Author Topic: Cb750f  (Read 3642 times)

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
Re: Cb750f
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »
Im all for respecting your elders. Not big on flaming some guy cuz he is not building his bike according to what I think is best. And its been my experience on this forum that its the revered old timers that get snappy. The younger guys seemed pretty laid back. Civil ,actually.
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
blah blah blah.

This is boring.

Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:35 pm »
Old people can get irritated when they attempt to help but those asking questions do not listen to their experience or appear disrespectful of the help they might receive. I think most of the youngtimers here are pretty laid back too but I find that many of today's younger generation have been coddled and given too much thus expecting life in general to be given to them without consequence.

Only thing I see questionable is "douchebag". GTO, shame on you! You know most youngsters today don't use those things or know what they are  ;)   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline calikid

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 10:57:53 pm »
my god i thought we were here to help eachother with bikes not criticize.

anyone know where to get a new cam chain roller mine is not reusable.

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 11:20:52 pm »
vintagecb750.com has them       link: http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/4/engine/59/cam-chain-cam-chain-tensioners

good luck with your bike dude. looks killer ;)
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
Cb750f
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 12:23:23 am »

Honda still sells them
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 04:03:19 am »

Criticism is a form of helping. It is why schools give out letter grades. Without it you don't grow.

Seen way too many of the newbies applying tv chopper logic to their bikes and that is the wrong way to go about it. It isn't hard to spot, most of them using the same buzz words like detabing, tail chop, open triangle, etc.... There are way too many bad and hack job cafe bikes being built righ now and all seem to follow the same formula. I have know idea where they are getting it from but there are plenty out there tht just ignore the basics of performance motorcycling. What's worse is the first generation of terrible hack jobs are inspiring new waves of mor hack jobs just because some of them look cool parked.

What do you want to get out of your time here? Real help? Or validation? Because if you post stuff on the Internet there are going to be people who look at it and are not going to restrict their help to specifically what you are asking about.

I see you already have a seat sort of setup, and you already put low bars on, but you haven't touched the pegs - which tells me you aren't thinking about your riding position as a whole which is a common newbie mistake. Your oil tank also seems to have disappeared, and it is another common newbie mistake to use aftermarket tanks with incorrect lines. Since your pics are tiny and terrible can't really tell much of what is going on. A third newbie mistake is to put stuff in the path of the tire's travel through the suspension arch for the sake of looking cool. Again pics may be misleading but it looks like that may be what's happening here. Would you rather I not say anything and you try to figure it out after the bike has dumped you in the street?
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline calikid

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:05 pm »

Criticism is a form of helping. It is why schools give out letter grades. Without it you don't grow.

Seen way too many of the newbies applying tv chopper logic to their bikes and that is the wrong way to go about it. It isn't hard to spot, most of them using the same buzz words like detabing, tail chop, open triangle, etc.... There are way too many bad and hack job cafe bikes being built righ now and all seem to follow the same formula. I have know idea where they are getting it from but there are plenty out there tht just ignore the basics of performance motorcycling. What's worse is the first generation of terrible hack jobs are inspiring new waves of mor hack jobs just because some of them look cool parked.

What do you want to get out of your time here? Real help? Or validation? Because if you post stuff on the Internet there are going to be people who look at it and are not going to restrict their help to specifically what you are asking about.

I see you already have a seat sort of setup, and you already put low bars on, but you haven't touched the pegs - which tells me you aren't thinking about your riding position as a whole which is a common newbie mistake. Your oil tank also seems to have disappeared, and it is another common newbie mistake to use aftermarket tanks with incorrect lines. Since your pics are tiny and terrible can't really tell much of what is going on. A third newbie mistake is to put stuff in the path of the tire's travel through the suspension arch for the sake of looking cool. Again pics may be misleading but it looks like that may be what's happening here. Would you rather I not say anything and you try to figure it out after the bike has dumped you in the street?

exactly whats happening my friend! you're totally right thanks for your input. cheers

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 03:54:40 am »
Cool story bro.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline calikid

Cb750f
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:07 am »
When I took my exhaust off my 2nd pipe  was super lean (white) while the others were black.. Any insight to this? My bike also idles high and when I opened it up the cam chain roller was pretty beat to nothing.. Culprit?

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 11:59:15 am »
Did you check the valve clearances before you took it apart? a too tight or too lose valve could explain the lean condition as much as a blockage in the carbs could.

Was the high idle when cold or warm? These bikes are cold natured and the procedure for setting the idle in the manual calls for setting the idle when hot. However cb750s are cold natured and the warm idle setting will sometimes cause the bike not to idle when cold and PO might have screwed the throttle stop in a couple of turn to get it to compensate. Hoever it could also have been an air leak at the #2 cylinder which would also explain your lean condition. Too bad you took it all apart chasing an oil leak before you started to diagnose anything. What does the plug look like? if the plug is normal and you are seeing only a white chalky residue in the pipe - could be an exhaust leak.

Also since you have a big valve cb750 (77-78F), and since you already took it apart, might as well do valve seals, guides, and seats. The big valve heads tend to chew up guides around 30k miles.

A chewed up chain adjuster will make the engine noisy, and eventually cause all sorts of other damage but I doubt it would cause a high idle unless the timing chain skipped a tooth, and then you would have all sorts of other running problems. It is also a sign that the PO was kinda lax about maintenance.

Bike 101: before you put on the cool seat, or rip off all the paint, did you give this bike a proper service and tune up? I'm guessing no. We aren't talking anything major here, just basics of simple maintenance that probably would have required 0 parts and def would help you in answering the questions you have now about strange things you are finding in the motor. Some of these things you really should check before purchasing the bike, and you don't really have to do all of them, even 50% of them will put you that much ahead.
the simple maintenance punch list for a new to you and unknown bike:
- check static and dynamic ignition timing
- Check to see if ignition advance unit is working
- check and set valves.
- balance carbs.
- Compression reading
- inspect and evaluate plugs.
- check and grease swingarm bushings
- check brake pads for unevem wear
- check tires for uneven wear.
- check brakes for dragging and leaks.
- check carb manifolds for leaks
- check exhaust for leaks.

Honestly, it is maybe two hours worth of work to do the whole list.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:05:39 pm by Geeto67 »
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline calikid

Cb750f
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »
What's the best way to paint the engine? Are there any write ups? Can't seem to find any.

Just ordered the gasket set from dynoman. When putting it all back together is there anything that the shop manual overlooks? Thanks.

Offline calikid

Cb750f
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:56 pm »
Also ordered new piston rings, cam chain assy., once i put it all together will work on suspension and rear sets.