Author Topic: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.  (Read 1384375 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #8425 on: August 03, 2015, 03:37:51 am »
Geez, I'm just pissed off cos Steve's got a H2 and I don't............... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8426 on: August 03, 2015, 03:40:02 am »
I must be doing something wrong, I started going out with my missus when I was 19 and she was 17, and married her when I was 21, and now I'm 55 and we're still together. Fark, I've been with her for 36 years! She is one lucky bugger, that's for sure..... ;D

Met my missus in 1968, we were both 19. Did nasho 1969/71 and we married in 71. Still together. When we met I was a lowly bank teller and she was a high school math teacher. A few of my mates in the bank married teachers because we saw what they got paid compared to us. Bank pay pissed us off but the health care and cheap home loans balanced it out, a little.

Now I'm pissed off that Krusty married his missus for the money, I didn't even think of that when I selected the lucky recipient of my long anticipated glee.............. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline krusty

• Expert
  • There's no such thing as a garage that's too big
« Reply #8427 on: August 03, 2015, 04:29:35 am »
I must be doing something wrong, I started going out with my missus when I was 19 and she was 17, and married her when I was 21, and now I'm 55 and we're still together. Fark, I've been with her for 36 years! She is one lucky bugger, that's for sure..... ;D

Met my missus in 1968, we were both 19. Did nasho 1969/71 and we married in 71. Still together. When we met I was a lowly bank teller and she was a high school math teacher. A few of my mates in the bank married teachers because we saw what they got paid compared to us. Bank pay pissed us off but the health care and cheap home loans balanced it out, a little.

Now I'm pissed off that Krusty married his missus for the money, I didn't even think of that when I selected the lucky recipient of my long anticipated glee.............. ;D
AND.... she had a new Corolla. More room in it than my crappy old 61 Mini 850
Honda
1976 CB750F1
1978 CB750F2
1972 CB350F
1961 C100 Cub
1962 C100 Cub
1959 C76
1963 C92
1964 C95
Suzuki
1963 M15D 50cc
1961 250TA Colleda
1961 250TA Colleda x 2 primed ready for paint and assembly
Yamaha
1977 DT175E x 2
1978 DT125E
1979 DT125F
1976 DT250E
1978 DT250G
1984 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8428 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:32 am »
Called the guy and he's headed to Sturgis! So my motor just sits while he's in Sturgis getting drunk every night. I'm pissed!
I'd be patient. After he gets back from Asturias, he's apt to need a 2-week stay at Betty Ford. Wouldn't want him boring with a BAL of 1.5 and muck up your jugs. Then you'd really be pissed!

C'mon, Stev-O, you've waited this long for the thing, a couple of more weeks and you'll be good. It's not like you run out of riding weather down there  :)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8429 on: August 03, 2015, 05:46:32 am »
Called the guy and he's headed to Sturgis! So my motor just sits while he's in Sturgis getting drunk every night. I'm pissed!
I'd be patient. After he gets back from Asturias, he's apt to need a 2-week stay at Betty Ford. Wouldn't want him boring with a BAL of 1.5 and muck up your jugs. Then you'd really be pissed!

C'mon, Stev-O, you've waited this long for the thing, a couple of more weeks and you'll be good. It's not like you run out of riding weather down there  :)

I did drag my feet for a while but now I'm ready to rebuild!   Plus, he mentioned that. Should powder coat the jugs before boring, so that may delay it more.  Pissed!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #8430 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:00 am »
Powder coat?
Bill the demon.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8431 on: August 04, 2015, 03:16:27 am »
I wouldn't powdercoat any engine parts, especially on a two stroke, powdercoat is a really good insulator, and the last thing you want to do on a two stroke is keep the heat in. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8432 on: August 04, 2015, 04:32:18 am »
Modern powdercoat is completely different than the thick old stuff of yesteryear, lots of engines get powdercoated without any problems what so ever.... I know a guy in Brisbane that custom powdercoats lots of engines and you can't tell the difference between paint and powder, its that thin, ceracote is good as well... I read an article a while back where a guy did a load of tests on a Norton barrel with bare metal finish/black powder coat finish /black stove enamel /silver heat resisting paint finish this was in a temperature controlled environment with a heater inside the barrel a thermometer to the outside it made no difference what finish was on the engine.. Marc {powderman} has gone in depth on this subject on the forum a couple of times...

