Author Topic: Neutral Light wont shut off  (Read 3254 times)

Offline exf5003

Neutral Light wont shut off
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:23:51 pm »
I took my 74 CB750 out for a good long ride today and now my neutral light wont turn off.  I can be on every gear and the neutral light will stay on.  I turned the bike off and let cool for a good hour and turned it back on and took a quick spin with same results. Oil light goes off like normal once started and in gear and the bike will catch neutral like normal but light remains on at all time.  Any ideas???

Offline adamlwvdc36

Re: Neutral Light wont shut off
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
pull your shifter cover and ensure the wire from the neutral switch didnt get grabbed by the chain.. if it did fix it and get those wires away from that chain, the oil sending unit wire is also under there as well as your 3 phase generator wires.  thats where i would start.  4 screws after pulling the shifter off.  easy
_ADaM

Be a COWBOY, not a NERD!  youre riding an antique bad ass motorcycle for God's sake...

75 CB550 Named "Don Casper"  Don for grandpa, Casper for the guy that mentored me to riding... RIP Kenny...

Offline exf5003

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:16:09 am »
thanks for the reply back adamlwvdc36 but before i start that little project, if the wire did get grabbed by the chain i would suspect more damage to be done then the light not turning off.  I noticed this problem and was able to ride it with no problem and get home a good 30 miles away, so by that time i probably shouldnt even have a wire from the neutral switch. Anything else i can check on first before pulling cover off?

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:02:30 am »
I don't know the 74 models specifically but most fours have a starter safety system that lets the starter work only in neutral or with the clutch disengaged: if you have a clutch lever switch with wires coming from the clutch lever perch then you have this system and it may be your problem.
If you unplug the motor electrical connector and the neutral light goes off (in gear!) then the transmission neutral switch is the problem. If it stays stays on then that switch is probably fine, and your problem is in the harness or the starter safety circuit.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 07:44:20 am »
I have seen the neutral switch itself broken so that the little cam won't move. I would be looking behind that chain cover before anything else.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline adamlwvdc36

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 07:46:48 am »
I only tell you this from personal experience man.  It may not be the problem, but it could be, it was on mine,  the wires are somewhat protected inside a webbing so they may not completely rip apart but the chain can wear on the insulation.  both the neutral switch and the oil switch complete PATHS TO GROUND to indicate... on my bike, the chain rubbed on the oil switch wire completing that path... without pulling the wires out or causing too much of a problem (other than the oil light coming on)  I cut away the webbing, and re insulated the wire. either way, you have to take that cover off to either inspect the wire or replace the switch.  since they both complete paths to ground, and are not part of a sensor/relay circuit, the only way this could be happening is if the wire is shorting, or the switch wont open back up.

Inspect your wires and let me know... I have attached a snip of the wiring to show you both sensors complete paths to ground, something your chain could provide.
_ADaM

Be a COWBOY, not a NERD!  youre riding an antique bad ass motorcycle for God's sake...

75 CB550 Named "Don Casper"  Don for grandpa, Casper for the guy that mentored me to riding... RIP Kenny...

Offline exf5003

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:44 pm »
That makes sense now, I was imagining the wire being pulled in the chain completely. This project will have to wait til sometime after the holiday weekend but I'll let u know the results. I appreciate the info thanks again.