Author Topic: Yolanda 2.0 new pretty carbs  (Read 110982 times)

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
Yolanda 2.0 new pretty carbs
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »
Hey guys, pretty new to the forum. finally decided to start a build thread. I am terrible with posting updates and stuff like this so bear with me. I like to lurk, research, read, and do things myself but from the time I've spent here this seems like a good community to be a part of! When I do post though, be prepared for paragraphs to read... I suppose I like to hear the sound of my voice (or sight of my text?). I am pretty bad with pictures. Not taking them, but uploading them. I will try to be mindful that we all love looking at pictures during these build threads. My mind goes a million miles per minute and I have to stop and think sometimes because I've already forgotten......but I will say that I am in the camp who believe if something is worth doing it's worth overdoing....and doing it right.

I introduced myself over in the introduction forum, and I mentioned this is my first bike. I have ridden before, years ago, but that was a dirt bike. I am also new almost all things mechanical. My dad has a garage full of tools he used during his motocross days, and I am slowly acquiring new tools, as I need them (not so fun). onto my bike!

I decided I wanted a 750. I think the mass popularity, novelty/icon, availability of parts, and engine size for highway commuting drew me to it. I am not "dying" to ride a motorcycle, because if I was, I could easily go out and find something new or used that is only a few years old to ride. For me its about doing something with my own hands and bringing something back to life. I live in Savannah GA, and there are NO 750s around here. the best one I could find was up in ATL, so after a LOT of research I decided I wanted to head up there and get it. it is a 1971 model, and when I got there it was so much bigger than I imagined. i

t's hard to see the size in pictures, and the pictures with riders must have riders taller than me (I'm 5'6") because they look so perfect on them. I sat down on it and realized first my feet are never going to be flat on the ground. the sooner I get over that the better off I am. It's a big bike, but I wanted it. call me crazy, I'm ok with it. Did a visual inspection (not saying much considering I have never seen one in person or really know what to look for!) and it seemed ok. aftermarket long drag pipes with an up-slant. chrome chain guard (more on that later). missing mirror, lack of proper seat, ape hanger bars and nasty grips. it rolled, it kicked over and feels like it has great compression, gets into all 5 gears (although pulling in the clutch does not free the gears). it was also missing the starter button (just the plastic button I believe). it came with a bill of sale and in GA you can't title a motorcycle this old anyway so that's all I need when it comes time.

The overall condition of the frame and chrome parts were actually pretty good. I haven't found any cracks or chips in paint on the fram, no stress marks or anything indicating damage, so far. there isn't too much rust on the thing either. The guy I bought it from bought it in a lot, so he wasn't the PO, but he found them in a barn. this one has a sticker on the left front fork indicating it was last registered in 1980. Feels like it sat for that long, but in surprisingly good condition. got it for $1100. I know that is pretty high but there were no other options I wanted. made the journey home (my buddy scored a cx500 on the way back from ATL for $200. lucky duck!) and got it in the garage. Then I stared at it for about an eternity thinking "WHAT have I done, I can't fix this, I know nothing about motorcycles or mechanics or oils and lubricants, spark plugs, coils, etc." a big thanks to this website. so far I have answered over a dozen questions with the search feature. I'll probably keep doing that only posting questions I can't find answers to. I AM learning though.

Now its 10 days later and I am getting a grasp of things. I want this bike to be a restoration, although I am not going for year accuracy completely. I would like to replace almost all the parts on it with oem or nos parts, but replacement and aftermarket lookalikes are fine by me too, as long as they function and are quality. I would love to have 4-4 hm pipes, but kinda waiting to find the right price first, I am still getting my feet wet here. I so LOVE the stock look and want to keep it there for this bike. another bike another look after this ;) I think I have ordered about a million dollars worth or parts, tools, and shop items. Already ordered stuff from cb750supply.com, yamiya750.com, and cmsnl.com as well as some harbor freight stuff and eBay. I wanted to keep tabs on price but I've already given up. I'm not on a budget per se, I just want to get this thing fired up first, then I'll do a strip down to repaint the frame and build her back up and get her on the road!

Oh and the name Yolanda.....yeah my friend thought it would be a great name, and he let all of my buddies know that was her name. within minutes my social media blew up everyone asking "how's Yolanda" so now its stuck, I can't change it. its ok, I kinda like it.

