Author Topic: WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR "CAFE" SEAT FROM, HOW DOES IT FIT, ETC....?  (Read 13415 times)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Hello ,

ProTeal55 here sitting sunburned / sore/ and tired from the Mods Vs. Rockers show in the city yesterday.
It was a killer show, and a even better cruise thru the city. Anyone in the general area needs to make plans NOW for next years event..

Anyways, I want a new seat for my scoot. After seeing all those bikes yesterday, my stock seat looked worse and worse.
It looks like it was just thrown on their - and doesnt fit the style I have going with the scoot...
Thinking about just going with a classic "cafe" style fiberglass seatpan, but I am unsure of where to buy it from..
Carpy sells them as a "bolt on" with the seat itself for $450, I know that Glass from the past place sells them for much cheaper, just not sure which one I need that will fit. That Denny guy sells them, but they are stupid $$$.I know I want one with the pad allready on the base, as I dont fee like messing around with making a pad..

So , I know allot of members are running these style seats on their scoots, so if you would :
1. Post a pic of the seat on your bike
2. Let me know where you picked it up from (& price if you dont mind)
3. Any major issues / battles installing it on your ride
4. If you had to do it again , would you buy the same seat, or go with another company

I am still not 100% sure what seat style I am gonna go with, but I do know the stock seat needs to be replaced, as it doesnt
fit the overall look of the bike.

As usually, all help is greatly appreciated.... ;D
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

prsman23@hotmail.c

Re: WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR "CAFE" SEAT FROM, HOW DOES IT FIT, ETC....?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:30:32 am »
Looks like I will probably be getting mine through the air tech, and i'm not sure, but one of them looks like it uses the stock mounting plates for it. I'd like to see it on a bike before I order it. Anyone using this seat?

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 11:50:35 am »
"Camber" seat from e-bay.  You want something about the same width as your tank that will clear the frame rails.  I had to shave off some brackets on the frame so it would sit right.  Mounting this one was a delicate job involving a couple of "U" bolts, a scrap 2X4, a hammer and a chisel.  I should really weld up a proper mount, but you can't see it and it works great.  Plus, I can't weld for sh*t.  If it rots or gets eaten, I'll step up and replace it with treated lumber. :)

Here's my suggestion for what it's worth.  Your bike has more of a "prostreet" look with the tall front wheel and low rear end.  Personally, I'd go for something really minimal like CD811's.  To get a clean look, you may need to do a little hacking on the frame behind the shock mounts.  Maybe just tack a piece of thin sheet metal back there.  You could mock something up real quick with a square piece of plywood just to see how it looks/feels.  It would be a snap to uphoslter somthing like that later.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 11:58:54 am »
I actually bought a solo seat for the project, but when I placed it on the bike it looked wacky, so I sold it. I know I need to do SOMETHING trick for the seat, as it is a main focal point on the scoot. Everyone I talked to at the show this past weekend had their own opinion to what I should do, and I didnt see anything that really caught my eye either..

I agree , as my bike is right in the middle of prostreet / cafe / bobber / streetfighter / rat bike / etc...
I feel if I do a fiberglass seatpan, it will be a "CAFE" from then on, and I am not so sure I want that. Besides that, I am really unsure of my options, and I am really starting to get fustrated in this search.. :-\

The grand master thanks you for your feedback, and requests you keep it comming
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:01:35 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »
I actually bought a solo seat for the project, but when I placed it on the bike it looked wacky, so I sold it. I know I need to do SOMETHING trick for the seat, as it is a main focal point on the scoot. Everyone I talked to at the show this past weekend had their own opinion to what I should do, and I didnt see anything that really caught my eye either..

I agree , as my bike is right in the middle of prostreet / cafe / bobber / streetfighter / rat bike / etc...
I feel if I do a fiberglass seatpan, it will be a "CAFE" from then on, and I am not so sure I want that. Besides that, I am really unsure of my options, and I am really starting to get fustrated in this search.. :-\

The grand master thanks you for your feedback, and requests you keep it comming

I think I would go for a Guiliari-seat on your bike if it was my decision.
It would give it a sportier look than the stock seat, yet it would retain the not-totally-cafe-style you´re aiming for.
It would also give a nice, flowing line together with the tank and it would look great at the rear with no fender!
You can find used and new ones on Ebay at affordable prices, preferably in Germany.
Uses the stock hinges and seatlock, so easy to fit.

