Author Topic: First bike, first build.....76' CB550f...*new pics and a short vid!!*  (Read 20557 times)

Offline 2strokeTrush

• Can you get that back together sonny?
  • Hot Shot
EXTREMELY impressive craftsmanship sir! Love the build!
If You Aint First Your Last!!

350F project-http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133079.0

500F Project-http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135660.0

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
I don't necessarily love everything you did, but you did a great job. :)
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert

+1 and some innovative ideas.
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org

+ 2.  You got some skill there buddy.

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
Excellent job, definitely calendar material for 2015, I'm also thinking a nomination in the BOTY thread, wadda ya say Danny?

Thank you Sir. its by far not perfect, but with my budget and and, im happy with the outcome ;)

Wow, looks great!

Gotta second the helmet thing, though- Bell makes one called the Bullitt which is basically that same helmet, but built to modern specs. Great piece. And no worries about the sewing- I've done loads of it myself. ;D

thanks man :D

yeah, i need to sort my sh!t out and get a proper one, life is short enough as it is, i want to ride my bike for as long as i possibly can! ;)

Yeah...that's a nice build right there  8)

Shottalot Fly :) wouldnt have been possible without everyones help from here!

I have a gold metal flake helmet from the 70's, but it's a display piece rather than one I use.  PLEASE buy a decent lid once you can afford it; you may thank yourself later.  I went down once, and my helmet saved my noodle.  The foam ina modern helmet is good for one hit, and by comparison a 70's era lid offers hardly any protection other than the fiberglass shell (no significant foam to absorb impact and protect against brain injury).

i dont know hey. i removed the inners of a newer helmet i was given to wash etc. It had the same polystyrene and even less sponge than in my Bell. the FGlass is thinner still, the bells is very thick. im not disputing that the Bell is old and possibly not as safe as the newer ones, but the cheap helmets are just plane old fglass too, i cant see them working any better than the bell.

+ 2.  You got some skill there buddy.

thanks to all the above ;) I really do appreciate all comments. I am more happy that the guys here on this forum like "most" of how my bikes turned out. Means a lot.

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
EXTREMELY impressive craftsmanship sir! Love the build!

thanks buddy! i wish i was in a country that the people living in it, would actually give a damn about things old and cool. This build forced me to do a lot of new things because getting parts i wanted were too far out of reach. so its not necesarily a bad thing i guess. hahaha ;)

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
Do you know Kevin out there in South Africa? : http://www.ttr400.com/

Offline Maurice

• Hot Shot
Wow, great job, well documented. Inspiring.

Re: the helmet, the problem is not so much the shell, which degrades over time as it is, it's rather to do with the polystyrene becoming much less effective over time. In other words: don't hit your head on the pavement when you crash with this one. Heck, after such excellent work why would you skimp on your own protection?

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
Do you know Kevin out there in South Africa? : http://www.ttr400.com/

i do know keven, never met the guy but bought some brake parts from him before. He is in Durban, I stay in East London, 600km away. Seems like a really good guy.

Wow, great job, well documented. Inspiring.

Re: the helmet, the problem is not so much the shell, which degrades over time as it is, it's rather to do with the polystyrene becoming much less effective over time. In other words: don't hit your head on the pavement when you crash with this one. Heck, after such excellent work why would you skimp on your own protection?

Thanks Maurice, im happy that it inspires you. There are tons of scoots here that did the same for me ;)

Thanks for the elaboration mate. i get it now :-[ thing is, i was going to buy the biltwell gringo, but this is the daddy that the gringo is sculpted off. I didnt have the funds however. Do you reckon i could get away with a new Biltwell gringo instead?

The Bell Bullit is waaaaaaay overpriced for me. Thats what an apprentice here earns in over a month hahahaha.

Offline Maurice

• Hot Shot
I've been eyeing the gringo myself, it's DOT approved (whatever that means...). The only issue is I ride through the winter (well, as much as I can...) and I'm afraid it won't cut it. I have enough problems with a Shoei Qwest as it is, can't imagine having to deal with a vintage helmet for practical purposes. But I understand the weather where you are is different, go for it? I'd say any new helmet is better than a very expensive 15+ year one.

Are you implying you're an apprentice? Won't stay that way for long with those skills.

How's that intake serving you? Any issues with it running lean or acting weird? Where's the battery BTW (I give up...) and where did you route the crankcase breather tube?

Thanks

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
I've been eyeing the gringo myself, it's DOT approved (whatever that means...). The only issue is I ride through the winter (well, as much as I can...) and I'm afraid it won't cut it. I have enough problems with a Shoei Qwest as it is, can't imagine having to deal with a vintage helmet for practical purposes. But I understand the weather where you are is different, go for it? I'd say any new helmet is better than a very expensive 15+ year one.

Are you implying you're an apprentice? Won't stay that way for long with those skills.

How's that intake serving you? Any issues with it running lean or acting weird? Where's the battery BTW (I give up...) and where did you route the crankcase breather tube?

