Author Topic: so this is how u re-upholster your seat custom :D  (Read 7206 times)

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
so this is how u re-upholster your seat custom :D
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:31:21 am »
ok well this is the first time i ever ever reupholstered anything in my life. so you pros out there dont beat me up.

first i wanted something gotti so i decided to do a deep maroon with white raised diamond stitch pattern.

**** this is not possible with a home sewing machine. i was fortunate enough to have an aunt with an industral sewing machine to be able to do all this. u will not be able to sew through all the material. you cant even use the kind of threat i used.****

so what i did is went to Joanns fabrics and picked up some marine grade vinyl. they have a ton of different colors!! i went with a dark maroon.

my aunt had some thick white thread u use on the big industrial sewing machine so i couldnt tell u what kind it is

then i wanted the diamond print to be raised from the pleather so i used some fabric backed foam and sewed the pleather and fabric backed foam together to get that raised print.

**the reason i used fabric backed foam is because its so hard to work with foam sheets or just foam. with the fabric backing its way easier for the needle and thread to just catch the fabric so it dosnt just rip or cut the foam. its easier to use with a sewing machine.**

i used a stencil i made for the diamond print after i got the size and shape i wanted. then i put everything together and sewed the diamond print stitch on the pleather with the fabric backed foam.

next is the seat!

take apart the seat with a razor blade, flat head and philips screw driver (this is if u can actually unscrew the seat strap off)

go around the pan and take of the chrome stripping and save it if urs is still good. mine was destroyed. then take the flat head screw driver and pry pack the clips that hold the fabric.

then i slowly and carefully pulled the foam off the pan so i could inspect the pan, clean and paint it.

i couldnt get my strap off so i had to cut if off and cut around it

i had to take a grinder and cut the bolts off and the bracket since i dont need it anymore

after this i cleaned up the pan and took off all the rust

clean  ;D

then i gave it a quick soap wash, a nice dry and took some black spray paint and painted the pan to stop any further rust

after the pan was ready i took some locktight spray on adhesive and sprayed the seat pan and foam and re attached it.

after that i cut down the foam with a bread knife and an electric turkey cuter thing

i wanted the seat flat and having a lower profile at the cost of my butt  :P

the back of the seat the foam is quite high and the front was a little low since i had to cut off alot of broken down rotten foam. so i took some of the good foam from the back and placed it in the front.

then used the same spray adhesive and sprayed down the extra piece of foam

now the foam and seat pan is ready plus the fabric.

now putting everything together

first i stretched and held the fabric to get and idea of the shape i had to cut. then i sewed a border around the fabric so the diamond stitching wouldn't fray

after getting the general shape and lots of measuring i sewed the corner triangles

this is how it came out

this was surprisingly hard for me anyways and now u can kinda see that this is my first time

then i stretched the new seat cover over and secured it with the stock tabs.

back

front

the only thing i have to do is buy some of the rim strip that goes around the rim of the seat to further secure the fabric down.

i will be sanding off all the chrome and then spraying the stripping black. or maybe i might keep the chrome look and see how it is.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:28:44 pm by xsmooth69x »
1975 CB550 (FINISHED?!?!?)
first motorcycle ever!!! ow and i dont know how to ride it either :D

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

black and white equation godzilla chalkboard 
1972 cb750 - next in line for some <3

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
Re: so this is how u re-upholster your seat custom :D
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:04:35 pm »
the seat edge stripping i only found one place that had it and it was a link from another member

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro_detail-chrome_seat_trim_band-36-2726.htm

but i dont feel like paying $36.... does anyone know an alternative? i really dont care if its chrome.

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:28:13 pm »
My upholstery shop used a matte black stripping on mine - maybe check with a shop to see what they use and ask if you can buy some?  Or at least where they get it?