Here´s some Ebay links:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Giuliari-Sitzbank-Honda-CB-750-Four_W0QQitemZ8075602800QQcategoryZ44351QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

White perhaps:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Giuliari-Hoeckersitzbank-weiss-Honda-750-FOUR-Neuwertig_W0QQitemZ8076322803QQcategoryZ49895QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On the last pic someone has taken the vinyl off the rear of the seat and painted the cowl. Looks nice on his his bike I think, but on yours I would go with an unmodified seat to keep more of that industrial look you seem to be aiming for!

My 50 cents...

Cheers

Daniel

Offline golden_child

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:18:51 pm »
Those are nice. I wish i could read German.

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:26:35 pm »
Those are nice. I wish i could read German.

Surely I or someone else can help you with that!
It would just be an excuse to put my 5 years of studies in german to the test ;D
16 years ago though.... ::)
Thankfully, the german language isn´t that far off from swedish, so I do get along :P

Offline Six

• Lucy - CB750F Cafe Racer
    • Motorcycle Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:06:14 pm »
I have a fiberglass Vesco seat from Air-tech.  I bought it because I like the shape and it's big enough for me to relocate the battery and electrics underneath it.  I had to do that to locate the alloy oil tank where the battery usually goes.  The seat hinges at the front, I had to fabricate the hinge and weld part of it to the frame before I painted the whole thing.  I found a taillight/plate holder that fits the shape of the seat perfectly from an unknown Suzuki donor at a junkyard. The seat-cushion is pretty lean, I get a back ache after 10 miles, but it looks racy when I'm not sitting on it.

Six - Minneapolis

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 03:13:22 pm »
The seat-cushion is pretty lean, I get a back ache after 10 miles, but it looks racy when I'm not sitting on it.
That won't work 4 me. I put too many miles on this thing to have my back hurt after just 10 miles...
Might as well hardtail the thing at that point.. ;D

I am def. leaning towards the "guiliari" style of seats for my scoot. I have always liked them, just never bit the bullet and bought one.
I have a few emails out to seat builders to see how much they want to build me one, and am keeping a watchful eye on Ebay.
If I remember correctly, the last one I saw sell on Ebay went for $400+  ::)

Keep the ideas and pics comming , they are a great help !  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:15:44 pm by ProTeal55 »

blackinkdragon

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 04:31:48 pm »
hey I don't know if it would work for you at all or if your at all interested but, I have a fiberglass bump seat that I got un installed with the CB550 I just bought,
I have no interest in useing  for my bike. I'd be more then happy to sell it cheap and or free if you felt like giving me a little mechanical help :) (I'm out in chi suburbs)
if you have any interest at all just let me know.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
hey I don't know if it would work for you at all or if your at all interested but, I have a fiberglass bump seat that I got un installed with the CB550 I just bought,
I have no interest in useing  for my bike. I'd be more then happy to sell it cheap and or free if you felt like giving me a little mechanical help :) (I'm out in chi suburbs)
if you have any interest at all just let me know.

While I can't come to Chicago (used to commute to Gurnee from Toronto every week but that was a while ago) if ProTeal doesn't want your seat, I'd be interested in buying it!

Let me know.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 04:38:30 pm »
So this is what I'm working on.  Picked up the fibreglass unit for $20 at a swap meet this past weekend.  A little narrow for the 550 frame, but might fit.  Not very comfy.

I'm making my own upholstered bump seat from a stock 550F seat.  The 550 seat has a perfect spot for bolting on brake lights on the backside - no real foam there - just a thin layer over a single sheet of metal.  May drill it for lights or put on a surface mount led brake light.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:30:34 pm by tintin »

blackinkdragon

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 04:42:54 pm »
well I have to admit I was mostly hoping he would want to trade for helping me with the bike, but if not I have nothing against just selling it, so I'll give him a little time then get back to you via E-mail

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 04:48:37 pm »
I'm making my own upholstered bump seat from a stock 550F seat.
Should be good. Gonna sew it by your self?
Maybe it sounds stupid: wanted to ask for a long time, what is "swap meet"? Is it for everyone? Thanks ;D
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 05:26:24 pm »
On June 16, there was a large swap meet in Paris, Ontario (Canada).  Basically people sign up to sell their stuff.  They lay it out and sell it.  Most people show up to buy.  Also a bike show etc., but most people go to buy.