So, while my pictures are being emailed from my iphone to my computer I will at least post this terribly boring book of info I just typed. pics with be up tonight as well as an update or two, since I started 10 days ago. thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:04:53 pm by cheftuskey121 »

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
Re: First Bike: Yolanda the Honda CB750 K1
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:12 pm »
Yolanda, as in Pulp Fiction's Yolanda Amanda Plummer, as in, "Tell that beeech to chill!!" ??

Welcome to the forum and equally important the project forum.  We all love the photos, so lay them on us.  It helps give perspective on what you are starting with and your progress.

For now, get that girl running and have some fun getting acquianted before you strip her down and rebuild.  You will appreciate the improvements you make and get an idea of what needs attention in terms of the motor/trans/suspension/brakes.  Most of all, have fun!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »
Subscribed.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »
I like your attitude Chef, you'll  do just fine. So, what's next?

BTW, Yolanda is my wife's best friend and she is hot!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:05:38 pm by Stev-o »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »
Yolanda, as in Pulp Fiction's Yolanda Amanda Plummer, as in, "Tell that beeech to chill!!" ??

Welcome to the forum and equally important the project forum.  We all love the photos, so lay them on us.  It helps give perspective on what you are starting with and your progress.

For now, get that girl running and have some fun getting acquianted before you strip her down and rebuild.  You will appreciate the improvements you make and get an idea of what needs attention in terms of the motor/trans/suspension/brakes.  Most of all, have fun!
Pulp Fiction, that's the one!
yes, the plan is to get her fired up first and running moderately well on the stand. Then the real "fun" begins. although who knows, maybe it will take long enough getting it to start! it has 10k on the speedo and from a hunch it feels like its original. wishful thinking perhaps :)

ok so onto pics and such!

here she is strapped in the trailer leaving ATL. tank and seat are in the truck because they weren't attached

here she is along with my buddies cx500 that he scored for $200!

ok, in the garage looking all big and sexy! i had to put own cardboard and gaff tape it all up because I have carpet in the garage (used to be our bands practice space :D )

now here are a bunch of random pictures I took, I still need to take more. most of these are trouble areas.

here showing the aftermarket blinker mounts/pull bar (same on other side. its squared off and hurts your hand badly putting it on the center stand. funny about the centerstand I am still not really getting it. I've gotten it up 4 times but the last time took 20 minutes. I have watched videos and read countless ways to do it but I really just need to practice and learn. I get the concept, but my body doesn't have the motion yet.

tail light and license plate holder

here is the cheesy chain guard, you can see at the left on the frame how the PO literally attached the chain guard by a wire around the frame....ghetto. also you can see the lowered suspension bracket

got the airbox off and out, what a pain...so I though. then I stared at the carbs for hours

ignition and coils

right side of coils

engine VIN

frame VIN

back of pipes, some kind of corrosion or something

some electrical up near the headlight bucket. one of the sides does not contain a splice in it. its missing so the wire can't be plugged in, whatever that is.

back fender area for tailight and blinker controls. its not a into a and b into b here as far as color goes, and I think there is an extra wire so I don't really know how thats supposed to go yet. not too worried for now

right side showing some inner pipe nastiness and suspension lowering bracket. forgot to mention its a 16" wheel back there. with the 16" wheel and the suspension lowered I still cannot get flat feet, but honestly I don't like the look of the 16" wheel. I want to go back to stock but then I definitely won't come close to touching the ground :/

rear wheel spoke broken. obviously getting replaced

finally got some shopkeeping stuff! things most people own and take for granted. spending a lot of inital money on stuff like this...but its in my budget, I knew it was necessary.

battery negative wire (ordered a new one from honda, better safe than sorry)

don't know if this looks good, bad, or ghetto but its the electrical "panel?" I bought a honda oem battery positive too but I don't know where the positive or the negative even hook up. I have the pdf shop manual and have looked at wiring diagrams but I dont know what a solenoid or rectifier is so how am I supposed to know what it looks like. LOL

brake pedal area. looks kinda nasty. when I depress the rear brake it does not come back up all the way. I have to manually lift it back up to disengage.

dent in #4? pipe

inside one of the pipes. yuk. I dont like these pipes but before I get to crank it up should I take these off and clean them somehow?

speedo.

inside speedo. the two brackets I found cover the instrument bulbs so to dissipate the light around the gauge. going to try and solder them back on because they broke at the hinge in there. maybe some jb weld. also the PO cut the wires on both gauges short. the other part of the wires are in the headlight bucket....don't know what in the world he was doing. instead of splicing I am going to get new bulb receptacle harnesses from yamiya. to refinish my gauges with new harness/faces/light covers is going to be about $225 but I would rather have it like factory new :D

tach

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:22:35 pm »
Kool project. Not necessarily a big deal but those engine cases are replacements. Maybe the original engine number but definitely not Honda VIN stamps.

