Author Topic: From 'Wing Interstate to naked Wing  (Read 6689 times)

Offline apehanger 550

From 'Wing Interstate to naked Wing
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:25:58 am »
  I recently found an '83 or so 1100 gold wing that has sat for a while. The bike is cheap enough that parting it out would keep you from losing money, but probably cheap enough ,after parting out the farkles like the fairings,sheet metal,and the hard bags and trunk,that it might wind up as an almost free naked Goldwing.
  What I do not know is what parts I would have to replace to make the bike look and function as a bike once it was stripped of its former glory. Also ,not any experience with stripping and selling bike parts,but I would like to learn how, in case I buy an old bike that has some real,hidden problems that makes it better to part out than to put more in repairs than the thing is worth.
  The bike is pretty, or could be pretty all cleaned up,but I am not a garage queen kind of person. I want a bike that looks Japanese Standard.
  Advice Appreciated.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: From 'Wing Interstate to naked Wing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:07 am »
Got any pics mate? If you bought it cheap enough and it'll clean up nice, you might be better off selling it as a whole, and buying a naked bike that more suits your needs? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:34:09 am »
I would like to get a hold of one of the 1800 wings and strip it down!  :)

I agree with Terry. We need pics - and an exact year. The first years that Honda started fairing the wings, the parts were mostly add-ons. So it would be easy make it look like a regular bike. I think it was '84 when the fairings were all encompassed into the design of the wing. Those would be hard-ER to make look "normal." but still possible. You would need something to replace the fake tank and maybe some the side tins, too.

I say go for it.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline apehanger 550

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:16:15 am »
It's an '83.
  I have seen others listed on E-bay ,but this bike seems to have a higher level of trim and accessories than most. I would say that the extras came factory installed ordered as options from how put together the bike looks. If the chrome would be in the same condition as the paint,it would be a stunner in the looks department
  I have spoken to a guy who sold them,and he stated that the mechanics found the interstate much easier to work on than the Aspencade. Interstates had plenty of bling on them,but you could still get in there to work on them. They also liked the mechanical tachs and lack of stuff that crowded up the real estate,like air compressors.The dealers had plenty of work to do each spring because the owners tended to not ride in the colder months and the bikes sat way too long with old gas in them.
  The bike even has a trailer in matching paint. The gas tank stinks,and the handlebar throttle [stuck] seems to be indicating varnish on the slides. With a non-running bike like this,I need to know that I could part out the sheet metal and recover at least 500 or so. I am not a gambler. With a non-running bike it could be just as simple as cleaning up the carbs,or the whole engine could be seized.
  Not to insult others,but the Aspencade is way too overdone--- so much overdone they look like clown cars to me. this bike is plenty flashy but not to the point of being overdone IMO. Sorry I cannot post a picture. I feel that if I keep going back there,that the asking price might get higher.

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:19:52 pm »

OK KB, here is a stripped down Honda GL1800! Honda made these "Runes" for a couple years 2004-05 I believe. I know it is said that Honda had over a 100K in each of these bikes as a design exercise that the public could buy. Purchase price was mid 25K. I NEED one of these bikes............ as they are now down to the high teens price wise. I think they look badd a$$  8)
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:29:59 pm »
If the bike has been sitting a LONG time then the carbs could be completely USELESS and turned to dust inside the bowls. Then you have to consider EVERTHING below the carbs could also be a lost cause without a TOTAL rebuild.
Sometimes you get lucky but IF you can get 500$ for all the bagger BS then it may cost you 3x that to get it on the road.  I have found that you very rarely can make any cash by buying a non-runner and get it on the road then resell for a profit.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

OK KB, here is a stripped down Honda GL1800! Honda made these "Runes" for a couple years 2004-05 I believe...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Every time I mention that thought someone brings up the Rune.  ;)  I worked as a sales man fr a short time at a Honda dealer and we had a Rune there. It was all taped off. I actually got to sit on it once. It was pretty nice. But my vision is more V-Max and less cruiser. Oh well. Unless I win the lottery, it will probably never happen anyway.  ::)
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:34 am »
I have found that you very rarely can make any cash by buying a non-runner and get it on the road then resell for a profit.
Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

I've been lucky Chuck, every bike I buy is a non-runner, and since I discovered EBay and a few other handy online parts sellers, I haven't failed to make money out of them. I'm terrible at saving money, so I usually buy a non-runner or two early in the year, spend a few months wrenching on them, then sell them off late in the year for a profit. It feels good saving a bike from the wreckers yard, and the money comes in handy around Christmas time too! Cheers, Terry. ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:33:36 pm by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:52:04 am »
I have found that you very rarely can make any cash by buying a non-runner and get it on the road then resell for a profit.
Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

