Author Topic: Coil rating??  (Read 1807 times)

trikerdrew

Coil rating??
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:32:36 am »
 ;DHi folks I'm a new kid on the block.
Got a ratty cb550 (76) that wasn't running.Wiring was hanging out everywhere so ripped that off.live wire to black on coils and wired coils upto points(yellow and blue).Connected black to car battery and then hooked up starter.Turned over fast no spark!Coils look like antiques.Can I replace with cbr or gpr750 coils?What is the ohm rating for cb550 coils??
Hel[p pretty please :-*

Mikeshonda750F

Re: Coil rating??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 05:22:25 am »
Since your question went unanswered, here goes. The stocker coils are 5ohm coils, I believe the cbr coils your talking about are 3 or less and will not work. Coils usually dont go bad, and rarely go bad in pairs (usually one dies and the other lives... but you replace in pairs) I would look further into why they are not working.

Remember, simply applying 12v to the coils wont give you the desired effect. You need to energize and collapse the coil to get the desired output.

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 06:36:18 pm »
Mikeshonda750F is right, they are five ohm and RARELY are bad. If you had some questionable wiring, you might want to get a schematic and go through it. One stupid thing I still overlook occasionally is the  on/off switch, it is inline to the coils. If you do a quick search you will find plenty of posts to help you solve it...
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:24:07 pm »
Not to change the thread but....   I have 3 sets of good coils all 78 vintage.  I am holding on to them in case mine fail.  Should I sell off a set, because frome what I read hear the orig prob will not fail.
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 07:27:40 pm »
Not to change the thread but....   I have 3 sets of good coils all 78 vintage.  I am holding on to them in case mine fail.  Should I sell off a set, because frome what I read hear the orig prob will not fail.

Yes  ;D  You should sell me a set - what a wonderful idea!  Good wires?  The electrical tape on my wires has me wanting to replace the coils altogether.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...