and this was a common problem with these bikes so it didn't put me off so I offered £1250 and he accepted. Sorted!

I collected the bike and the general condition was pretty good, no nasty surprises and the expensive things, downpipes, tank, mudguards etc all look in decent conditions with no major signs of corrosion etc. The engine had the rattle but again i had done my research and looks at the various ways of adjusting the cam chain as the adjusters can seize and wear apparently. I wasn't entirely surprised when all the stated methods didn't work, so have come to the conclusion that the adjuster has seized or the chain itself has become so slack that it has worn away at the pivot of the horseshoe adjuster (apologies, not sure of the right term but I'm sure some of you will know what I mean) preventing it moving freely.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion to do the rebuild now and just get stuck in, the only way to get over my fear of engine internals i figured was to stop worrying about it and just go for it, I figured there is masses of info on these bikes on line and hopefully you knowledgable/kind/good good looking folks will offer some words of wisdom/encouragement/condolences etc to see me through, and hopefully keeping this record will give me some motivation to see it through to the end.

I realise threads like this are less interesting without pics so have taken pics of progress up until now.

Oh yes...I suppose the I should say what I am equally trying to achieve. because of the cam chain issue i want to replace the cam chain and adjusters etc. You can get split chains but I want to do it properly and fit a genuine closed chain and also to get to the 'horseshoe' adjuster I will need to split the cases and find out what a bottom end looks like! While I am doing all this I'd like to clean the engine up and get it sparkling again and when and if this is complete do the frame. Originally I wanted to ride the bike in the summer so I might just do the engine and ride the bike this summer and do the frame and bodywork etc over winter. This might change later on depending on how well its all going.

Right, onto the bit we all love, the pics.....

This is what I bought for my £1,250....Engine and luggage rack were the first things to go, I ha vent weighed them yet but the power/weight ratio must of dramatically improved since!

Offline Mattb_uk

Re: Honda 400/4 Restoration (UK)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52:02 am »
I know everyone appreciates a good garage pic, so here is ours, its also where Ill be doing the strip/re-build....

Furthest away is my CB500 race bike, then we have the 400/4, then my girlfriends NC30 and you can just see the mudguard of my XR400.

On with the strip down...

Tank off....so far so good, I can do this....

Rocker cover off, all looks normal to me....

I took the rocker cover off before taking the engine out because there was a method of adjusting the cam chain or at least diagnosing the what the fault was by taking the cover off and losening the two bolts on the adjuster arm and seeing if it jumps forward. Overall I came to the conclusion via some proding around that the chain was definately too lose and the the engine needed to come out and the full strip down begun....

Headers off...

Carbs were a bugger to get off, then the engine came out....

on the bench....

Offline Mattb_uk

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:57:32 am »
Camshaft out, along with tensioner slipper guide, I thought it odd that the groves in the guide ran at a slight diagonal rather than prefectly vertical, is this normal?!....

Head off, piston crowns look a bit sooted up, as did the valves, does this mean it was running rich?....

I wasnt working in great light but the bores looked good to me, if a little glazed, though like I said hard to tell in the light

And finally, where I am at now...

I'd be really grateful if anyone who knows these bikes could just let me know what if anything I shoul dbe looking out for as i begin to strip it further.

Cheers,

Matt  :D

Offline Mattb_uk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:05:08 am »
Its been a while, but I have bene chipping away at it when I have had a few minutes.....

Fly wheel off next, though a bit worried the puller damaged the flywheel, i didnt realise they were so soft?....

I assume this isnt enough damge to cause a detrimental effect to the running of the bike....

Right, come up against a bit of a problem here....

For the life of me I can't get the castle nut off the clutch hub, the manual says you can get it off without the castle socket so i tried that and nothing, I didnt want to damage it too much so I waited and got myself the proper castle socket to fit. Nothing, it wont even budge a fraction, tried an impact drive too, nothing still.

Am I doing somethign wrong? Initially the hub just spins unless you engage the clutch, which I cna only seem to do by forcing the plates togeter with a screwdriver!

Am I making a really obvious amateurs mistake here or am I missing something?!

Any suggestions more than welcome, as I am  ???

Offline kajtek

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:50:57 am »
hey, good to see another uk 400 on the forum.

ran in to the same thing with the castle nut and the engine out. real pain, normally with the engine in the frame you just engage a gear and get someone to hold the back brake but not an option when its out.

i basically put the engine in gear, and i cant remember exactly what i used, some sort of adjustable spanner, i attached it to the splined output, and positioned such that as i turned the clutch it locked the gearbox, the spanner was pressing gainst the casing if i remember right. does that make any sense?

putting it back to together i tried a different way to tighten using the engines compression, cant remember exactly how but i used some washers and the clutch springs and sortof 'locked' the clutch by tightening the springs down. i know i did it so it can be done!

pretty certain i used an impact driver to remove it when dismantling too.

good luck!
1978 honda cb400f supersport

Offline Mattb_uk

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 01:35:46 am »
Thanks for the post, I have finally got the nut off, felt like I'd won the lottery!

Engine is all stripped now, will post some photos later.

Felt justified in the decision to strip it right down now as the cam chain adjuster was well work and the pivot wasn't pivoting any more.

Fingers crossed I can get it all back together!!

Offline Kwality

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:17:49 pm »
That cam chain adjuster issue is not uncommon.  The loose camchain rattles around and rubs on the pivot point of the adjuster mechanism, wearing it down such that it will no longer pivot.  I took a file to mine and smoothed out the burrs. Regular preventative maintenance ought to prevent recurrence.

Also, I used a modified socket on a pneumatic rattle gun to get the clutch castle nut off.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:26:04 pm »
Matt,

Welcome to the board. You're right, this is a fantastic resource for the CB400F.

You may find some great information in Jensen's thread about the internals of the CB400F.

My thread won't be of much use to you about the internals, but might be worth a read for just about everything else.

Good luck to ya' mate.

Rick.