I've been lucky Chuck, every bike I buy is a non-runner, and since I discovered EBay and a few other handy online parts sellers, I haven't failed to money out of them. I'm terrible at saving money, so I usually buy a non-runner or two early in the year, spend a few months wrenching on them, then sell them off late in the year for a profit. It feels good saving a bike from the wreckers yard, and the money comes in handy around Christmas time too! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I most always make cash buying a non-runner and reselling when done.  However...................................................................................................

if I kept track of my time I'd probably be making way less than minimum wage.  There is a naked gold wing forum, think it is ngw.com or ngwclub. com....Larry
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:47:54 am by MoMo »

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:19:29 am »
I was going from the first post where he said he wasn't a garage type person. To me that would mean most if not all repairs to get a non-running bike back to a street legal condition will need to be taken to a repair shop. If you can find a shop that will actually work on the OLDER bikes, most shops here in the states won't touch anything over 10 years old( general statement) because they could possibly break a part , then they are on the hook to purchase one for the owner..
The best example would be a SANDCAST CB750, Owner takes it in to have forks seals replaced and the shop breaks the top triple tree, they would probably think , Oh we'll just get 1 from Ebay till they see they'll be paying 300$ for one.
With these OLD bikes (any Brand/size) you MUST be a well seasoned mechanic to take on the project if not then you start out loosing money!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline apehanger 550

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:14 pm »
 Actually, what I said is that my bike preference is not for a garage queen -- a bike that is washed and waxed and sits in a garage. I just want to make them run,and I have brought some back to working order that have sat for years. I do agree that one should not buy a bike and pay a mechanic and expect to make a profit.
  My $150.00 bike has turned 10,000 since I have owned it with few issues.  I bought a CB750 for a dollar a cc and it runs well with minor adjustments by me. The CB550 might just be the best one yet for 100.00 and it cleaned up really well after sitting for 21 years. Some wiring challenges,but I have it all working with test switches and have scored a complete control switch group to make it look OEM once again. So I have been lucky in not losing money on bikes,I guess.This forum has been very helpful in avoiding serious mistakes.
  I am a little out of my element with a Gold Wing. I am just afraid that unless the body is restored to near perfection, that the buyers of such a bike will be much more picky about a little honest wear. The bike is all there, appears to be unmolested by failed repair attempts.  I probably need to be sure about who the buyers are before I want to become a seller.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:50:30 pm »

I most always make cash buying a non-runner and reselling when done.  However if I kept track of my time I'd probably be making way less than minimum wage.  Larry

G'Day Larry, I don't disagree, but I still treat it as a hobby and not as a business, and I still enjoy it, so I don't put a price on my own time, unless I'm doing some work on someone else's bike. If I'm fixing up a bike to sell, I'm happy if I make more than I put into it. I don't think I could ever do it full time, but it's a good little tax-free side business. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:59 am »

I most always make cash buying a non-runner and reselling when done.  However if I kept track of my time I'd probably be making way less than minimum wage.  Larry

G'Day Larry, I don't disagree, but I still treat it as a hobby and not as a business, and I still enjoy it, so I don't put a price on my own time, unless I'm doing some work on someone else's bike. If I'm fixing up a bike to sell, I'm happy if I make more than I put into it. I don't think I could ever do it full time, but it's a good little tax-free side business. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hello Terry,  the satisfaction is the finished product not the cash.  I had actually purchased a used time clock to keep track of time when working on customers bikes but never used it.  I charge what I think is a fair price for the work I have done, usually wind up making 25 per hour, and as long as Big Brother does not come down on me I am happy with that.  ...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 02:32:39 am »
Ha ha, no worries Larry, and I'd love to average 25 bucks an hour, but most times I don't think I'd come close.

Occasionally though, I make a lot more. My BMW R100RS only cost me 400 bucks in cold hard cash, and around 30 hours labour on the PO's CB750, and a few small parts. I've spent another couple of thousand dollars on it since, but these bikes sell for between 6 and 10 thousand here, and I hope to get around $7500.00 for mine later this year. I'll use the money to buy at least one bike, maybe more, and start all over again.

