Author Topic: 1974 CB550 Four Backyard Build (Atl)  (Read 31420 times)

Offline cprice9

1974 CB550 Four Backyard Build (Atl)
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:39:03 am »
So here is the long and short of it…

Last year, after 28 long years of waiting, I picked up my first bike.  It was an '05 XVS650 I snagged for $2500, 19,000 miles and a few lessons learned about wrenching I laid it down in a storm. 
(the day I got my first bike)

(the day before I totaled my first bike)

The folks at State Farm are some damn fine people, they took care of me so I had a fat check… I also had the bull#$%* opportunity to be an adult and pay off all our debt.  I did the right thing but was left with less than it'd take to get what I wanted.  (I ride in all weather, about 50 miles one way to work on the interstate so I have to have something decently powered and reliable)  I did however have enough to pick up an old Honda, something to keep my mind at bay and my hands busy.  I also happen to be into aesthetics so the ever-so-popular cafe style of the moment is a perfect fit.  I'm not however building a cafe racer, the champion deluxe tires alone will prevent me from any high level of performance so Im going for the lines, the beauty of design married with functionality of a dependable daily driver, not headed to bonneville anytime soon.

Anyway, here I stand now with a 1974 CB550 four that is in decent shape, the things that are wrong with it are the things Im changing out anyway.  I chose the 550 over the 750 for several reason, the main one of which being that dry vs wet sump build will make it easy for me to wrench on, that along with the weight difference and hp ratio seem a bit swayed in the 550's favor.

(my new project)

The last little bit is the fact that I have no clue what Im doing, couple that with limited tools and my workspace is actually out on a flagstone patio in the back yard of the house Im renting in Decatur… in other words this #$%* aint ideal.  I say that though because I love this stuff as Im sure you do as well (if you are actually reading this far in) so if you have anything to offer in the ways of wisdom please hit me up, and if you are in GA and want to roll sometime lemme know, Id love to see a more unified community here.

Here are some progress pics:

(strip down)

(new tires Chanpion Deluxe 18-400 and 19-450, clipons, tank)

(trying desperately to figure out a new wiring harness)

(soon to be new electrics pan)

(it'd be nice to have a garage)
My build, 1974 cb550:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112007.0

-to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested . . . Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll.

Offline Guns_Up

Re: 1974 CB550 Four Backyard Build (Atl)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:53:45 am »
your first bike looked BEAUTIFUL dude! sorry to hear about it but glad you are ok and an insurance company actually did there job other then give you a piece of paper that you have to show the cops. The new Tires look awesome. good luck with it! I just got done with the wiring on my 750 and it was a bear (I'm not electrically inclined though) Keep up the good work!

Tony

Offline cprice9

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:49 pm »
thank you sir, It was a great first bike, my real passion is prewar stuff, Indians in particular so I felt good about the vibe of those vstars, super dependable too.  Im ass deep in the electrical of mine without a bit of luck, well I am getting the running light on my tail but thats it.  If anybody is up for thrown some grey matter my way I need it, Im 4 days into trying to build this new harness and it aint working.  I need to ride!

-to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested . . . Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll.

Offline Guns_Up

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:34 pm »
I LOVE the old Indians, and HD heads, but I cant afford one now. I need to update my thread with new photos. I mine looks along the lines of a modified scout/cafe. I wish I could help you on the electrical, my brother who's an engineer came over and put some new smoke in the wires. As of right now I am running a new wiring harness with the old components. once i get time to sit down and do what your doing I want to replace the components with new, smaller ones to help clean up the look.

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70039.0

Might be what  you are looking for or at least get you going in the right direction
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline cprice9

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:41:08 pm »
An update on progress, electrical is still killing me slowly… but with frustration comes greater reward.  Also, today I order a great old bobber bullet tail light and a pair of GL1000 rear shocks.

Offline Guns_Up

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
Looking good man keep up the good work!

Offline cprice9

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »
Updates:

So, electrical has been a NIGHTMARE!  But it is coming along, I actually, kind of, in a way might have got it started today… so thats good.

The rear fender came off, and my new caliper and new pods came in.  I did a quick respray of the front disk, the master cylinder, headlight bucket, and kick.  A new set of GL1000 rear shocks went on, though you can't quite see the new stance as the front end isn't buttoned up yet.

Ive got a rear fender being made up by a metal worker, it is the most expensive piece yet but will be worth having a good quality one seeing as Im going bare metal.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »
love the look of those tires.  sweet.  are you planning to cut up the frame? 
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline cprice9

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:53:51 am »
love the look of those tires.  sweet.  are you planning to cut up the frame?

