Author Topic: broken clutch lifter plate needed, but now I have an idea....  (Read 3366 times)

Offline 750four

• Enthusiast
  • Bomb's away!!!
So I just put the final turn on my new Barnett clutch kit with springs and all. Drilled the clutch hub for oiling via direction from HM. I was on the backstretch taking my time alternating back and forth on the clutch plate lifter when the bolt turned. You know the feeling if you've done this. #$%*! either I just stripped the clutch back plate ear or I...yep, cracked the lifter plate. Boooooo, I need this part so I can get it fixed in time for Memorial day!

My local graveyard is lacking any cb750 sohc's let alone a K1. So if anyone has a part and can ship asap, I'll pay for it.

But here is another thought.
Will a later cb750 clutch fit in the early engines. The later ones look to have 6 ears, 6 springs. Much better sounding to me. I also wonder if the really plates would fit into that hub. Just a thought....

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: broken clutch lifter plate needed, but now I have an idea....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »
I have a broken one that has been welded back together. PM if interested.

On my first CB750, I broke the plate putting the clutch back together. I bought a new one an broke that, too.  >:(  My dad works in a machine shop and made up a little jig to hold the pieces and welded it back together. He welded both of them and it held as I put it all together. I still have the other one sitting in the jig.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline 750four

• Enthusiast
  • Bomb's away!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:35:05 pm »
Thanks, I 'm going to take the broken on into my work and see if I can't either make a better one or fix the broken one. Just have to see if that bearing comes out or not.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:51:32 pm »
This must be the 5th thread in as many weeks about broken lifter plates. While its true care must be taken tightening them down, alternate and rotate the bolts etc. I have never seen one break where it wasn't a case of the splines and notches of the pressure plate and the hub not being lined up. Obviously there are four spring posts meaning there are only 4 ways the 2 can be meshed together.

But in reality there is only one way (maybe 2 at most) they can go back together and have the splines and notches line up.

If care is not given to this issue, the plate will break every time. I can't get the search function to work, so I'll have to do it from scratch.

Right way:

Wrong way:

When disassembling, its suggested that you mark a post and an adjacent spot on the hub, so it goes back together properly.

If this wasn't your problem, then nevermind. But sooner or later we're going to run out of lifter plates like unicorn fork bridges.  ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »
So I just put the final turn on my new Barnett clutch kit with springs and all. Drilled the clutch hub for oiling via direction from HM. I was on the backstretch taking my time alternating back and forth on the clutch plate lifter when the bolt turned. You know the feeling if you've done this. #$%*! either I just stripped the clutch back plate ear or I...yep, cracked the lifter plate. Boooooo, I need this part so I can get it fixed in time for Memorial day!

My local graveyard is lacking any cb750 sohc's let alone a K1. So if anyone has a part and can ship asap, I'll pay for it.

But here is another thought.
Will a later cb750 clutch fit in the early engines. The later ones look to have 6 ears, 6 springs. Much better sounding to me. I also wonder if the really plates would fit into that hub. Just a thought....

You can order a new one from Honda.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline 750four

• Enthusiast
  • Bomb's away!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »
Ya as it seemed, the other 3 where there. I had a 1/2 turn to finish it off on the 4th and final bolt. Snapped off. I know the splines where good, but as far as the alignment on the 4 tapped studs, maybe not so much. That's what I had just been looking at actually. There is a small groove in the lifter plate ring on the backside. I'm thinking the last stud didn't seat in there correctly. Or maybe is just because it's 40 year old cheap ass cast aluminum that's an 1/8th" thick with a ring groove in it.?? Chinsey stuff, that's why I'de be interested to know if a later style 6 stud hub would work. Or possibly an aftermarket part. Or maybe a member here with an extra one to help out. Could use a hand , lesson learned on my own. Thanks