Author Topic: '79 CB750 LTD charging system troubleshooting  (Read 7284 times)

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
'79 CB750 LTD charging system troubleshooting
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

I happily spent my entire weekend trying to troubleshoot what I think is a problem with the charging circuit.  Despite lots of testing I still haven't figured it out: the bike just died after about 10 minutes of riding and the battery is now being charged, again.  First, some background.

It's a 1979 CB750 10th anniversary ltd. edition. It's my first bike so I am definitely learning as I go.  I bought it in March and didn't really start riding until June when the weather started to improve.  The plates from the previous owner are from '08, so I assume he hadn't ridden it since then.  I've managed one good 2-3 hour ride on it and a few short trips around town, but more often than not the bike will wind down and die after 10 minutes to 1 hour of riding, and then the battery is dead.  When I hit the starter button I can hear the motor trying to turn over the engine, but it just can't do it.  Sometimes the battery will recover enough to restart, but usually it requires a bump-start or a battery charge.  When it dies, it dies.  Sometimes revving the engine hard (5k+ rpm) will keep it alive, but if I pull up to a stop light it winds down and there's nothing I can do to convince it to keep going.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot it, mostly following a previous thread (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=93846.0;all):

• Replace the battery.  The battery is brand new, out of the box. It has also been fully charged, several times.
  • New plugs.  Brand new.
  • Idle adjust: idles comfortably (though not as smooth as I'd like) around 1.2k RPM when warm (and not dying, haha).
  • When I check the voltage at the battery terminals when the bike is running I am currently getting around 12.5 V at idle, up to 13.4V @ 5k rpm (no headlight) and 11.9 V to 12.4 V (with headlight).  More on these levels later.
  • Completely remove the wiring harness from the bike, inspect all routing for correctness against the diagram, and check all connectors and grounds.  The previous owner had clearly done some work as many lines had been severed and resoldered.  However, (almost) all of his solder work was solid and I didnt find any issues here.  Nevertheless, I resoldered all of his solder joints (about 15), and heatshrunk the connections to get rid of electrical tape.  The connector housing that goes to the ignition switch is cracked, but I've checked this and I don't think it's contribuiting to the issue. There was one small light that was wired through the wrong fuse, but I think this is inconsequential. Moving on,
  • I checked the resistance of the stator coils and found that they were all within spec (0.6 Ohm) and none were shorted to GND.
  • I checked the resistance of the rotor coils (black and white wires, at the connector) and found that they were ~50 Ohms.  I pulled off the stator and found that the slip rings were pretty dirty and almost invisible.  I sanded them with 400 grit paper and wiped them clean, first sealing off the rest of the unit to avoid contamination with dust, etc.  The brushes look good and are >5mm away from the wear line.  Now the rotor resistance (again at the connector) measures 4.9 Ohm.  Also, there is no continuity to GND on the rotor.
  • I tested the rectifier diodes as described in the factory manual and the post (referenced above).  All diodes (12 test values) show between 0.545 V and 0.555 V in the forward direction and open circuit in the reverse direction, so I assume the rectifier is good.
  • I reassembled the wiring harness and put it back on the bike, closed up the alternator, put the gas tank back on, etc. etc. and started the bike.
  • With a (pretty) fresh battery, I checked the charging voltage levels.  I performed this test at the battery terminals as I presumed the voltage there should be more or less the same as at the RR output (let me know if this is not the case).
    Without the headlight:
         12.2 V @ 1.2k RPM
         12.7 V @ 2k
         12.9 V @ 3k
         13.3 V @ 4k
         13.4 V @ 5k
    With the headlight (and some time later, so perhaps the battery was not as fully charged):
         11.9 V @ 1.2k RPM
         12.1 V @ 2k
         12.4 V @ 3k
         12.4 V @ 4k
         12.4 V @ 5k
  • More on these levels:  When I first looked into this issue (about one month ago) I'm pretty sure I remember seeing levels around 14.5 - 15 V, with the headlight connected.  Perhaps the battery was more fully charged then, or maybe the charging system was in better shape? I don't have any voltage vs. RPM curves from then.  Right now it seems the voltage level tops out at 3-4k RPM and doesn't go any higher, but I haven't investigated this thoroughly.

So, where to go from here?  My next guess is to check whether or not the regulator is working correctly, but I don't really know how best to perform this test.  I saw something in the factory manual about using a variable resistor to ensure that the regulator shuts off field current to a lightbulb when the voltage is high enough, but I don't think this is my problem.  I'd like to just hook up an ammeter in series with the field coil (rotor) but I don't know what currents this should produce and whether it'll blow my multimeter fuse.  I suspect it's not much higher than ~15 V/5 Ohm, but I'll need more gear to do that test and without knowing expected values I don't think it's that useful.  I could replace the RR but I'm a little hesitant to shell out more bucks after just replacing the clutch plates ($300).

I would appreciate any advice you might have as I'm pretty much out of ideas.  Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the excellent prior posts, I hope I didn't miss any that deal with this.

