Author Topic: Simplified wiring  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Jegs

Simplified wiring
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:16:55 am »
Ok so bottom line is: I want to take the electrical down to the bare essentials. As simple as it goes while still having brake light, headlight, kill switch, start button and having it run/charge properly (obviously). I have a 82 650SC with electric start ONLY. I know its a long shot, but has anyone done anything like this and made a wiring diagram? I do have the stock wiring diagram, but with wanting to remove so much, it's not really that helpful.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
'82 CB650SC Nighthawk (in the works)

Offline Jegs

Re: Simplified wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:28:50 am »
I did find another person on here with a similar question, http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104472.0 but it looks incomplete and with almost no useful tips aside from "buy one", it didnt help much.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:03 am »
There's a simplified wiring diagram on the site somewhere, if i find it i will post it here..

Found it

It looks a little goofy but it should help you...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:59:25 am by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:47:33 am »
I dont know that bike but looking at a single reg/rec unit charging colors are yellow red white green black
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1982-Honda-CB650SC-CB-650SC-Nighthawk-Regulator-Rectifier?osCsid=f9c9846f6f3e9501e3b603a8435758a8
 stator to rectifer/regulator yellows to yellows - white to white  red to stater silenoid positive along with ignition (key switch red)
green to ground  black to ignition key switch black
 black ignition side power pigtail off for coils headlight rear runner an brake light
2 wires coming off stater silenoid green/red ground  yellow/red connect to one side of monatery switch 20amp an other side of switch to black ignition
paul
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:29:02 am »
That diagram is useful, but assumes a lot.
What components do you want to keep? The stock switchpods? The stock reg/rect? The horn?
What you need depends on these choices, but:
You need a battery.
You need a fuse.
You need an ignition on/off switch, usually a key switch is used.
You need a momentary starter switch, and the stock solenoid relay for the starter motor. You can use an automotive key switch with the starter function for both ignition and start.
You need a headlight dimmer switch.
You need a brake light switch, and should have one on both front and back brake although back only is usually acceptable.
You should have a horn and horn switch.

The diagram shows all of this, but the "ACC" and "IGN" terminals are confusing. Automotive switches have these, and you can put the lighting on "ACC" so you can have them on without ignition on, but I don't know why that would be useful. Bike switches do not have this, Honda bike key switches usually have a complicated switching system for "parking lights" but you can ignore this and just wire everything to the IGN terminal and not have the "park" position do anything.

The rectifier output and the starter motor connect directly to battery "+", everything else must be fused. The fuse should be as close to the battery as possible to help avoid unfused wiring that can have its insulation rub through and cause serious damage when the wire melts or bursts into flame.
The fused power goes to the ignition switch, the switch output powers everything other than the starter motor.
The horn shown is powered all the time with its ground switched. I prefer to switch the power if possible, powered stuff corrodes faster than unpowered.

I hope you get it working!

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:33 am »
are youi wanting to keep your turn signals the diagram that retro rocket posted is the one i use it's very simple and easy all my electrical on my chopper was custom made by me. you can modify the diagram by using toggle switches for your lights as far as your brake lights go you wont have to change nothing keep your switches that came off the bike same.if you can get another harness that would be better then you can cut out what you don't need retape it and install it and your good to go then you wont violate your original one and if you should want to put it back you have it.my first simple wiring job i used another harness it's very simple
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline Jegs

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:27:51 pm »
I spent all last night going over the stock wiring diagram and cutting the things I dont want/need. I made my own diagram in MS paint haha. Can someone tell me if it will work? I know the headligh doesnt have a dimmer, and the turn signals wont flash. Its going to be ridden in the day time and the signals are only there to avoid getting pulled over. I have hands for signaling. Anyway, any suggestions?

Offline Jegs

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:11:25 pm »
Just an update!

This wiring configuration works ALMOST perfectly. The only problem I'm having is my brake light wont work. Any suggestions? The running light works fine and everything else works great.

Thanks

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 04:06:08 pm »
I don't see why the stop light doesn't work. Maybe its fuse is bad?
But the wiring diagram posted is dangerous. You have unfused power going to the entire wiring harness, this is a very bad practice. If something shorts out, you will have melted wires and probably a fire. The fuses shown are a bit odd, one for the brake light only, this doesn't need a separate fuse if you fuse the ignition switch feed.
You can get away with one 15A fuse, it should be between the battery and the ignition switch. If you want, add another 7A or so fuse in the lighting circuit. You have the tail light fuse in the right place but 15A is oversize for that, 5 or 7 amps is better.
The basic wiring is really good, but you should straighten out the fusing.

Offline Jegs

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:13:39 am »
Thanks for the suggestion.

I just kept the fuses if the stock location in relation to the wiring but eliminated the fuse panel and 2 unused fuses. Im going to run inline fuses instead. 15A is the stock fuse size for this according to the Clymer manual and since it was staying in the same circuit I just kept it the same size. I could probably go a little smaller though since there wont be as much of a draw on those circuits now.