Author Topic: GOLDEN CB750 BROOKLYN  (Read 24840 times)

Offline zuehl666

GOLDEN CB750 BROOKLYN
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:09:08 pm »
Finished and sold this rephased xs650 last spring.

Now I'm working on a 71' CB750. Picked it up for 400 bucks, not running.

I got it running pretty quick, the ignition wiring was half assed at best. I ended up ordering a complete new optical ignition kit from cyclexchange. Eliminates the mechanical advance, excellent. 

Fast Forward a couple months....

Fiberglass tank I found on ebay.uk, meant for a Norton I believe, needless to say it obviously wasn't going to fit on the CB frame. I ended up cutting out the bottom completely and re-glassing and plumbing it entirely. Its separated out for gas up front and oil in the back.

Did the seat and tank in black base coat, gold mega flakes and cleared with a 2 part auto clear. Not done with them yet, I think im going to paint the tank strap area white.

Also got rear sets from DCC, I highly recommend these.

I ended up making some plates and welding them in the passenger peg mount. This was the most comfortable location for the sets. The shift side laid out too close to the kick stand when its in the up position, my toes were touching it. So I cut the stand off made a new plate, and welded it back on a few inches forward.

Added an oil cooler, got that mounted up as well. I'm going to run this in an unconventional way. It will be in line on the feed from the motor to the tank, in hopes to cool down the oil just a bit before it enters the tank.

So here is where im at with it as of Saturday.

I also bead blasted the motor, will have some pics of that soon.

Offline zuehl666

Re: GOLDEN CB750 BROOKLYN
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:10:49 pm »
Here's some better pictures. Frame is almost ready to be painted, welded some plates on the frame ends where i trimmed it down. Welded in a bung for the petcock, trimmed the headlight ears down about 1.5 in to make the bucket tucked in more. Still have to figure out what im doing with the wheels, I want to paint the rims and hubs black, polish the brake plate and relace with chrome spokes. Bead blasted the motor so thats ready for paint too, just waiting on some new gaskets.

Offline Jerry E.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
I like metalflake, thinking of doing my bike's paint in medium metalflake. Out of curiosity, if you had to cutoff and reposition your kickstand for the rear sets to work for you, why do you "highly recommend them"? Quality, price, look?
"Why jump from perfectly good airplanes? Because the door opens."

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:49:37 pm »
LOVE IT - that bassboat gold metalflake is driving me nuts, it's so great.  I'll be watching the rest of the build with great interest.

I would love to see some more info about that XS, too - what do you mean "rephased"?
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:58:20 pm »
SWEET.
I'm in

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:24:50 pm »
I like metalflake, thinking of doing my bike's paint in medium metalflake. Out of curiosity, if you had to cutoff and reposition your kickstand for the rear sets to work for you, why do you "highly recommend them"? Quality, private ce, look?

Hey jerry,  I recommend them because for 160 bucks I don't think there's a better product out there. Very nice quality. If I had mounted them a little closer to the front it would have cleared the kick stand,  but I'm about 6'3 and that was the most comfortable location.  That's the largest flake I could find 025 I think. Shot it out of a flakebuster2,  it's a little tricky to get it to lay flat at that large size. Medium should go on smooth.

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:33:17 pm »
LOVE IT - that bassboat gold metalflake is driving me nuts, it's so great.  I'll be watching the rest of the build with great interest.

I would love to see some more info about that XS, too - what do you mean "rephased"?

Hey, I had the crank rephased meaning it's pulled apart and spun a certain amount of splines and pressed/welded back together. So instead of both pistons rising at the same time it's more like a Honda twin but instead of 360 degrees its 277 degrees. Makes the bike run smoother and rev a little higher.  I'll post some more pics of that bike tomorrow. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:39:21 pm by zuehl666 »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
that looks like a Read Titan tank...I just got an original.  If it is, your paint is pretty much factory correct, as that is very similar to how mine is painted.  Pics are here
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=117455.0;topicseen
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 07:38:57 pm »
that looks like a Read Titan tank...I just got an original.  If it is, your paint is pretty much factory correct, as that is very similar to how mine is painted.  Pics are here