Cheers,

Dylan

'79 CB750 LTD

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: '79 CB750 LTD charging system troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:32:03 pm »
Dylan, welcome to the forum, and thank you for a good description of your problem. However, this section is geared towards SOHC Hondas, so don't be surprised when it gets moved to the "other bikes" board.
I'm not sure what the rotor/field current should be on your bike, but it's only a couple of amps on the SOHC 750.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:35:31 pm »
Just re-read your post; 4.9 ohms for the rotor/field would be under 3 amps, worst case.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:57:46 am »
I agree it is time to scrutinized the regulator.  But, before that, check the power going to the regulator and verify it is the same potential as the battery.
I don't have a wire diagram for your bike to relate to.  But, the voltage getting to the regulator should be within 1 V or less of what is measured at the battery terminals.
If you get that, you can temporarily operate with the black and white rotor wires disconnected from the Vreg and those wires jumpered to the battery terminals + and -.

The alternator will then be all it can be an charge the battery with max power.  Watch the battery voltage and discontinue if it goes over 14.7 V.
If it does not ever get to the high voltage, and you know the regulator is receiving full battery voltage, then the vreg is not doing it's job.

You really need to begin the charge test with a known good and fully charged battery.  A depleted battery will show low voltage until its charge state improves.  It is slow to change.  Kinda what makes it useful.

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:43:56 am »
Check out some of the 650 charging threads.  Same sytem
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »
Okay, I will try this as soon as I get off work.  I have a couple of questions for clarification. 

1. Can I start the bike with the field coil hooked up to the battery, or do I risk blowing something because of overvoltage etc?

2. What is the concern about having the same voltage at the regulator and the battery?  If the voltages are different is there another test that I should perform?  Does this indicate a short?

A wiring diagram for my bike is attached.

Thanks.
'79 CB750 LTD

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »
1. Can I start the bike with the field coil hooked up to the battery, or do I risk blowing something because of overvoltage etc?
Ideally, you would disconnect all connections to the regulator section of the R/R while doing the regulator bypass test.
You will have to manually ensure that the system voltage doesn't go above 15 V -ish when the alternator is producing power.

2. What is the concern about having the same voltage at the regulator and the battery?  If the voltages are different is there another test that I should perform?  Does this indicate a short?

The regulator needs to know what the battery status is with some accuracy.  Also, the voltage it receives from the battery is what is available to distribute to the alternator field coil, which determines the strength of the alternator electromagnetic field.  A weak field strength can cause weak alternator output.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
Okay, round two. As soon as I got home from work, I did the following:
  • I put the battery in after removing it from the charger.  It had been charging all night/day and was at 13.44 V in the bike with the lights off, dropping down to 12.4 with the lights on. I think this is pretty normal.
  • I started the bike and the battery voltage was about 12.4 V at idle (1200 rpm).
  • I checked the difference between the battery voltage and the R/R voltage. 
         Battery voltage (negative to positive terminal): 12.4 V
         Regulator red/white wire to negative battery terminal: 12.2 V
         Regulator black wire to negative battery terminal: 12 V (this is the black wire that connects to the main power circuit and fuse box, not the wire to the field coil)
  • I did a battery voltage vs. rpm test with the field coil powered by the battery.  I did this by shutting off the bike, pulling the contacts out of the connector housing, and jumpering them to the battery.  Black to pos, white to negative.
         12.5 V @ 3000 rpm
         12.6 V @ 4000 rpm
         12.8 V @ 5000 rpm
         13.3 V @ 6000 rpm
  • I did a battery voltage vs. rpm test with the field coil powered by the regulator, with the following results:
         12.4 V @ 2000 rpm
         12.7 V @ 3000 rpm
         12.8 V @ 4000 rpm
         12.8 V @ 5000 rpm
         12.9 V @ 6000 rpm
So, in the above tests, both results are similar except for the outlier of 13.3 V @ 6000 rpm with the batt. powered field coil.  Not sure if that's significant.

Now, the previous owner passed on a bunch of parts with the motorcycle.  Looking at these parts, and at all the snipped and resoldered connections in the wiring harness, I'm starting to wonder if he'd been troubleshooting the same issue and had given up.  The battery in the bike was apparently pretty new (though I bought a newer one), he provided a spare regulator, a spare stator coil, a spare stator coil housing with brushes, and a spare regulator/rectifier, all used.  Next time I'll take a close look at the bucket of spare parts when buying a bike ;).

The next test was to swap in the other R/R, which I had previously checked with the diode test (same results as in previous post).  The results were:
  • New regulator, field coil powered by regulator:
         12.2 V @ 1200 rpm
         12.6 V @ 2000 rpm
         12.8 V @ 3000 rpm
         12.9 V @ 4000 rpm
         13.0 V @ 5000 rpm
         13.1 V @ 6000 rpm
  • New regulator, field coil powered by battery:
         12.3 V @ 1200 rpm
         12.6 V @ 2000 rpm
         12.9 V @ 3000 rpm
         13.1 V @ 4000 rpm
         13.1 V @ 5000 rpm
         13.2 V @ 6000 rpm
So, about the same.