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »
I like your attitude Chef, you'll  do just fine. So, what's next?

BTW, Yolanda is my wife's best friend and she is hot!

thanks Stev-o! I try to be meticulous in everything I do. over detailed is better than half-assed in my book. there will be many frustrating nights. we all crave instant gratification and most of the time is doesn't come. I've already had three very frustrating moments and I've only owned the bike for 10 days!

next up I FINALLY got the carbs off. this took 2 hours. 2 hours of nonstop tugging. got some pb blaster on both sides of the boots, tried using rachet straps behind the carbs attached to the frame to pull the carbs off.....nothing. was about to give up. rocking them up and down and pulling constantly I was sure my hands were going to slam into the frame but nothing budged. I used a hair dryer to heat up the boots best I could and eventually got the #4 carb to slip out of its boot just barely and used leverage from a flattip screwdriver to carefully ease the boot off. then i gave one last up/down tug and off they came! whew. talk about frustrating!

against the better judgement of Stev-o and I assume many others I decided I want to deal with my carbs. its my bike now, and its my problem and duty to make sure they are clean. I wanted to know these inside and out and after much reading and following a VERY good guide (can't remember the link but it was a link from this site.) got them all apart and separated/labeled. I have a rebuild kit from cb750supply.com coming. I soaked each bare carb body (after careful dis assembly) in simple green and cleaned the outside with a toothbrush (the dollar store is my friend for stuff like this). all of the passageways seem clean...but that isnt good enough. I have a soda blaster and an ultrasonic cleaner coming my way. theyll be done when they are done ;) I do have a question about the floats though. mine looks brass colored but I'm pretty sure they aren't metal. how so I clean these safely and effectively? I also have a float height measure gauge? coming too.

a note: the PO had the #4 carb float needle upside down in the float valve. what a doofus. that carb has a whitish hazy inside compared to the other yellow/dark ones.

when I was reading about taking out the slides I thought my carbs were broken or different because the were not coming out. I had to eventually use a LOT of pb blaster and give the bottom of the slide a good leverage push with a flat tip screwdriver. I didnt damage or scratch anything in case anyone was wondering. this would explain why when I try to twist the throttle initially nothing really happened. those slides were so stuck in there they didnt move with the linkage? sorry about all these terms, I am still learning.

so right now the carbs are waiting to be properly cleaned and then reassembled. going to put the needle clip in the #2 position from reading in hondamans book. he said these K1's ran rich and leaning them out that way allowed the user to get better gas mileage and not foul plugs as easy (at least thats what I took from it).

now the second breakdown I almost had was changing the spark plugs. if you actually read this far you are thinking....whaaaaat? well the two outer ones were normal sized (I bought the cb750 spark plug wrench from cb750supply.) and I was able to get those out. cue the madness. the two middle ones were murdering my brain cells. they were not the same size as the outer ones.....I was barely able to reach aroun there to begin with. things are tight on this engine! and that mini a-frame there at the front. not friendly to long plug wrenches! thankfully my dad has a slew of plug wrenchs and deep well socket. I was able to find SOMETHING to get ones out after an hour or trying different ones and taking pictures trying to see down there myself.

then I had to get the other one out. it was not the same size. so now we are at 3 different sized spark plugs for a bike that has 4 spark plugs.....
I wanted to walk away and quit, I tried everything I had there. I even marked the top with a sharpie because I thought I got a wrench that fit and wanted to see it I was moving it. nothing. I kept thinking "what am I doing here. I can't even change spark plugs on my bike and i want to REBUILD it???" finally I revisited one that I guess fit and got it out. looking back I can laugh but it was so frustrating. here are the 4 plugs. none of which are recommended in the bike, and only 2 match....

now the most recent thing to depress me was the gas tank! I opened that thing up and my heart sank. I've seen all these thread where people open them and they look good, or even great. mine looked like it was warn torn Poland. rusty can't even begin to describe it.