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8433 on: August 04, 2015, 04:38:49 am »
Modern powdercoat is completely different than the thick old stuff of yesteryear, lots of engines get powdercoated without any problems what so ever.... I know a guy in Brisbane that custom powdercoats lots of engines and you can't tell the difference between paint and powder, its that thin, ceracote is good as well... I read an article a while back where a guy did a load of tests on a Norton barrel with bare metal finish/black powder coat finish /black stove enamel /silver heat resisting paint finish this was in a temperature controlled environment with a heater inside the barrel a thermometer to the outside it made no difference what finish was on the engine.. Marc {powderman} has gone in depth on this subject on the forum a couple of times...
Quite true. As well, these are air-cooled engines that depend upon circulation, not radiation to cool them. And, the temperature of an engine internally is always much hotter than the atmosphere, and there's not a coating when properly applied that will prevent the heat from escaping as it will seek the colder surface.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8434 on: August 04, 2015, 04:45:39 am »
Quite true. As well, these are air-cooled engines that depend upon circulation, not radiation to cool them. And, the temperature of an engine internally is always much hotter than the atmosphere, and there's not a coating when properly applied that will prevent the heat from escaping as it will seek the colder surface.

Yep, the guy I know has done 2 strokes as well, complete engines, no problems at all, there are an amazing amount of different powder finishes available now, the candy's look insane...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
« Reply #8435 on: August 04, 2015, 06:03:56 am »
The reason I asked was because we used to metal spray aluminum on cylinders and heads also occasionally on exhaust stubs but it wasn't for heat dissipation it was for corrosion protection from sea water, when you finished every thing was brilliant white the other thing I was told if you are going to paint your engine parts you made the coating as thin as possible.
Bill the demon.

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #8436 on: August 05, 2015, 04:18:49 am »
Black engines run cooler
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8437 on: August 05, 2015, 04:38:55 am »
Well I'll leave the powder coating of engine components to my well read fellow forum members, obviously powder coating has come a long way in a very short time............. ;D

No, today, my pissed off-ness knows no bounds. You see, for the last 3 months, I've happily sat on my butt doing bugger-all, then much to my disgust, my wife forced me to go back to work, and being the dutiful husband, I'm settling back into the 9-5 grind.

This morning, an old friend called me and offered me another job, working in Canberra, earning almost 4 times what my current (new) job pays. It will mean a lot of travel, living out of a suitcase, not seeing much of my family etc, but the benefit is that after 4 years of doing this, I can retire 6 years early.

So why am I pissed off? Well I don't know if I'm gonna take it. I've already strayed away from my comfort zone once this year and that didn't go well, so now I'm a little gun shy. If it doesn't work out, there's no way my new (old) employer will hire me for a third time, and as they have the sole contract for all of the Australian Defence Force, I can't just do the same job working for someone else. Decisions, decisions............ ;D

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
« Reply #8438 on: August 05, 2015, 05:07:59 am »
Terry if you found a fiddle you know what to do, how long did you spend in?
Bill the demon.

Offline petercb750

• Master
« Reply #8439 on: August 05, 2015, 05:11:52 am »
A dilemma Tez. No doubt you'll make the right decision for yourself, but if it was me, I'd most likely stick to the job I know and where I know is fairly stable. If the Canberra job goes sour, and you can't get your current job back, you might find you have to "retire" a whole lot earlier than you planned cos let's face it we're not getting younger and so becoming less and less employable. I understand the lure of the dollar, but at our age sometimes it's better the devil you know. Just my 2 bobs worth, but I'm sure you've already thought the same things.
1972 750/4 K2 (his), 1976 400/4 (hers)
1982 CB1100RC (ours)

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #8440 on: August 05, 2015, 06:56:49 am »
Wow, Cal. That's a tough decision for you and the family. De-prioritize your personal life for four years to retire six years early. It's good to be wanted and it's old to have a full life, too. It sounds like you have a very fulfilling life with your family and interests so it makes it difficult to cut into that. Good luck, friend.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8441 on: August 05, 2015, 10:21:32 am »
Wow, Terry. That's a tough decision for you and the family. De-prioritize your personal life for four years to retire six years early. It's good to be wanted and it's old to have a full life, too. It sounds like you have a very fulfilling life with your family and interests so it makes it difficult to cut into that. Good luck, friend.
I'll take my leave of this conversation, Don and let Terry sort out his future.  ;)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #8442 on: August 05, 2015, 02:05:20 pm »
Well, the grass could be greener on the other side as the saying goes, but it may well be greener because it's full of cow sh1t.  ;D
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
« Reply #8443 on: August 05, 2015, 03:41:20 pm »
Aye Mick
Bill the demon.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8444 on: August 06, 2015, 03:29:25 am »
Thanks Guys, and you're right, it is a dilemma. My wife is very conservative and is less than impressed that I'm even thinking about this job, but at the same time it's a $150K plus gig, they even pay for my accommodation, fuel, and meals.

