Author Topic: Need help with front axle nut torque specs on CB 500  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Spike

• Enthusiast
Need help with front axle nut torque specs on CB 500
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:19 am »
I replaced my front axle bearings with the kit from Alls-Balls.  Bearing removal and replacement went fine.  I checked the manual and found that the torque spec for the front axle nut is listed at 33-40 ft lbs.  It seems that there would be undue pressure on the bearings at that setting.  Tightening the axle nut to "just snug" for me puts the outside end of the axle nut flush with the end of the axle shaft and allows free spinning of the wheel.  This is much less than 33 ft lbs of torque on the nut.  When I take the nut much tighter than that the rotation of the wheel is not free.  What am I overlooking?  :o
Any road...anytime
IBA# 6154
'73 CB 500
Concours C14
BMW R100/7

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: Need help with front axle nut torque specs on CB 500
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:09:19 am »
I have a feeling the bearings are not fully seated. What is happening to you should not happen...Larry

Offline Spike

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply Larry -- I plan on pulling the speedo drive and bushings and checking that again.
Any road...anytime
IBA# 6154
'73 CB 500
Concours C14
BMW R100/7

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:44 pm »
Did you remember to replace the spacer between the two bearings mate? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Spike

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:48 pm »
Did you remember to replace the spacer between the two bearings mate? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Yes, the internal spacer is there, the bearing retainer is back in place and snugged down to the original position, and the bearing on the opposite side is installed ( I will go back and make sure it is set fully in its seat.
Any road...anytime
IBA# 6154
'73 CB 500
Concours C14
BMW R100/7

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:02 pm »
No worries, stick your finger through one of the bearings and make sure that the internal spacer is hard up against it with no noticeable gap. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »
you can miscue the speedo drive gear jigger,by just a little,you should be able to way over tighten the axle nut and not affect its turning friction,,i just do them up real tight,back off the nut and square the speedo drive back again.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:17 am »
you can miscue the speedo drive gear jigger,by just a little,you should be able to way over tighten the axle nut and not affect its turning friction,,i just do them up real tight,back off the nut and square the speedo drive back again.

That is most likely what happened-prongs in the drive aren't lined up correctly, but it also could be the bearings not seated...Larry

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 06:23:34 am »
I don't have anything to add about the 500. But i want to confirm this. Whether front or rear, the tightness of the axle nut should not affect the wheels ability to roll smoothly. If it does, something is wrong.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

bollingball

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 07:28:26 am »
+1 MC  If you cranked it up to 60# it should still spin freely. There should be no pressure between the inner and outer races. which is what you are doing
Ken

Offline Spike

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:50 am »
Thanks to all for your suggestions and support.  I'm such a dumbarse!!  I had in fact not seated the speedometer drive correctly.  The good news I didn't force anything and damage the drive.  Hopefully this exercise will help someone else down the line.

Moral of the story: work slowly and carefully, checking your work along the way and if you are true to yourself and have some skills you should trust your instincts.

I'm glad to be a part of such a great group.  Sometimes the moral support is all you need to get past a bump in the road.
Any road...anytime
IBA# 6154
'73 CB 500
Concours C14
BMW R100/7

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:39:01 am »
Thanks to all for your suggestions and support.  I'm such a dumbarse!!  I had in fact not seated the speedometer drive correctly.  The good news I didn't force anything and damage the drive.  Hopefully this exercise will help someone else down the line.

Moral of the story: work slowly and carefully, checking your work along the way and if you are true to yourself and have some skills you should trust your instincts.

I'm glad to be a part of such a great group.  Sometimes the moral support is all you need to get past a bump in the road.

Good on you! Very common mistake.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline dinosaurocker

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »
Appreciate this old thread, I just went through same thing with 1972 CB450 (speedo not lined up just right) . . . .sure is reassuring to find answers like this on forum . . . . Thanks all!