Author Topic: Help & Advice Please For 77 CB550F - Rebuilding  (Read 8898 times)

Offline Browneye

Help & Advice Please For 77 CB550F - Rebuilding
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:55:05 am »
Greetings from new member, first post, and start of hopefully a fun project. Great forum here, been reading through the various threads, lots of neat projects and great bikes.

I have a real dilemma with this old machine, whether to rebuild the motor or find a donor.

An old riding buddy of mine posted that he had a friend that had passed and was charged with administering his estate. He had two old bikes that he needed to 'get rid of'. A 550 and a 750. One of our other buddies picked up the 750, I got this one yesterday. The good news is that it was free. Or maybe that was the bad news. LOL

I've done quite a number of old bike restorations, dirtbikes from the '70's, so no problem with wrenching and painting, whatever it takes. However I've not started with one that was this run out. The tags are from 1984 so I don't imagine it's run since then. Worse, the ODO says 38K miles - OUCH!!

Another riding buddy and old bike afficianado turned me onto this forum, and sent me some pix of the cool cafe racer bikes that have been built out of these old Hondas. So that peaked my interest big time. Seems all I'm using off this old bike would be the frame, motor, hubs, maybe the rims (they're straight, just a little rusty).

So my querry from you experts is what to do with the motor. There are a couple of broken cooling fins on the cylinder. I could drop a new top end on it pretty easy. But with that many miles on it it seems prudent to go through the bottom end too, crank, clutch, gearbox, etc.

Whaddya think? Scrap it? Rebuild it, get another donor bike or motor, find a better core, what to do???? 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:02:10 pm by Browneye »

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
Re: Help & Advice Please For Tired CB550F
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:00:08 am »
Welcome to the forum the bike isnt in that bad of shape. On these old bikes I find it very useful to have another parts bike help out alot. Personally if it was me and I just brought that bike home I would  see if I could get that #$%* started then go from there. It might run alright you never know 38k isnt that high of mileage these bikes go forever if taken care of.

Matt

My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline Browneye

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:26:20 am »
Thanks Matt.
I'm going to pull it off the trailer today, clean it off a bit and pull dead parts off it. I think your idea is a good one. I'll go thru dead prep to start and see what I get.

Good to hear they're not necessarily clapped out at that mileage. Maybe it's salvagable.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:50:32 am »
Welcome from Texas. Did you get a title? 

The 550's make great cafe bikes, I have one. And yours looks to be a good candidate, would be too expensive to restore back to original.  Parts are plentiful and reasonable. You could try to start it, but most likely the carbs will need to be rebuilt.

If you're not going to use the exhaust, and it's in good shape, I may be interested. (can't tell if it's rust or dirty)

Good luck.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dirtdawg

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
A good pressure wash and sea foam may do wonders. not a bad looking ride. I see 4 into 1 pipe and pods. somebody loved that old girl at one time.
78 CB550k
2000 gl1500 CSC TRIKE

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »
If that standard pipe is in good condition please don't molest it. I've seen much worse bikes turn in to things of beauty.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:17:17 pm »
Welcome. That doesn't look bad at all, nice candidate for any type of build. I think Matt is right.
If it were mine I would :
Dump the oil and filter, drop the oil pan and see what is in it(filings ,shavings or pieces), Check the primary chain see if is slack... @ 38,000 miles it should be, but it may have had some work done to it recently. If the primary chain is slack and wearing on the cam chain tentioner -rebuild. If it is kinda slack you could zip it back up ,oil and filter it,clean the carbs and make sure it is able to turn over freely ,battery and attempt to make it run.
   If you are serious ,and you're not happy with the slack on the primary chain there should be no question  or fear about taking it apart and see what else is worn like cam chain, you can check all your bearings,valves.... can reseat the valves if needed, check your gears, clutch condition, shifter fork , change out the oil seals around shifter and kickstart, new engine gasket kit will save you from leaky O rings on the head, and pan gasket can save you a mess on the floor.
   You never know what you'll get with a donor motor, could be worse than what you have now,you won't know until you take a look at the one you have. How's the compression on this motor?Is it only the odometer mileage that is frightening? Are you sure that that is the original speedometer,it could have been dropped and replaced with a used one with higher miles on it.
    You never know what the story is with an engine until you take it apart ..... so once you've changed the worn parts it doesn't matter what the history was, because you'll be making the next chapter of history on a freshened motor.
    Well, that was long winded but that's what I would do. Good luck . get a manual and keep us updated, this looks like a nice project.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:24:56 pm by rb550four »
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:08:29 pm »
 The bike looks like it can be made into a runner in a few day with little investment.    The one in my avatar looked like yours when I got it.
Just because it was free does not make the bike worthless.

If you are determined to make it into yet another cafe that you and only you will want to drive occasionally and for short distances.  Do try and save the exhaust system for a restorer.  They can't be had anymore new.  Hacking one up for kicks ought to get you a dunce cap for two or three years.

Very few people can build an engine as well as the Honda factory.  Make it run before you rip it apart.  At least you will gain a punch list for things that must be done "while it is apart".  Further, many good 550 engines have been ruined by people "learning" on a cheap bike and not paying attention to the assembly warnings in the shop manual.  Just because someone else threw it away, doesn't mean you have to as well.
The lower ends last 100K miles if they've had routine maintenance.  Do check for primary chain wear, as there is no tensioner for that.  I have a 550 with 42K miles on it with same primary chain.  Leaks, but runs pretty well.

Plan to go through the electrical connections and clean the fuse holder bright and shiny.

Not good news seeing pod filters and a stock exhaust.  Gonna run lean and hot unless someone knowledgeable made some carb internal changes.

Good luck!
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Browneye

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the feedback.

100K on the bottom end? Whoa. Okay, will do as suggested.

I got it degreased somewhat. Took the carbs off and cleaned them up. Pilot jets and bowls were full of fuel residue. Everything else looks good on them, I'm sure they would run fine.

I did get  Haynes manual with it, and the title. The stock exhaust is clean and nice, will probably use it or sell it to a stock restorer.

Oil is still in it and it turns over. Not a lot of compression in 5th gear, but I'll bet it will run. Will put a battery in it, change the oil and filter, and see if I can get the old girl to run. See if it smokes or rattles.

Primary chain? I'll look that up in the manual.

Pods are dirty but don't look to be that old. Pulled #1 plug, it's clean and tan. Inside of the motor looks clean.

It needs a clutch lever and kick starter. Need to figure out which fuse older melted - third one from the front, red wires. Can't quite tell where they go. Main fuse?

Side covers are good but will probably sell those, tank, and seat. go with Benjie or similar cafe body. Have the rims de-chromed and powder coated, ss spokes from Buchanans.

Pulled the inginition cover, pounded out the dents and polished it. Points look spotless inside. Still some fuel sloshing in the tank, but no key so can't open it. Guess I will be bypassing the iginition switch.

I'll see if our local honda dealer has a pan gasket, oil filter.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »
Sounds like you have a good plan. Any key will open the fuel tank lock.

The ignition or seat lock should have a key number on it, order here...

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/vintage.html

Or a locksmith can cut you one.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »
That sounds like a plan.
In the back of the manual you'll find the wiring diagram if you are interested to know where the red wire goes to. I have had some fuse problems like the blown fuse and usually the problem is found in or behind the fusebox. check the condition of wires and clean the contact surfaces ,replace the fuse. if it keeps blowing ,either a dead short somewhere or the---- switch is no good. Fortunately there is aftermarket ------- switches, but you can bypass the  --------switch for testing purposes only , especially since you have no key.     I 'm wondering, just wondering why your compression is different in 5th gear  compared to any of the other gears? Just wondering.
Sounds like a plan. on a 4 wire, red to black . The two browns can go together too.just be sure the wires that you strip back are on the  ---switch side of the plug,not the wiring harness side.
 Be absolutely sure that you are in Neutral when you hit the starter button for testing since you have no clutch lever and pop starting would be a really bad idea.
 Have fun,be safe.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Browneye

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »
I 'm wondering, just wondering why your compression is different in 5th gear  compared to any of the other gears?

It shifts thru all the gears, so from habit I just clicked it up to fifth and turned the tire, motor turns over. Just seems like there's not a lot of compression.

I'll see if I can get it running, go from there.

As far as turning it into a cafe or stock, the former just clicks for me whereas the stock is kind of boring. I have four other bikes, so this is just a toy. I can't see buying all new fenders lights and stuff to restore it to stock. I would rather just sell it then.

I found a decent price on rear sets from FAST FROM THE PAST but the ones they list for the 550 go up to 76. What about 77? Are they different? I'll make inquiry there as well.

The Benjie body work is nice looking stuff, but $875? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 08:58:02 pm »
Do what you want with the bike. It's yours but save the original parts you are not using... Does the muffler have any holes at all?

check out this members videos... Will walk you through cam tensioner adjustment, valves and damn near building your engine step by step..

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111105.0

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=109867.0

1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 01:23:52 am »
When sourcing a kickstart make sure it's for an F model, the K's don't work with an F frame. And more than likely the rearsets between K's and F's will be different.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:25:31 am by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Browneye

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 07:17:05 am »
When sourcing a kickstart make sure it's for an F model, the K's don't work with an F frame. And more than likely the rearsets between K's and F's will be different.

Researched a lot of options on rear sets last night. Yes, the 76 'k' frame is different. I can cut a mounting plate that bolts on to the passenger peg brackets and the front peg mounting and use any universal sets. Should work out just fine.

Did some polishing on the exhaust and it looks pretty good. The better looking options are a LOT of $$, so it may stay on there depending on what it sounds like.

Found nos fork boots on ebay, $75 for a pair, ouch!

Has anyone used Progressive or Race Tech for springs and shocks?

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
Did some polishing on the exhaust and it looks pretty good. The better looking options are a LOT of $$, so it may stay on there depending on what it sounds like.
It's muted, nice & quiet and it won't wake the neighbors.  So, you'll hate it.  Cafe bikes have to be loud, noisy, and obnoxious to fit the image, right?

I probably have a system you'll love.  It's a real, genuine cafe option from the 80's.  Short, plenty of ground clearance.  Probably the least amount of "muffling" possible yet still be called a muffler.
There might be some surface rust on it but, you'll want it all flat black or wrapped up in tape anyway.

If the muffler you have doesn't have rust holes, we might make a trade.

72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Browneye

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 10:56:14 am »
It's muted, nice & quiet and it won't wake the neighbors.  So, you'll hate it.  Cafe bikes have to be loud, noisy, and obnoxious to fit the image, right?

I probably have a system you'll love.  It's a real, genuine cafe option from the 80's.  Short, plenty of ground clearance.  Probably the least amount of "muffling" possible yet still be called a muffler.
There might be some surface rust on it but, you'll want it all flat black or wrapped up in tape anyway.

If the muffler you have doesn't have rust holes, we might make a trade.

Ha. I'm not quite that extreme, but i do like something more than a honda lawnmower sound. ;)

Send me pics. Yes, the stock system is without rust or holes. It has a couple of scratches on the side, underneath, but looks really good. I'll have to see what it sounds like.

I like the look of the ones on Benjie's site, but $1200 for a system is out of the question.

yeah, black with tape wrap sounds good. LOL.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:11 pm »
Keep the 550 header, sell th emuffler to TwoTired, and buy yourself a reverse cone megaphone from cone engineering for 80 bucks.. You wont be disappointed

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »
+1 - keep the header if in good shape. Stock muffler is very quiet. 

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »
Well, it's in far better shape than I thought.  I don't think I've seen this exhaust system for 10 years, so that's my excuse.  I spent 15 minutes with some 0000 steel wool to make the bits you see shinier than the rest of it.  I'm confident the rest will look as good with another half hour of elbow grease.  I don't believe it will need flat black or header wrap.  In fact, it would be a shame to cover up this vintage performance exhaust system.  Ontario was quite the name brand in go fast parts back then.

Anyway, this was state of the art in the 80's.  (The bike was last registered in 1989.)  Shave weight and improve suspension to make a Skyline Boulevard blaster.
Loud exhaust and pods were required and this bike had it all with these go fast goodies.  I was told there was a cam upgrade in it, but I never verified that brag.  I was also told it had mikuni carbs and it didn't.  Just standard 069a Keihins.  I never found time to make the bike run.  Probably take a week or less.
Anyway, now I'm wondering what this bike running and cleaned up shiny would sell for...  I had sorta expected to restore it to stock.  But, maybe I should cash in on the cafe fad, now that the Gold wing has arrived?  Probably not enough time for me...

Any interest in the exhaust system?

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:32 pm »
TT, would you be interested in selling the carbs and manifolds? Also, are those Konis on the rear? I would be interested in those too.. PM me if interested in moving please

Offline 1BadCB750

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:24 pm »
If the bike was semi-maintained and not abused prior to being parked, 38k is nothing.

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 09:38:25 pm »
Nice looking bike. Id personaly find a different set up then what benji has to offer. Ive heard the bad stories about how the tank wasnt lined properly an the gas ate through the fiberglass.
IMO that tank is nicer then most the stuff benji makes that one is a little pricey I picked on up for 175 bucks a little while back
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-NOS-BENELLI-260-360-MOJAVE-GAS-TANK-CAFE-RACER-/320978085062?hash=item4abbc8e4c6&item=320978085062&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline Browneye

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:13 pm »
Nice looking bike. Id personaly find a different set up then what benji has to offer. Ive heard the bad stories about how the tank wasnt lined properly an the gas ate through the fiberglass.
IMO that tank is nicer then most the stuff benji makes that one is a little pricey I picked on up for 175 bucks a little while back
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-NOS-BENELLI-260-360-MOJAVE-GAS-TANK-CAFE-RACER-/320978085062?hash=item4abbc8e4c6&item=320978085062&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

How would you make that fit on a 550? There was another one just like it, an orange one as well. It's up to $275 already.

So tonight I dropped the pan. Oil was dirty but no bits in the bottom of the pan. Gears are clean and unworn. Some slack in the primary. Run it or plan to replace it?

Oil filter was a royal PITA. Completely ruined the bolt getting it off, so ground off the flat to fit a 1" socket to use temporarily. Installed a new KN401. Screen is perfectly clean.

It's too early to do anything with exhaust, however I did visit the cone engineering site, it's terrific. I think I'd do one of their 17" double cone glass packs on the stock header. Probably wrap the headers with the SS muffler.

Gotta get the beast running, then go from there.

Offline Browneye

Got 'er running!!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »
It's ALIVE!!!

Changed the oil, cleaned out the carbs, hooked up a battery and voila, it runs. Pretty good too, smooth, quiet, shifts, clutch works, lights.

I have a buddy that's a honda expert, will have him listen to it, tell me if he thinks the primary rattles too much. I may end up tearing it down anyway, do the top end, replace the primary chain, and anything else that looks worn. No knocking though, not much blow-by. Carbs are noisy, pods were off.

Anyway, that made my day, week....WHOOHOO!

Now ready to move forward. Thumbs up!