after fighting the petcock! had to destroy the filter it was rusted and crudded over so badly. got to the inside and didnt even know there were two screws there to hold the petcock in. I'm telling you you couldn't see anything in the petcock. was able to remove the gunk and fins that there were two screws! pb blaster for an hour or so, then light tapping with my impact driver and finally got those out. no damage to the tank. so I did research and decided to try "the works". well I put it in there for an hour swishing it around and then poured it out into a container. my tank laughed and "the works" and told it to go work somewhere else. sigh. then I looked closer and there was this dark brown tar-like sludge in there. no clue what it was. feeling desperate and not wanting to go out and buy anything else (10pm) I dumped a whole can of aircraft remover in there. figured why not, the tank wasn't getting any better sitting there. carefully swished it around for about an hour open the cap every now and again to release vapors.

side note: my gas cap is not very tight.  I know its not supposed to be air tight because then the gas wouldn't flow but when turned upside down and then flipped back right side up it will leak and drip down the sides. no clue if this is normal or not!

after swirling it around and then filling it up with water to rinse it out STUFF came out. I was so excited. looked back in there after rinsing and it appears to be some old crusty crust tank liner/coating. it was like the titanic in the ocean in there. I can see bare metal now so at least I know it CAN be cleaned!

needless to say I am happy. I did buy the K1 tank in the for sale section though because its much better than mine and it can't hurt to have two especially if its an exact fit.

here is a close up shot of how the chain guard is attached by the footpeg

here is the airbox. i ordered new boots and clamps for it as they werent there before. also got an air filter because there wasn't one in there. if it wasn't for the exploded parts diagrams i wouldn't have known there was one in there. silly I know, but I have no reference for things like this. question:
is there a gasket for the two parts of the airbox, or does it just seal by using the gasket on both sides of the air filter?

got my agm battery in! its not sealed yet because I wanted to do it myself, and not run the risk of getting one that sat on a shelf for x amount of time. also got a smart battery tender for it as well. did the best research I could. I got this one "Scorpion 12v 190 CCA Motorcycle Wet Battery with Acid Pack #sYB14L-A2"

my trusty hondaman book

well that's all for now. need to either fix my petcock, fix the one coming to me on the new tank, or buy a new one. then clean and rebuild the carbs, then get the battery in and wired up and hopefully fire. if not troubleshoot from there. thanks for reading.

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:34 pm »
Kool project. Not necessarily a big deal but those engine cases are replacements. Maybe the original engine number but definitely not Honda VIN stamps.

what do you mean by the engine cases? like all of the metal housing the engine is in? sounds kinda sketch, makes me nervous. I am hoping there isnt anything wrong with it since it kicks over and feels like it has good compression. I just want to fire it up before I tear it down.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 06:59:58 pm »
The corrosion on the exhaust is from battery acid spilling on it.
The bullet wire connector plugs onto your brake actuator and provides front brake light.
The battery connects to the starter relay. 
How do you learn what the parts are? Study the parts fiche!
Here...
http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2559976&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1971&fveh=132835

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »
what do you mean by the engine cases? like all of the metal housing the engine is in? sounds kinda sketch, makes me nervous. I am hoping there isnt anything wrong with it since it kicks over and feels like it has good compression. I just want to fire it up before I tear it down.

I just noticed that the engine numbers are not the original Honda stamp font. Yes, like all the metal housing the engine is in. Many got replaced over time due to chain breakage and such. Shouldn't be an issue if done properly. Example original font on some sandcast cases but the font remained the same:

Should note that they did a really nice job stamping the cases. I would guess they took the same care replacing them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:43:03 pm by kmb69 »

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:07 pm »
You've already learned our favorite game - "Blame the PO."  You'll do just fine here.  Bonus points for good moustache.

If you're looking to go back to stock, or stockish, I have a decent OEM handlebar I'd donate to the cause for the cost of shipping.  Although frankly, if you're vertically challenged, you might want something a touch lower.

Cheers,
Scott
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
1971 Kawasaki F7 175 Enduro
2000 Honda VFR800 (gone but not forgotten)

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:47:07 pm »
You've already learned our favorite game - "Blame the PO."  You'll do just fine here.  Bonus points for good moustache.

If you're looking to go back to stock, or stockish, I have a decent OEM handlebar I'd donate to the cause for the cost of shipping.  Although frankly, if you're vertically challenged, you might want something a touch lower.

