Author Topic: Where to get large batch of hardware zinc plated?  (Read 11605 times)

Offline dangerdan408

• Enthusiast
Where to get large batch of hardware zinc plated?
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:59:29 pm »
Need almost all my hardware for my bike replated in zinc, where or who do I talk to to get this done?  Names, website addresses, bike enthusiast, etc.   Need it done before Barbers..October 12th.

Offline dangerdan408

• Enthusiast
Re: Where to get large batch of hardware zinc plated?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »
Ttt Anyone know where to get this done fairly quickly and reasonably?

Offline tomkimberly

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »
Just contact a local plating shop. Most have a minimum lot charge from $ 45.00 to $ 75.00

Searching through Google, there are many in Hunstville.

Tom

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 05:33:37 am »
I am struggling with the sample problem I talked the shop here does not do barrel plating, the cheaper one 45 to 75 like you see on the forum.  The have to attach all the nuts and bolt to a wire and dunk them into a nickel solution.

Worst part is they can't give me a quote.  Say you want 5 lbs of bolts they need to look at each bolt and come up with a price for each one!  He explained the difference between wire plating and barrel.  wire is better but I can't affor 10 dollars a bolt.

Anyone here can do a batch for 50 let me know I there.

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:19:05 am »
I used Specialty Plating.  I would use them again.  They did all the parts for my bike for $75 and had a fast turn around.

http://specialtyplatinginc.com/index.html

Markcb750

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:31 am »
I had the last batch of hardware for my 900F project nickle plated.  The guy advised me to clear coat the brackets and to keep them "like new"  which I did while I was painting the fenders and wheels. 

I am sure it is partially a workmanship thing but the nickle plated parts look brand new, where the last few zinc jobs I had done looked better, but they still looked used.

This included every bracket, including foot pegs & springs. the center stand side stand springs, every flange bolt and nut, even all the brake caliper brackets, guide bolts and banjo bolts 140 bucks.

He also plated the front rotors and the rear sprocket assembly for me where he hardened the coating.  not sure how this will work on the disks, but they look great. 

Advanced Plating Monroe NC 704-291-9325  Bobby is a rider and good to work with.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:50 am »
I used this guy in Southern Calif. He advertises on ebay (  http://www.ebay.com/itm/RD200-RD350-CB160-CB5500-CB400-sl350-cb750-ducati-ZINC-PLATE-SERVICE-/150786886651?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231b994bfb&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1414 ) I went down to his small shop and got a bunch done. He's really flexible. I gave him a bunch or really ugly nuts and bolts to try and the result looked brand new.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:27:36 am »
The condition of the bolts will affect the outcome (looks) as once degreased and rust is removed any uneven-ness in the heads or threads will be smoothed some by the plating but it won't grow plating more in low spots.

Copper plated and then polished would smooth this out but thats labor intensive...chromed bolts should recieve copper plating and polishing before the nickel and then chrome goes on.
I dont recall thre zinc plating process.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:26:13 am »
I had the last batch of hardware for my 900F project nickle plated.  The guy advised me to clear coat the brackets and to keep them "like new"  which I did while I was painting the fenders and wheels. 

I am sure it is partially a workmanship thing but the nickle plated parts look brand new, where the last few zinc jobs I had done looked better, but they still looked used.

This included every bracket, including foot pegs & springs. the center stand side stand springs, every flange bolt and nut, even all the brake caliper brackets, guide bolts and banjo bolts 140 bucks.

He also plated the front rotors and the rear sprocket assembly for me where he hardened the coating.  not sure how this will work on the disks, but they look great. 

Advanced Plating Monroe NC 704-291-9325  Bobby is a rider and good to work with.

Thanks Mark!  Can you post a couple pics of the nickel plating he did.  I hear it is better than zinc.  If it is only a few bucks more it may be worth it.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »
Eastwood Co. has a DIY tin-zinc electroplating setup for $70.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »

Hi Scotty,

Have or do you know of anyone who has used the Eastwood DIY system?

Thanks!