I had a long conversation with their operations manager tonight and explained that I don't have all the skillsets required, and he told me that I'm still way ahead of the other people who've applied for this position, and he's happy for me to undergo further training at the company's expense.

They're sending me a "Letter of Offer" tomorrow, so I'll think about it over the weekend and let them know one way or the other next week. It really pisses me off that they didn't ask me to take the job a month ago, it would have been much easier then............. ;D

Offline petercb750

• Master
« Reply #8445 on: August 06, 2015, 03:49:49 am »
There's only one thing for it Tez......drink more piss.
1972 750/4 K2 (his), 1976 400/4 (hers)
1982 CB1100RC (ours)

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #8446 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:45 am »
Thanks Guys, and you're right, it is a dilemma. My wife is very conservative and is less than impressed that I'm even thinking about this job, but at the same time it's a $150K plus gig, they even pay for my accommodation, fuel, and meals.

I had a long conversation with their operations manager tonight and explained that I don't have all the skillsets required, and he told me that I'm still way ahead of the other people who've applied for this position, and he's happy for me to undergo further training at the company's expense.

They're sending me a "Letter of Offer" tomorrow, so I'll think about it over the weekend and let them know one way or the other next week. It really pisses me off that they didn't ask me to take the job a month ago, it would have been much easier then............. ;D

Hi Terry,

you know the old saying "if it seems too good to be true . . . " . If I can be Frank (and you can be Ernest) I'd wonder if they are tring to get you on board to learn all you know, and then possibly "drop the pilot" once that has been done. Sort of "suck you dry". You seem to have skills that are in demand, so you are attractive to them, but maybe they have even shorter term plans than you have. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have seen this type of sh1te before in the corporate world.

If that sort of worst case scenario came to pass, then you would be mightily pissed off and then we would have to give this thread completely over to you and that would not do.

Seriously, weigh this offer up with lots of caution, as I am sure you will.

Best of luck mate, your devil's advocate,

Kev

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #8447 on: August 06, 2015, 02:03:50 pm »
I wish you well mate and agree with what Kev said.
A 150k gig is not too bad in this environment and I'm thinking that it may possibly hold a bit more security than if it were an offer in the mining sector where personal income has the ability to well and truly exceed that figure.
The thing being is that a lot of fellas were surfing the big waves and ended up dumped on the beach with a mouthful of sand.

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to participate in the supply and servicing of goods and material to the military even though a fcuking encyclopedia had to be drawn up for every transaction.
That was just part of the deal so you had roll with the punches.

Then things changed right across the board pretty well overnight when the whole structure got rearranged as the logistics got taken over by Toll North.
A foot hold in the public sector was a security net for me but a lot of businesses wore the brunt as they relied on the military as their sole source of income.

Anyway, enough of that.
It's just another one of lifes challenges mate.
Otherwise, life would get boring and we might all turn into rocks which would be enough to piss anyone off.  ;D
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

ken65

« Reply #8448 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:01 pm »
G'Day Terry, Happy wife happy life.  I traveled for a few years(11 months a year) operating earth moving equipment.  Top money, living in motels and pubs. Would i do it again.? NO.  not even for twice whats on offer.  I like being home.  But that's just me.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #8449 on: August 08, 2015, 02:49:19 am »
Just scored a 12.5 kva diesel genset.
The Wet Season won't be too far away now and fcuking power outages are guaranteed with the lightening strikes so I'll be able to hook this lad into the circuit and fire up the beer fridge and the lights and fans.

Sometimes it could be up to 3 to 4 hours sweating it out or the family sitting in the Toyota with the aircon ticking over just to cool off and get away from the mozzies and sand flies.

All going well tomorrow, I'll hook the lad up and see if the split aircon will run as well.
12.5 kva should #$%* it in but if it doesn't,  I'll be pissed off.  ;D

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.