Cheers,
Scott

thanks for the compliment on the stache. I cant wait to get it blowing in the wind! blame the PO.....oh its some kind of game alright! the only issue I have with a lower handlebar is I dont want to be leaned over. I have a normal sized torso, just short legs. so once I am on the bike I think I'll be fine. I don't know if I want to go with the crouched over feel especially if I am driving this for 4 hours to atlanta :/

and of course I forgot to mention I already ordered repro bars from cmsnl.com as well as a grab bar, tail blinker brackets, plastic throttle, and grips. I'm curious if I can just cancel the bars and pay for yours because these are pretty expensive and they have an estimated ship date of dec 20...I ordered the stuff on the 8th. taking forever. if I can cancel those bars and yours are in decent condition (not super rusty) I would love them!

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »

I just noticed that the engine numbers are not the original Honda stamp font. Yes, like all the metal housing the engine is in. Many got replaced over time due to chain breakage and such. Shouldn't be an issue if done properly. Example original font on some sandcast cases but the font remained the same:

Should note that they did a really nice job stamping the cases. I would guess they took the same care replacing them.

I see what you are saying now. wishful thinking and positive thoughts are going to keep me going! It didn't look out of the ordinary to me (although how would it) so hopefully you're right and care was taken.

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:02:10 pm »
My bars are nearly perfect - hit 'em with some metal polish and they'll gleam like new.  The only thing I can't promise is quick shipping - I'm up in Canada and I tend to have to ship things when I make a trip across the border (which happens probably twice a month).
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:59 pm »
I'm sure you have purchased one, but if you haven't, pick up an impact driver.  It is THE best way to remove the soft phillips head screws on the engine cases, and other parts on the bike.  It'll be the best $15 you spend on a tool.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:00 am »
+1 on impact driver.  Sears carries them for instance.

I love the look of  CX but I think you did better than your buddy.

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 03:50:22 am »
Definitely got an impact driver. It has gotten me out of countless jams already! Favorite tool I own. I can't wait for my buddy to get his cx up and running though!

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:11 am »
Yes there is a gasket between the airbox halves. Mine was missing also. Ordered it from CMSNL I believe... or maybe service honda.

Your gas cap is missing a rubber gasket I think. Mine has one but it's weathered to hell so it leaks as well. Another part you can find online.

I'm very surprised your gas tank cleaned up as well as it did with just water. You're lucky. ha

The large positive battery cable goes straight to one of the connections on the starter relay (cylinder with 2 bolts on top in the electrical panel). The negative one connects to the frame under an engine mount bolt I believe.

I wouldn't bother cleaning the inside of the exhaust unless you are really ambitious. It won't take too much riding before she is sooted up again.

Looks like you're going about this the right way. Make sure you are bagging and tagging stuff or organizing it in some way as it comes off so you know where it goes back. It takes some time but otherwise reassembly will be a nightmare. Keep up the good work. Slow and methodical.

IW

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:31 am »
Welcome to the forum.Its nice to see some more Ga boys in here I live in Covington about 40 miles SE of Atlanta. Just take your time building and if you get frustrated just wal away for awhile. I`ve found that if youkeep at it you will break things.lol Ask me How I know...............Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 07:32:20 am »
I use this guy (JT Marks) for Honda parts.   He's fast, fairly priced and always seems to have everything I order very quickly.

jtmarks@hvc.rr.com

I've used him many, many times.  Good people.

Looks like good clean fun.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 07:48:16 am »
Yup, I can vouch for JT Marks as well, although I primarily connected with him through EBay.  Fast, fair and a pleasure to deal with.  I've also used the Ron Ayers site with good success for lots of the little stuff - rubber replacement bits, bolts I've lost, etc.  They aren't quite as well stocked as CMSNL but they sure are a lot cheaper.
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger

Offline MikeKato

• Enthusiast
  • Milwaukee WI
    • TCB true life stories
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 08:03:34 am »
Hi Chef

Noticed a thing or two about a thing or two in your picks and comments.

Nice bike !

The 16" wheel looks dangerous,one spoke snapped already and you can see plenty of sunlight through the holes that are,temporarily, holding the others in. looks like the wheel was laced twice,couldn't get it right, so the guy just said "F@@k it!"  The guy actually did ABOUT the best he could with mounting the chain guard. Most people don't use a chain guard on a 16" because there's no clearance Clarence between the guard and the tire.

From the pics I didn't see anything wrong with the battery cables that a wire brush wouldn't fix, but that piece of aluminum foil that's acting as a fuse should be replaced with a fuse

Underneath the frame there's a spring that forces the return of the brake peddle;missing,broke.

Too late now but when I remove carbs i loosen all 8 clamps. sometimes a couple boots come off with the carbs and a couple stay on the engine. Sometimes I even have to use two 2x2's,one standing up to protect the cooling fins and one to gently pry them off. My problem always is putting them back on,afterwards I always feel bad about what the neighbors had to listen to.

If I were you I would get the battery in there,new plugs,fuse and see if you have spark before I took it apart any further. If you have spark to all 4 then it's all down hill from there. Meanwhile it's getting colder so I would plug those 8 holes(assuming the plugs are still out)with rags to prevent the mice from doing their own build with your bike.

P.S. As much as we can all agree that painting peace signs on your side covers adds aesthetic beauty, I think your time would be best utilized getting it running first.

GL!
Mike

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:36 am »
Yes there is a gasket between the airbox halves. Mine was missing also. Ordered it from CMSNL I believe... or maybe service honda.

Your gas cap is missing a rubber gasket I think. Mine has one but it's weathered to hell so it leaks as well. Another part you can find online.

I'm very surprised your gas tank cleaned up as well as it did with just water. You're lucky. ha

The large positive battery cable goes straight to one of the connections on the starter relay (cylinder with 2 bolts on top in the electrical panel). The negative one connects to the frame under an engine mount bolt I believe.

I wouldn't bother cleaning the inside of the exhaust unless you are really ambitious. It won't take too much riding before she is sooted up again.

Looks like you're going about this the right way. Make sure you are bagging and tagging stuff or organizing it in some way as it comes off so you know where it goes back. It takes some time but otherwise reassembly will be a nightmare. Keep up the good work. Slow and methodical.

IW

Well. Ill be ordering a gasket for that then! As far as the tank, reread the part I posted about the tank, I ended up using aircraft remover to take te old coating/lining off. Then just rinsed it out with water. Still have more to do but with a clean tank on its way to me in not going to stress it right now. I'm keeping things organized with ziplock bags and labeling them. Also taking lots of pictures with my iPhone so I can refer back to them. Haven't taken too muh apart yet either. Hoping not to considering right now I'm just wanting to fire her up. Thanks for reading!

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 09:53:54 am »
Welcome to the forum.Its nice to see some more Ga boys in here I live in Covington about 40 miles SE of Atlanta. Just take your time building and if you get frustrated just wal away for awhile. I`ve found that if youkeep at it you will break things.lol Ask me How I know...............Gary

Thanks Gary! I travel to Atlanta all the time so when his is running we need to meet up. I've been following your K1 build. Awesome so far. Thanks

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:04 am »
Hi Chef

Noticed a thing or two about a thing or two in your picks and comments.

Nice bike !

The 16" wheel looks dangerous,one spoke snapped already and you can see plenty of sunlight through the holes that are,temporarily, holding the others in. looks like the wheel was laced twice,couldn't get it right, so the guy just said "F@@k it!"  The guy actually did ABOUT the best he could with mounting the chain guard. Most people don't use a chain guard on a 16" because there's no clearance Clarence between the guard and the tire.

From the pics I didn't see anything wrong with the battery cables that a wire brush wouldn't fix, but that piece of aluminum foil that's acting as a fuse should be replaced with a fuse

Underneath the frame there's a spring that forces the return of the brake peddle;missing,broke.

Too late now but when I remove carbs i loosen all 8 clamps. sometimes a couple boots come off with the carbs and a couple stay on the engine. Sometimes I even have to use two 2x2's,one standing up to protect the cooling fins and one to gently pry them off. My problem always is putting them back on,afterwards I always feel bad about what the neighbors had to listen to.

If I were you I would get the battery in there,new plugs,fuse and see if you have spark before I took it apart any further. If you have spark to all 4 then it's all down hill from there. Meanwhile it's getting colder so I would plug those 8 holes(assuming the plugs are still out)with rags to prevent the mice from doing their own build with your bike.

P.S. As much as we can all agree that painting peace signs on your side covers adds aesthetic beauty, I think your time would be best utilized getting it running first.

GL!
Mike
Mike, the 16" wheel is 90% going bye bye. I would never even try to ride it without new spokes anyway. I was wondering about that aluminum foil....that explains that haha. More research to do. When I tried to remove the carbs I took all of the clamps completely off because I didn't care what side came off! I have the intake holes of te engine plugged and I have new matching spark plugs in the bike all gapped an with a little anti seize on them. No worries there. Yeah that paint....  That was already there. Not to mention something scratche into one side of the gas tank. Ill snap a picture of that, kinda funny. Thanks for reading!