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
Never mind I think this answers my question.  Looks like alot of work though.

Tin-Zinc Electroplating System from Eastwood

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »
Never mind I think this answers my question.  Looks like alot of work though.

That's why plating is so expensive; the labor involved. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dangerdan408

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »
A big thanks on the eBay link, I'm going to check some local places first and having that eBay link is my backup.

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »
eastwood sells a very good kit it's easy i have used it before
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:54:10 am »
It's really easy to do it yourself, and you don't need to buy a kit.

Simply mix up a batch of ingredients, suspend the parts to be plated in the solution on a wire from a beam.

Suspend one or more zinc anodes in the solution, not touching the parts.

Hook up 2 - 1.5 volt batteries in series with one wire to the parts (-) and the other to the zinc anode (+)

Sit back and watch it happen...usually takes 5-15 minutes per batch.

Remove the parts, rinse off, and brush to a shine with a brass wire brush.

Its really quite satisfying and theraputic, but it can also be habit forming!

Here's the formula:

1/2 lb white sugar
1/2 lb epsom salt
2 qts white vinegar
2 C batteries (in series)
1 slug of zinc anode from local hardware store

The parts need to be really clean first, I so de-grease with Simple Green or the like, and dip them in The Works toilet cleaner to remove any rust for a short while, then rinse and immediately begin plating.

Don't inhale the fumes from either process or light up near the batch!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:06:57 am by brewsky »
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Markcb750

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:16 am »
Thanks Mark!  Can you post a couple pics of the nickel plating he did.  I hear it is better than zinc.  If it is only a few bucks more it may be worth it.

I have most of them on the bike, I will take some shots when I get a chance.

Question to the DIY guys,  Zinc must be passivated to make it durable, what do you do to accomplish this? 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:29:17 am by Markcb750 »

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:09 am »

Question to the DIY guys,  Zinc must be passivated to make it durable, what do you do to accomplish this? 
Haven't worried about passivation. May be necessary if ridden in road salts or other harsh environments, but I haven't seen the need.

If you brush it well, or polish it, it will be pretty shiny, but eventually will dull as it oxidizes like guardrail on the side of the road.

66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Offline dangerdan408

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »
I used this guy in Southern Calif. He advertises on ebay (  http://www.ebay.com/itm/RD200-RD350-CB160-CB5500-CB400-sl350-cb750-ducati-ZINC-PLATE-SERVICE-/150786886651?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231b994bfb&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1414 ) I went down to his small shop and got a bunch done. He's really flexible. I gave him a bunch or really ugly nuts and bolts to try and the result looked brand new.

I was a little leary at first, but talked to him on the phone and he knows his stuff.  Followed the eBay link, looked around and ended up going with him.  Got everything boxed up and goes out tomorrow.  Thanks for that link again.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »

I was a little leary at first, but talked to him on the phone and he knows his stuff.  Followed the eBay link, looked around and ended up going with him.  Got everything boxed up and goes out tomorrow.  Thanks for that link again.

Be sure to post pics for the rest of us when you get your stuff back.  Also, let us know what plating you are going with.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »
There is more to zinc plating than just plating a layer of zinc on the part if it is going to last. Needs a clear or yellow or blue chromate coating if it is going to last...

The chemicals needed to do the chromate are highly regulated and toxic and disposal of the rinse water and the chemicals afterwards are not simple.

Glad you found a good person to do the job for you!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline dangerdan408

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:40 pm »
No problem guys, I'll post up pics when I get it back for reference purposes as well as evaluation purposes.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:54 pm »
Here's a picture of what's left of the batch he did for me. They still look new and these were done a year ago.

Offline tomkimberly

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 07:28:48 pm »

[/quote]

Pasivation is a corrosion resistant process for stainless steel. To make zinc more durable as has already been mentioned, you need to also coat the parts with chromate.

Tom

Offline dangerdan408

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »
Here's a picture of what's left of the batch he did for me. They still look new and these were done a year ago.

Those look great, I'm very grateful about that link you shared...very glad I went with him now.