Author Topic: Honda NH80 Aero scooter carb has me stumped  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
Honda NH80 Aero scooter carb has me stumped
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:42:42 am »
I am at my wit's end with this carb.  I have a problem that I have never had and I am completely stumped by this simple little carb.   

When I bought it it would run fine up to about 30mph and then start stumbling and running rich. A quick look at the carb revealed that it was dirty and needed new gaskets so I cleaned it all up and installed a new Honda gasket set.  It ran exactly the same.   I double checked my work and found everything in order so I began to suspect the fuel level in the bowl.  I attached a clear line to the drain on the bowl and found that the fuel level was all the way up to the bowl gasket.  This carb has a plastic float with no adjustment and a needle with a rubber tip. Float level measured at a correct 8.5mm but the fuel level was clearly too high. No fuel came out the overflow.      I decided to just order a new needle and float from Honda and polish the seat to ensure a good seal.  New parts installed and the exact same problem. The fuel level was still right at the bowl gasket. The bike starts and idles fine but at open throttle positions and higher rpm it sucks unmetered fuel through the intake and runs rich as hell.

I then found that a Canadian version of this scooter had the same carb but used a plastic float but the with metal mounting tabs and an adjustable tang.  I ordered the part, it fit perfectly, and I was able to adjust the float level.  Still no luck. I have tried numerous settings but even if I set the float as high as I can it has no effect on the fuel level in the carb.  After all this it runs exactly as it did when purchased.

I have installed a new plug, a new vacuum operated petcock, and have bypassed the automatic choke and I am confident that the problem is the fuel level.  I have completely run out of ideas.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
Re: Honda NH80 Aero scooter carb has me stumped
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:39 am »
I should probably mention that if I drain the bowl and start it up, it runs great for about 15 seconds until the fuel level gets too high.

Offline raymond10078

• Expert
  • Just learnin' as I go . . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:31:26 am »
You didn't mention the year - why type of fuel enrichment device (choke or bystarter) does it have?

The bystarters are known to cause problems - would cause the symptoms you describe.
1978 CB750A (upgrading very, very slowly)

Past bikes - Honda: SL350, CX650C, CB900C, CB1000C, CM450A; Kawasaki: several 1972 750 H2's; Suzuki: TC90J.

Bikes I want: CX650ED, a mid-sized japanese V-twin with ABS.

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:16:03 am »
I'm not sure what you call it but it has the enrichment mechanism external of the carb and I have bypassed it with the same results. It is a 1984 model.   I did some bench testing on the carb yesterday and for the first time was able to get the fuel level to change and once installed it runs better but I still have a lot of tuning to do.  I may end up bypassing the enrichener again to see what happens.