I got the seat for $20, tank emblems for $10 and a POR-15 kit for $30 (1/2 price of new).  There of course was a lot of other stuff there, but a huge mix of makes/models.

Here are pics from the show.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:27:59 pm by tintin »

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »
I built mine on my mild cafe 350f. The seat cover was shot so I took it off and used an electric knife to get the shape. To cover I wrapped it with vinyl and riveted it to the bottom of the seat pan. Then I built the cowl out of fiberglass. I've got about 1-1/2" of foam on the seating area, but it's more comfy than you'd think.
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 05:31:39 pm »
The green and black bike in the middle had a nice seat - the hump is part of a gas tank, which is a pretty common trick.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 05:32:12 pm »
I built mine on my mild cafe 350f. The seat cover was shot so I took it off and used an electric knife to get the shape. To cover I wrapped it with vinyl and riveted it to the bottom of the seat pan. Then I built the cowl out of fiberglass. I've got about 1-1/2" of foam on the seating area, but it's more comfy than you'd think.

Close up pics!

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 05:58:43 pm »
Wish I knew how people are making their own cowls. I heard of someone using a stainless mixing bowl- I tried but it doesn't fit my seat.  Anyway- my bike is at a friends, but I just had a friend mod my stocker.  It's thicker foam than most cafes because, like you, I actually want to ride it. Looks pretty good, though. My seat pan was tatty and needed a little welding here and there, but after the new cover was put on, it looks pretty good. That brushed aluminium trim on the Giulianis (sp?) is the main thing that makes them look good- it slims the look.  I've been thinking of trying to find something like that and now I'm going to look in ernest.
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 06:44:31 pm »
Here ya go tintin. Originally I was going to go with a bigger hump and no fender. Then I found that gen-u-wine Lucas taillight bracket at a HD swap meet for 6 bucks. I just had to use it so I re-thunk the whole back of the bike around it. The upholstry job is pretty rogh, I'll probably re-do it next winter. Overall the seat, fenders and taillight give it a real English look.
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 09:04:34 pm »
well I have to admit I was mostly hoping he would want to trade for helping me with the bike, but if not I have nothing against just selling it, so I'll give him a little time then get back to you via E-mail
Sent ya a PM their buddy....

I am still torn on what I want to do with the seat on my scoot. Just got back from a 40 mile ride with some buddies, and all I could think of was if I had some thin ass seat how much fun I would loose by not being able to ride my scoot. I def. want something ATLEAST as comfy as the stock seat I have now, becasue if I am gonna have a sore ass after a ride , I will keep whats on their and call it a day..

Keep the advice / pics comming..... ;D

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 04:08:07 am »
ProTeal- It's been my experiance that comfort is as much a factor of support as it is padding. That's one reason I kept the stock seat pan on the 350. It is about 11" wide at the seating area, most seats I saw on eBay, etc were much narrower. It would look better/racier with a narrower seat but I wasn't willing to give up the width to support my aging butt. ;D
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline StevieMac

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 08:33:07 am »
I made my rear cowl from a HD sportster tank. The seat uses a cut down stock seat pan with a back piece welded on.  The seat still hinges open to provide storage for tools, registration etc.  No word on comfort yet as it's not on the road yet.  The foam is VERY firm but that's usually a good thing in my experience.  Time will tell......
72 CB500 Cafe
78 CB750 Chopper

Gallery: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/StevieMac/

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 09:13:30 am »
I made my rear cowl from a HD sportster tank. The seat uses a cut down stock seat pan with a back piece welded on. The seat still hinges open to provide storage for tools, registration etc. No word on comfort yet as it's not on the road yet. The foam is VERY firm but that's usually a good thing in my experience. Time will tell......
very nice.... ;D

Offline StevieMac

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 10:46:08 am »
very nice.... ;D

Thanks man.  I can't wait to get my stuff back from the painter and get this thing on the road!  Sounds like my paint is delayed though.  The shop boss is spending his days at the paint shop all of a sudden (not typical) which delays my painter's on the side cash job from getting done  >:(

I should have mentioned that the seat cowl bolts to the modified rear section of the frame.  Just the seat hinges open. All the electronics including the battery are mounted under the rear cowl.
72 CB500 Cafe
78 CB750 Chopper

Gallery: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/StevieMac/