Thanks

yeah, the weather here on a bad day is ave of about 20'C. we have it good i guess, but that also is debatable, when its hot, like the last few weeks 34'C days with 80-90% himidity osnt nice. You get out the shower sweating! :o

The Bell cost me $25 bucks  8) thats why i bought it, its in my budget :P The helmet can be worn with a off road pair of goggles, but i like the fact that wearing sunnies (Sunglasses) and the wind in your face gives you a feeling of an open face with extra safety ...but it is also the only ventilation you get. It is very effective and i never sweat, and im a sweater! But i would hate to cover the front up with a bubble visor of anything for that matter, its simplicity is what is cool.

yep, doing trade test in June. Millwright. funny enough, no turning or milling is in our trade whatsoever ???

not that i have noticed. And if anything, defo not lean! I am having carburation hiccups, but thats due to PO's effing with the jets and damaging them. The intakes are matched to head, and castings removed with a rough burr. So i doubt its changed much. otherwise she runs like a dream. I couldn't be happier! ;D

The battery is situated under the swingarm. Using an motobatt AGM 8Ah. With all my LED mods, i am able to run the smaller batter with no issues, i have only used the kick start maybe 4 times, and thats because i left the ign on by accident while working on her. I fabricated a stainless two piece bracket that holds the battery in place and bolts to the two centre stand 8mm mounting brackets. Happy days and there is a ton of room between it and the rear wheel/tyre/ :D

hindsight and knowledge of its function would have been better earlier, but the tube is just routed with silicon hose down between the swingarm with the overflow tubes from the carbs...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:16:49 am by Bru-tom »

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
Durr, how'd I miss the Gringo? Yeah, that's the one you'll want, if you like the old Bell.

As stated earlier- it's the foam that matters, more than the shell. Basically, it's designed to crack and absorb the impact, rather than spread it out (that's waht the shell does- the old Bells are overbuilt there). The older the foam, the likelier it's already cracked (useless), and the foam degrades with time, making it crack too easily (that's kinda like padding your seat with whipped cream instead of foam rubber- too soft, goes right through).

And echoing it again- fantastic work!
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Excellent job, definitely calendar material for 2015, I'm also thinking a nomination in the BOTY thread, wadda ya say Danny?

Absolutely worth a BOTM nomination, and if he wins then he's in BOTY automatically.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
OK Brooze, I made the nomination, get over to the BOTM thread and second.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
Durr, how'd I miss the Gringo? Yeah, that's the one you'll want, if you like the old Bell.

As stated earlier- it's the foam that matters, more than the shell. Basically, it's designed to crack and absorb the impact, rather than spread it out (that's waht the shell does- the old Bells are overbuilt there). The older the foam, the likelier it's already cracked (useless), and the foam degrades with time, making it crack too easily (that's kinda like padding your seat with whipped cream instead of foam rubber- too soft, goes right through).

And echoing it again- fantastic work!

Aha!!!.....aaaahhhh, more money ;D thanks for the explanation Sir, im glad so many fella SOHC'ers care so much for others safety! ;) The bell's shell is very thick, im not going to lie. I always thought that the thicker the better, but never realized that if its didnt break up a little that my head would instead! :o much obliged :D

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot

Absolutely worth a BOTM nomination, and if he wins then he's in BOTY automatically.

Thanks Danny! wow, making me feel right at home here! :) I dont know where to find such a thread?? or what to do?

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert

Done
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
hehehe, found it 8) do i need to accept it?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:13:09 am by Bru-tom »

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
I beleive that you do, and then send Sam pictures.

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
do need to accept it? in the thread? Il PM Sam, many thanks, i feel very honored to be nominated :)

Offline MikeKato

• Enthusiast
  • Milwaukee WI
    • TCB true life stories
I don't know what a apprentice ATM is but if it has anything to do with metal,fiberglass,electricity or design, I'd bet a large chunk of my savings that you're the best apprentice ATM in Africa.  I predict some day soon you'll be the best master ATM in Africa;whatever that is.........

Best of luck in all your future endeavors!

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
I don't know what a apprentice ATM is but if it has anything to do with metal,fiberglass,electricity or design, I'd bet a large chunk of my savings that you're the best apprentice ATM in Africa.  I predict some day soon you'll be the best master ATM in Africa;whatever that is.........

Best of luck in all your future endeavors!

An apprentice is an Artisan in training. I am going to become a millwright eventually. It consists of a full Electrician trade and Fitting trades. Because i am at Mercedes Benz, we do Robotics, PLC's and a few other helpful technologies to help us with the automotive manufacturing process. I am self taught when it comes to all other skills i have learned as they are not part of my trade. So in my honest opinion, its the best way to learn! I steal with my eyes 8) Thanks for the vote of confidence, but i am merely one of many that are out here, i am just one that you are familiar with ;D Thank you kindly for the complements, your last post really got to me, made me feel really good about he way i carry out the things i do.

The man has a very gifted brain and the determination to follow its orders.

I dont think anyone could ever top that :)

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
on a whole nother level i have attempted to do something totally different and hate it when i cant find anything i like these days....let alone pay an arm and a leg for something that "it'l do".....

i have taken it upon myself to make my own tees!!!!!!  O0

youtube has everything you need to know about screen printing. bought the photo emulsion and inks. I used window netting you stick in your windows (just to see how i fair at this before getting proper poly screens etc), a tiling squeegee, staple gun and and and...

i set at it yesterday, made some wooden frames, stapled the mesh/netting onto them. Today i applied the emulsion mixed with sensitizer and let it set. I later realized that i never let it set for long enough. But anyway, i exposed it to a UV light my mom had bought in the 70's to tan with (she was czech and hairy and pale when she came to SA lol). After exposing it for several minutes as well as my foot which is now super orange! i washed the frame off with water opening the unexposed spots left by my transparency and here is what it gave birth to...

the other open spots were, my stupidity 1, and the other a piece of super thick glass to make sure the transparency and artwork was flat against the screen. so it was unexposed in those areas. Due to me not letting the emulsion dry properly, i lost lots of my detail as it had rubbed off a little. but its my first time so i can only get better :thumleft:

were the image came from:

yes it is flipped, but the type fits better this way lol.

getting the artwork screen print ready is a whole nothing ball game i must admit, took me hours to do just that! phew!

keep a look out for more coming soon! ;)

hope ya'll likey :)

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
That's friggin' sweet, man!
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold