Author Topic: RIP my friend  (Read 16944 times)

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: RIP my friend
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 10:32:26 pm »
Yes, and I don't think he quite understood.  ??? ::)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2015, 10:46:44 pm »
I see now why the story was so well written. Not only does Henry sound like one to be known or hoped for having, in a life time, as best friend, but the quality of his life in those 40 years because of you scottly, were "way" up there. I got that much.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:51 am »
One thing that our technology has done is severing the communication and hanging out with friends,  people are texting others rather than a conversation by phone.  Sometimes spending far more time texting than a conversation.  It is crazy and it breaks down the connection we have and  would be so much the richer for forgoing entertainment by meaningless tv and other forms of entertainment and hung out with friends doing things like you and Henry did. Having inside jokes to tell on one another is great funwhen your are sharing time with other friends and start dragging out the stories . Great fun and laughs and great bonds of friends.  Cherish that you have them and had them with your friends who aren't part of your life now.
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »
Here here! Life is short

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »
Sorry to hear, that kinda thing really sucks
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 08:43:29 pm »
Well, it's been three years now. It has gotten better with time, but a day doesn't go by without a thought or mention of Henry. I've copy-pasted the story that Redline it mentioned:

Regarding riding dirty, one time Henry's dad needed to borrow his pickup, so Henry wired the license plate from his DOHC 750 to his fairly new '82 XR500, loaded it up and drove from Rosamond, CA (current home of APE) to our home town of Santa Maria, CA, (about 200 miles) with the intent of returning to Rosamond taking mostly back-roads and secondary highways as much as possible. There was, however, a stretch of I-5 between hwy 166 and 138 that he had to navigate that climbed from the southern end of the Central Valley over the Tejon Pass, AKA the Grapevine, as mentioned in the song "Hot rod Lincoln".
The trouble started when Henry decided to merge onto the interstate at the end of 166 on the dirt shoulder of the on-ramp, trailing a rooster tail of dust and dirt behind him while doing a balance wheelie at 65 MPH. This evidently pissed off the truck driver behind him, who tried to run over him. With the stock gearing, the XR maxed out about 75 MPH, and they were still on flat ground, and the semi was beginning to gain on him. He managed to stay ahead until they hit the grade, but he was probably WFO for 2 or more miles, and even with the threat behind him he still had to keep up with traffic while going up the pass, so the motor was working pretty hard. Almost at the summit, he started feeling a slight hesitation, kind of like the brake was being applied. Hmm, felt that before on a two-stroke, what was it? Oh yeah! The motor is seizing!!! :o He pulled in the clutch and the motor stopped *right now*. It's hotter than a two dollar pistol, and the end of the dipstick is dry. He had about 1/2 quart of oil bungied onto the rear fender, which was enough to wet the end of the stick, and was frantically fanning the motor while looking for the angry truck driver who was sure to catch up. Luckily, the motor was only "soft seized", and cooled off enough to restart before that happened, and he was able to nurse the bike 40 or 50 miles back home once on hwy 138.
After the "soft seize", it was time for improvements, and being a single young man at the time, Henry threw the White Bros catalog at it: Wisco 10.5:1 piston, WB cam, Supertrap exhaust, and Mikuni 36mm carb. The cam and the carb are now thumping again today on my FT. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:45:53 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »
Scott, it is good you still remember Henry and all the great stories and times you two had together. 
It doesn't seem like it has been three years. At least for me.

Hang in there. Thanks for sharing the story.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2015, 01:18:53 am »
I'm thinking of you mate.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.