Also, not my taste, but nice work!  I love to see what people figure out how to do themselves.
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
1971 Kawasaki F7 175 Enduro
2000 Honda VFR800 (gone but not forgotten)

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »
Not a bad looking job for your first time.  I had also recovered the seat on my 350F many years ago using red corduroy and I had shortend the seat pan.  It is a difficult job making it look good.
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline rboe

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »
Full Marks! First time I think you did a pretty darn good job. That diamond pattern was pretty ballsy for a newbie. Can't wait to see it on the bike.
1974 CB350F
2008 XR650L
2012 Griso SE

Past iron
1971 Suzuki TS125
1977 Honda CJ360T
1981 Kawasaki 550Ltd
2000 Moto Guzzi Quota

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 02:46:59 pm »
My upholstery shop used a matte black stripping on mine - maybe check with a shop to see what they use and ask if you can buy some?  Or at least where they get it?

Also, not my taste, but nice work!  I love to see what people figure out how to do themselves.

ya i might have to do that worst comes to worst but the interweb is vast i know there is some kind of alternative or person who sells it cheaper

on my bike though this seat is rad  ;D

Offline l2edken

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:25:25 pm »
that looks amazing, good job!

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »
ya the diamond stiching wasent as bad as i thought.

the stupid triangle fold things i had to sew was hard because every time i put it back on the pan and re-stretched everything my measurements would change.

and surprisingly this materially can stretch!

thanks everyone for the positive feedback  :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note

the seat edge stripping i only found one place that had it and it was a link from another member

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro_detail-chrome_seat_trim_band-36-2726.htm

but i dont feel like paying $36.... does anyone know an alternative? i really dont care if its chrome. i just need something that can hold the fabric on the edges round the seat pan. some of the tabs on the center section of the pan is so spaced out the fabric wont stay tight.

Offline JamesM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »
I dig it, you done good.
Current Stable:

1972 CB750
1973 Shovel
1978 CB750
1977 KZ750T
1996 Shadow VLX

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
Well done... don't forget to post a pic. when it's on the bike !
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »
Nice job.  I used medium sized binder clamps on mine that I borrowed from work.
... Ok, I just took the seat to work and did it there actually.  Your pan was rusted up like my 550 pan.  I have black trim on it that I got from Autozone.  It doesn't seem to fit my 650 seat well though so it has no trim on it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:01:04 pm by fmctm1sw »
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 01:15:44 am »
... Ok, I just took the seat to work and did it there actually.  Your pan was rusted up like my 550 pan.  I have black trim on it that I got from Autozone.  It doesn't seem to fit my 650 seat well though so it has no trim on it.

that black trim from autozone what part of a car is it from? like a car door edge protector trim?

that looks really good btw
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:21:46 am by xsmooth69x »

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 03:20:34 am »
Good job, looks factory perfect  ;D

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:58 am »
i think when i re do my cb750 seat i will probably change my cb550 seat i like and love it and will keep the pattern but i will cut down the sides so it looks more like a skinnier seat but still be the same padding and pop rivet the material to the bottom of the pan instead of clipping and holding the material on the side lips or the pan.

when i get done doing my tank graphics i will post pics of what the seat looks like on the bike with the tank.

i do love the way it looks but just looking at it myself it looks a little thick regardless of the amount of foam i used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this weekend ill be checking into auto stores to see how the door seal guards will fit on the seat pan. my only concern is that the material is so thick on the sides curling over that the door trim will not be wide enough to accommodate. but ill see when i pound it in place. hopefully it will hold then it will be the most epic under $10 solution!

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 11:09:23 am »
Nicely done!!
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 12:43:41 pm »

that black trim from autozone what part of a car is it from? like a car door edge protector trim?

Yeah, I think it is for a door.  I have the original package at home, I'll get a picture later.
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:02 pm »

Yeah, I think it is for a door.  I have the original package at home, I'll get a picture later.

that would be amazing!!

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
so this is how u re-upholster your seat custom :D
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »
At least you didn't cover it with your lucky hawaiian shirt. There a guy maybe this last year that did that and that thread turned into one of those epic threads.

Looking forward to see it on your bike.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3