That's awesome.  I got this one on eBay UK. It's separated out to hold the oil in the front 1/3 of the tank. I had to cut the entire bottom out and reglass it to make it fit the frame.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
That is a nice piece of work.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 08:09:50 pm »

That's awesome.  I got this one on eBay UK. It's separated out to hold the oil in the front 1/3 of the tank. I had to cut the entire bottom out and reglass it to make it fit the frame.
what do plan on using to coat your tank, to protect the fiberglass from the ethanol in gas?  it seems caswell is the best option these days, but it seems like it is a bit tricky to use and some have still reported failures, and you never know if guys have been doing the prep process correctly
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »

what do plan on using to coat your tank, to protect the fiberglass from the ethanol in gas?  it seems caswell is the best option these days, but it seems like it is a bit tricky to use and some have still reported failures, and you never know if guys have been doing the prep process correctly

Sean,  you bring up a great point. I read the same about the Caswell sealant. I decided to go with this one from kbs coatings, I've heard good things. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer.html
I got a pint which they say will coat a 5 gallon,  I might pick up another for safe measure.

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:47 am »
Here are some more pics of the XS i did. I set it up to run a permanent magnet alternator, ran off a small capacitor (kick only). Rephased crank and cam,  pamco ignition, Mikuni VM34 carbs, Hydro clutch etc...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukezeigler/6867195048/#secret9d5920a64c

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:55 am »
Wow.  Love it.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:32:04 am »
Was it worth all the work to make those changes to the XS?  I really like the chunky goldflake!

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:08 am »
Was it worth all the work to make those changes to the XS?  I really like the chunky goldflake!

The rephase definitely made it run smoother and cut down on vibration, but its also a lot of work and $$$ to do that. The rest of the stuff wasn't hard to do. With that said, I took the bike on a couple long rides and still felt like I got my ass kicked every time, not a great highway bike.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 06:27:45 pm »
I am not usually a fan of non stock CBs. Most of the modded ones are just hacked up with an accumulation of mismatched parts. What you have done is remade the bike to your own vision. I travel to Brooklyn on and off, hope to see you on the road.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline ladyrocket

• 1976 Honda CB750F
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »
Love your bike!  Both of them.  My sister lives down in Brooklyn, so pretty down there.  Can you explain the optical ignition to a newb?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:18 pm »

The rephase definitely made it run smoother and cut down on vibration, but its also a lot of work and $$$ to do that. The rest of the stuff wasn't hard to do. With that said, I took the bike on a couple long rides and still felt like I got my ass kicked every time, not a great highway bike.
[/quote]

Look at the riding position, definitely not a highway bike.....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 08:44:49 am »
Yes, the riding position was not ideal. Regardless, those bikes are vibration machines at highway speed and just about every other speed come to think of it.

Anyway, back to the CB

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 09:02:35 am »
Painted the frame charcoal grey. Started polishing the shocks, haven't had time for much else recently.

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:57 am »
I got the front end completed for the most part, I need to order some fork gators still. Cleaned up the forks, made a brace, drilled the rotor.

The pattern I made I based off an F rotor, which I didnt realize was actually about an inch smaller than the K. I was able to make it work in the end though. First I dimpled each dot on the pattern.

Then went back around without the paper on and drilled each hole out. I used a 1/4 in bit and lots of oil. Only needed one bit, just took it slow and kept it oiled.

Here's it installed and with the brace. The brace is basically just a hoop made of solid 3/8 steel bar welded to some 3/16 plates.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:35 am »
Looks nice!  I like the brace too.

Offline zoom74cb

• 1974 cb 750 2002 dyna FXDX . 2001 fxdx t sport
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:16:40 am »
Man that cb is looking GREAT!!  i just can't stop staring at that gold flake!!  can't wait to see it done.

Offline zuehl666

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:51:53 am »
Thanks guys. I intended on ordering the carpy yoshi relica exhaust, but it will sweep up right where I have my rear sets. SO, I decided to take a wack at modifying the 4-1 that came on it, it needs a lot of cleaning up but it should be cool. I cut down a reverse cone muffler I had lying around and welded it to the stock pipe right after the collecter, it looks seamless in person. Might make it kick up a little toward the end, but i'll have to wait till the motor is in to see exactly where it ends up.