Author Topic: PO redid my ignition?  (Read 1555 times)

Barterer

PO redid my ignition?
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:47:47 pm »
So I'm going through my CB750 and popped the points cover off, ready to disassemble/polish/grease/replace whatever parts were there and would probably look like they dragged them out of the Titanic.. and HUHH?   :o  A "Dynas Ignition" something or other.  It looks fairly new.

A search for "Dynas Ignition" or just "Dynas" did not turn up anything on this site.  I am wondering if they are any good.  Did the PO do me a favor? Is this thing better than the standard points setup?  I am not looking for 100% authenticity.. just need something reliable. 

The bike misses on cyls 1 and 2 intermittently, which could be a fuel problem, I don't know.  Seems like if the ignition was still stock, I'd suspect the carbs more (I'll be going through them too, for sure) because the points fire 1&4, then 2&3 correct? I wonder if it's the same after you convert to one of these gadgets.

Offline Rgconner

• Hot Shot
Re: PO redid my ignition?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »
Dyna S, with a space.

Could be a bad coil, or it could be a bad Dyna S ignition. read up to find out how to diagnose.
1975 CB550K aka "Grease Monkey"

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:49:17 pm »
The Dyna fires 1-4 , 2-3 just like the points.
The Dyna S is pretty a pretty common and popular ignition upgrade.
I love mine, but others prefer points.

Check the plug caps. If they've never been replaced they're probably bad.
The caps unscrew from the wires and you can check them with an ohm meter.
You can cut 1/4 or so from the wires to expose some fresh wire to make sure they're making good contact.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:33:04 pm »
I have a Dyna, but not sure if it is the S, I would have to check.  I have ridden about 20k miles over the last decade with the Dyna in mine.  I have never had to touch it.  Much like yours, the PO had installed it.  I found plenty of things that caused my bike (CB750 1974) to run poorly including poorly cleaned and jetted carbs, dirty plugs, bad connections in the spark plug wire caps.  The usual suspects. ;)

Some have reported problems with Dyna ignitions.  In fact, some people get rather animated when discussing the merits of various ignitions.  Having never owned a bike with points, besides an ancient Lambretta 150, I have to say that I don't know much about maintaining points based ignition systems, so I don't comment too much on other ignition systems. 

I don't know how long the Dyna had been there prior to that, but I can verify that it has been in place since before September '99 when I purchased the bike. 

Take that for what it is worth, but I would check some other areas of the bike before I worried about the Dyna ignition.  My recommendation is to check the ignition wires for loose connections then check the plugs and replace them if they are questionable.  Use the proper plugs for your wires.  If the stock wires are present, they have resistance built into the caps.  In that case you need non-resistor plugs.  If all that looks good then consider running some Sea Foam through the fuel system to see if the miss clears up.  This is also frowned upon by some, but has worked for me. 

Best of luck and keep us posted with regards to your progress and failures.  I learn as much from my failures as I do my progress, but the failures usually cost me more!  ;D

Luckily we have this forum.  A place where we all learn together and sometimes avoid the costly mistakes by seeing what others have accomplished!

You have come to the right place for help.  Welcome aboard!

Kirk

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:39:10 pm by kpier883 »
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »
I have had Dyna problems as have a lot of others. As was said the Dyna fires 1-4 2-3. It would be unlikely the Dyna would do that. They seem to drop cylinders in the firing order. I would look at the wires as was mentioned, also look at the Dyna connections, you could have a loose connection that is intermittent.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Barterer

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »
Thanks so much for the help guys, I will look into those plug wires and overall ignition wires, as well as the carbs.  I won't suspect the ignition module just yet, since firing of cyls 3 and 4 has been reliable. 

The PO said he spent a fortune getting the carbs serviced, and warned me not to let it sit too long (translation: he let it sit too long, twice, and got it going good enough to sell).

Anyway, I bought a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and will pass each carb through it, using the PineSol trick.  I'll follow up and post whatever the problem turned out to be.
Thanks,
John

Barterer

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:01:52 pm »
Well on closer inspection I saw that the PO also replaced the plug wires, unless the k6 came with NGK gear (probably not, huh?) and everything looks all right ignition-wise. 

After a few engine starts and running fresh gas and solvent through the carbs, the problem seems to have resolved itself.  I think a couple of float valves were sticking and leaking, causing the cylinders to run pig-rich and foul the plugs.  I pulled one and it reeked of gas, plus the engine oil smelled like gas too.. dang.  So now it's got fresh oil and I will be sure to turn off the petcock the second the engine is off, until I get time to redo the float valves.  Thank goodness the petcock works, I checked it by opening a carb drain screw and verifying that the gas can be turned fully off at the valve.

Since it's running on all 4 cylinders and the brake screeching has subsided a bit, I'm tempted to take it over to the Draft House for vintage bike night  :D  Nah, with my luck I'd get busted for no turn signal lenses. 

...piece by piece...  8)

Cheers,
John

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »

Since it's running on all 4 cylinders and the brake screeching has subsided a bit, I'm tempted to take it over to the Draft House for vintage bike night  :D  Nah, with my luck I'd get busted for no turn signal lenses. 

...piece by piece...  8)

Cheers,
John

Oh hey, I didn't even notice you were in Austin!  Maybe I'll see you at the pub some time. :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Barterer

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »
Heck yeah, the Draft House rules.  I have pretty much all the parts needed to get my bike roadworthy and take it over there to show off, I just need the time to work on it.. it is slow going, due to family obligations.  Fortunately, the CB is very forgiving and does not seem to be going backwards on me.  With some projects, the more I do, the more I see that I have to do.  With this one, checking things over is resulting in pleasant surprises. 

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »
Glad you got it running better.  Another one close to being road ready is a good thing.  Hopefully you will have some time soon to work out the other kinks. 

It would be a good thing to check the valve clearances within the first 500 miles or so.  You never know how well or poorly they were adjusted.  Valves that are too loose or tight can be both a short term running problem and a long term problem.  The long term issues caused by running them out of adjustment for an extended period of time is the kind of problem that costs $$$$.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:46:02 pm by kpier883 »
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 06:53:35 am »
It would be a good thing to check the valve clearances within the first 500 miles or so.  You never know how well or poorly they were adjusted.

+1 on doing a valve clearance check/adjust.

Barterer

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 07:31:03 am »
It would be a good thing to check the valve clearances within the first 500 miles or so.  You never know how well or poorly they were adjusted.
Will do.  The engine has a little noise to it that I figure is either loose valves and/or the cam chain.  Of course it could also be that the valves are tight AND the cam chain is loose.. not good.  I will definitely get to those in the coming weeks, and before putting any miles on it.