I still love big twins, so maybe another BMW, or a Moto Guzzi, or even an old Harley Sportster might be fun, hopefully I can turn them over and make a few bucks when they're done, and I'll have a bit of fun with them, along the journey. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 04:40:42 am »
That is one fine looking Beemer Terry.  That 'd be a hard one to let go :-\   Have you ever had one of the old, overweight, Kawi 750 twins? ...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 04:49:32 am »
  I recently found an '83 or so 1100 gold wing that has sat for a while. The bike is cheap enough that parting it out would keep you from losing money, but probably cheap enough ,after parting out the farkles like the fairings,sheet metal,and the hard bags and trunk,that it might wind up as an almost free naked Goldwing.
  What I do not know is what parts I would have to replace to make the bike look and function as a bike once it was stripped of its former glory. Also ,not any experience with stripping and selling bike parts,but I would like to learn how, in case I buy an old bike that has some real,hidden problems that makes it better to part out than to put more in repairs than the thing is worth.
  The bike is pretty, or could be pretty all cleaned up,but I am not a garage queen kind of person. I want a bike that looks Japanese Standard.
  Advice Appreciated.

sorry for all the thread hijacking.   For inspiration for a naked Goldwing go to www. ngwclub.com     There have been some fantastic ngw restomods.  I had the opportunity to assemble and test ride the first Goldwing to come into the dealership back in 75-it was an awesome experience. The early models were fast, stylish and fairly nimble for the weight.  I've always been partial to the yellow version....Larry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:17:42 am by MoMo »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 04:54:35 am »
It's a great bike Larry, but is a bit of a stretch down to the narrow low handlebars, and my poor old damaged back might not appreciate it on a long trip. It goes great though, and while I could take the big fairing off and fit some higher bars, it's a bit of a classic now, so I'll leave it "as is".

Geez, I remember those old Kawasaki 750 twins, what brought that up, have you got one you want to sell me? I'd rather you found me an old "pre 1988" Sporty to send over with that beautiful CZ? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 04:59:48 am »
To apehanger, I stand corrected and apologize to you. I read in to it, that you were not a mechanic type and didn't do much wrench turning.
 You probably know by now , there are 4 types of people that will purchase an MC.
 1. the ones that  will spend unlimited amounts of cash for a COLLECTOR
 2. those that want completely stock with all the bells and whistles that came on the bike.
 3. those that want a mechanically sound bike but don't count the cosmetics a flaw if not perfect.
 4. those who really don't care much about the condition at all because they are in it for something to stay BUSY on/something to do!

The GW is a great bike, but  I think most people who want to go NAKED want the early GL1000 because they make beautiful bikes , for a reference look at the cover of the GL1000 repair manual by Clymer and they don't have as much PLASTIC to remove.

http://www.ngwclub.com/

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 06:22:45 am »
It's a great bike Larry, but is a bit of a stretch down to the narrow low handlebars, and my poor old damaged back might not appreciate it on a long trip. It goes great though, and while I could take the big fairing off and fit some higher bars, it's a bit of a classic now, so I'll leave it "as is".

Geez, I remember those old Kawasaki 750 twins, what brought that up, have you got one you want to sell me? I'd rather you found me an old "pre 1988" Sporty to send over with that beautiful CZ? Cheers, Terry. ;D

The Kawi.   I am the king of non sequitors ::) ::) ::)  It was a BIG TWIN...Larry

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 01:15:32 pm »

Terry buy the CZ. I have seen you talk about that bike several times seems to have very good memories for you :) I have seen it up close is a very nice bike. If not maybe I could make some kind of crazy cafe bike out of it...Just Joking..Hmm how much do you want for it again Larry..:)

Matt
My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »
Head on over to the Naked Goldwings forum. Lots of stripped down bikes over there.

The conversion is not that hard. Honda still made a naked GL in '83. So the standard lights and headlight shell are not hard to come by.

The only issue with the GL (and I have a '77 GL1000) is that the carbs are more expensive and a bigger pain in the ass to work on than the ones on SOHC4. I've spent the last year trying to dial mine in and I just can't get it right.

But when they are running right GL's are great bikes to ride. Lots of power and smooth as glass. After getting mine on the highway it was easy to understand why they became the reference standard for long distance dressers.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 03:26:28 am »
Here's what you want mate, a GL1500 Valkyrie. Did the US not get these either? Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1997-Honda-GL1500C-valkyrie-1500CC-M-/170855993187?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item27c7cf8f63

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 08:42:23 am »
Here's what you want mate, a GL1500 Valkyrie. Did the US not get these either? Cheers, Terry. ;D
O the US has em all over the place!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline apehanger 550

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 10:37:00 am »
  I'm passing on this one. What my research is telling me is that the carbs could be a real money pit. I also had a 450 Nighthawk fall out of the sky for $200.00 that ran last year. yeah,i know but if the PO is a liar, at least he is a liar from my own family...
  All in all probably a much better risk even if it's a goner and I have to part it out.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
The carbs can be a major pain, that's for sure. The rebuild is not that hard, but, at least in my limited experience, getting them set up right can be very difficult.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200