After this I tried checking the current that was being output (I think) by the rectifier.  I hooked up an ammeter in series with the red/white wire that leaves the R/R and heads to the starter relay.  I wasn't sure how to measure this (AC or DC) so I tried a few different settings.  Unfortunately I didn't write much down for these tests, but I recall the following:
  • DC measurements: the measured current fluctuated wildly (by several amps) at idle, and climbed as I revved the engine.  It reached upwards of 14 amps, but was fluctuating wildly the whole time.
  • AC measurements: the measured current was something like 0.6 A and was more steady.  It seemed to decrease a little with increasing revs, until above 3 or 4000 rpm it climbed until it was at 1.1 or 1.2 A at 5-6k rpm.  Again, I didn't write much down.
I also checked all of the yellow wires leaving the stator while the engine was running, with the AC measurement function.   They were all the same, 10 or 12V when revving the engine around idle to 2-3 k rpm.

One final test was to recheck the difference in voltage between the battery and the regulator.  Again I got more or less the same values as previously.  I also checked the voltage on either the black or the white wire leading to the field coil (can't remember which) and it showed 0.6 V above GND.  I'm not sure if the ~0.5 V difference between various points in a circuit is significant in a bike.  As far as I know this usually implies that the conductor is under-spec'd, but perhaps that's not unusal in a bike.  And all of the ground lines are AWG 16 or so, about the same as what comes out of the RR/alternator etc.

Anyway, I'm pretty confused as every individual test I've performed seems to indicate things are normal, and unless both R/Rs are failing with the same symptoms, the problem is elsewhere.  Also, what is the spec for charging voltage delivered by the R/R vs. rpm?  Is this published?

Is there anything else I can check?  I've looked at the grounds pretty closely, and was surprised to find that the chassis ground was so far away (near the ignition coils at the front of the frame), but this sounds normal from Hondaman's book.  I'm really hoping it's not something crazy like an intermittent short that shows up at a certain temperature...  ???

Thanks again!

PS after all these tests the battery had drained to 12.1 V with the lights on... so, winding down steadily.  I've got it on the charger now.
'79 CB750 LTD

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
Oh, one more observation: hooking up the field coil, either to the battery or the regulator, causes the rpm @ idle to drop by ~a couple hundred rpm.  I presume this is normal as the engine now has to drive the generator. 
'79 CB750 LTD

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:22:04 pm »
Well, after lots more forum reading, here and elsewhere, I may have found the culprit.  My Clymer manual states that the rotor coil resistance should be 0.4 to 0.5 Ohm.  There seems to be a bit of confusion on this for DOHC bikes around '79, but if it were 0.5 Ohm it would draw 20A at 10V.  This seems like a lot.  The consensus appears that to be that the impedance should be about 7.5 Ohm and the current draw should hit a max of 3A.  When I tested mine last night by hooking it up straight to the battery it was indeed pulling 9.5 - 10 A.  This was a little wierd because the impedance measured at ~3 Ohm.  I then tried to see if it would produce a magnetic field through the case, with no luck.  That made me more suspicious and I removed the housing and stator.  Slip ring to slip ring resistance measured about 0.7 Ohms.  I'd originally thought this was normal, thanks to the Clymer, but now understand that it indicates a coil-coil short.

I'll be replacing this ASAP.
'79 CB750 LTD

Offline onepieceatatime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »
Rotor should measure 4-10 ohms. Clymer is wrong.
You may want to try the guy in this thread for a rebuilt unit: http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1276
A few guys on the 650 forum have used him in the last couple of months with good results.
1965 CA77
1972 CB750K Ol' Sarge
1974 CB450K7
1977 CB750K7
1977 CB750K7
1980 CB650C
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »
Seems that most of the later charging system problems are due to either bad/intermittent rotors or brushes. Since your rotor varied from 4.9 to .7 ohms, that would indeed point straight to the rotor. (brushes could have only increased the resistance).
Good job! 8)

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:51 am »
Thanks guys,

I'll look into that rotor rebuilder, but I think I'll have to go with the fastest option as I have a 1700km road trip planned to the interior of BC in mid-August and I need to make sure the bike is ready well before then.

I'll post again when the rotor comes in with a follow up on how it went.  In the mean time I think I'll go through other general maintenance stuff and perhaps look over/re-lube the chain.  Primary concern is to make sure the bike is safe and reliable.  Any suggestions here on key things to check would be apprciated.  Once it starts raining again perhaps I'll get amibitious and tackle the carbs!

Cheers,

D
'79 CB750 LTD

Offline gunner

• In over my head?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:22 pm »
Yup.  That was it - a short internal to the windings of the rotor.  Replaced it and immediately saw 14.5V on the battery terminals.  Bike runs beautifully now - spent the whole weekend climbing and camping and didn't have a single problem.  One note - the rotor puller I purchased from RegulatorRectifier was a one-piece unit, not two-piece as decribed in my manual.  Worked fine as soon as I realized it required a few good whacks with the hammer (1980 Honda CB750 Alternator Rotor Replacement).

Thanks again for your help!
'79 CB750 LTD

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:14:08 pm »
Thanks for the feed-back! 8)