Im having a seatpan made to try and avoid cutting the back end.  I will eventually detab and powder the whole thing, at which point I might fab an extended swing arm, but Id like to have the option for myself or a future buyer to be able to go back stock if they wish.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
1974 CB550 Four Backyard Build (Atl)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:59:14 am »
Good choice. The bike is too nice to be cut up. Pm sent.
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline cprice9

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »
UPDATE:  The new stance, I really like the look of the GL1000 rear shocks but boy are they stiff.

Also painting the master cylinder and front disk was tricky but they are looking nicer.  I've gone through a lot of combos but at the moment there is a mix of Honda, Norton, and Triumph control components on the bars.  The bucket isn't working out so well, prob gonna have to strip and try again with different paint.

Kick looks a lot better, was a bit of an ass to get on but putting the spring on first and using the kick as a lever it is pretty easy, just start there first and you will have to remove the exhaust.

Speaking of, in removing the exhaust found a nice little surprise tear that almost goes all the way around… so looks like Im in the market for an exhaust.

Offline cprice9

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 06:07:34 pm »
Got these mock up pics in from the fabricator yesterday, can't wait!

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »
looks good. On that seat pad an hump combo did you make sure you have enough room under the hump if you do end up moving the electrical under it. Looks good just looks short  in height
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline cprice9

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 05:03:03 am »
thanks, and yes I built a tray for the regulator and rectifier that is flush between the 1" frame tubes, the battery is going with the angle of the rear down tubes of the frame and is the only thing under the hump.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 05:27:41 am »
To bad you're not closer to Augusta.

But watching with great interest.......love to get ahold of a 550 myself.

Good luck and looking good so far.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline bluezboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 07:48:36 am »
 Hey man, I'm only  about 15 minutes away from you, I live in Stone Mountain near the Indian Creek Marta station. There are 3 other forum members in the area that I ride with so you need to hurry up and finish that bike so you can join us. Vern

Offline cprice9

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
To bad you're not closer to Augusta.

But watching with great interest.......love to get ahold of a 550 myself.

Good luck and looking good so far.

Thanks, Im haven fun so thats what matters right.

Hey man, I'm only  about 15 minutes away from you, I live in Stone Mountain near the Indian Creek Marta station. There are 3 other forum members in the area that I ride with so you need to hurry up and finish that bike so you can join us. Vern

Im trying to button it up tonight as far as riding shape, I work through the week and travel on the weekends so time isn't really easy to come by, but hopefully stage one is complete this week.  Theres another member Stereosilence that I have been texting a bit with that has a 550, maybe we can all grab a beer and talk shop soon.

Offline cprice9

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »
just a quick update.

still not quite on the road, though I've been out around the hood a bit but not quite highway ready. The changes so far…

stripped to essentials
firestone champion deluxe
new taillight from an old rat
new controls on the bars
clip ons
painted a few parts (master cylinder, kickstand, headlight, ect.)
gl1000 rear shocks
new, from scratch wiring harness
new cb550ss tank (scrapped)
new petcock (scrapped)
gum grips from uk
forks cleaned up
new front caliper and pads
pods
braided lines

still to do…

mount rear cowl/seatpan once fabricated
cb750ss tank stripped to metal
tank and cowl cleared
seatpan upholstered
fabricate tag mount
clean carbs
oil leak near front sprocket needs to be addressed

that will get me into daily condition… then the good stuff will come.

Offline cprice9

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »
So it has gotten a bit heck tick round here lately and progress has slowed… but things are coming along.  I figured I would throw up some pics.

Trying the keen strip on my third and final tank, a 78 750ss (with very little success) :(
Also got my rear section in and it looks great, I highly recommend the gent who fabled it up for me.
Decided to get a piece of 22 gauge steel and remake my electrics pan.

Finally, ALL ELECTRICS ARE COMPLETE!  Now that I figured it out I think I will redo it with cloth, but that will come later.

Offline cprice9

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:47 pm »
Almost forgot, I also have a new Carpy exhaust coming in.  woot woot!

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
What was the problem you found with the existing exhaust?

Offline cprice9

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 06:48:56 am »
What was the problem you found with the existing exhaust?

No real problem, though I don't think the pipes are in the best of shape... one is missing a baffle. They just aren't the vibe I want

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:03 am »
Love the tail. What tank do you have on there? I like it.

I used the POR15 tank strip, prep, treat kit with great success.

Hopefully by the time you are on the road, I will be too (my engine is in pieces right now).

Offline cprice9

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:52 pm »
Love the tail. What tank do you have on there? I like it.

I used the POR15 tank strip, prep, treat kit with great success.

Hopefully by the time you are on the road, I will be too (my engine is in pieces right now).

what up, sorry we haven't been able to connect… I'm in overdrive these days.  I got 2 weeks to find a house so once Im moved in time will free up and I pray I have a garage to set up shop in.  The tank is a 78' 750ss F and Im taking a sander to it next week hopefully, then sealing it all up with clear.  I also happen to get in my Carpy pipes which went on easy (though they didn't come finished like I thought)