Author Topic: 1954 AJS Model 18 Basket case  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
1954 AJS Model 18 Basket case
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:09:32 pm »
Well i scored a basket case. This bike was taken apart 20 years ago to be restored and the frame was stolen while it was apart. So i have what i was told to be everything except the frame and generator. I am sure i will be missing some other stuff also but there is a lot here to work with.
For reference here is what the bike looks like fully assembled.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
Re: 1954 AJS Model 18 Basket case
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:18 pm »

I have 3 options for this bike.
1)find a frame and every other part missing and restore the bike
2)Rebuild the engine, build a custom hardtail frame and make some sort of bobber.
3)Part it out for $$$

right now im leaning toward option 2

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:56:36 pm »
I have 3 options for this bike.
1)find a frame and every other part missing and restore the bike
2)Rebuild the engine, build a custom hardtail frame and make some sort of bobber.
3)Part it out for $$$

right now im leaning toward option 2

I would be inclined to rebuild it if you can.  I don't know what a frame would cost but it would be a really fun bike if you patched it together and made a stock rider out of it.  You'd also get a ridiculous number of style points.

Faced with your decision, I would take an inventory of what you are missing and then check their prices and more importantly, their availability.  If parts seem accessible with a little patience and time, then get started on the parts you have.  What you've shown so far looks like it would look great with just a thorough cleaning and bit of touch-up. That bike would look fantastic in great running order and with some original patina.

Do you know how many of those they made in 1954?  Any idea of it's value as a complete (and well sorted) rider?

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:00:10 pm »
Im not sure what the value is when complete. I only know what the value of the parts i have based on EBAY. I will try and figure out what im missing but rebuilding from scratch will be a daunting task. I have always wanted to build a bike from the ground up with a British motor but I am against destroying a good bike for the sake of a custom. This parts pile would be a good start toward a custom. We shall see. This one is going nowhere fast so i have plenty of time to look for parts and figure out what i really want to do. There are a lot more pictures in the photobucket.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:54 am »
It sounds like you have the same sense as myself. I dont believe that this is a custom bike project, and as well feel it would be a shame to part it. Looking in GB and Europe in general for a frame and other parts makes sense to me, and I bet one is findable. I am one of those guys who, as a teenager, had photos of Gold Stars and Velocettes on my bedroom walls. It is a beautiful bike, and would be centerpiece in any group of bikes. Good luck, and if you run out of steam, please pm me!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:28 am »
I joined the ajs/matchless forum and they told me the same thing as my buddy who works on British bikes. Basically it would cost more to put this bike back together then the end product will be worth. The more I look at the parts the more stuff I see missing.
So I think it's going to get parted out. I would like to hang onto the motor though. I really  want to build a custom hard tail and this would be a great motor for it.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:56:29 pm »
the links I find put the value at 8k tops, I am sure you would have way more than that in money and time.  However, it would be  8)...Larry

Offline michiganmike

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »
I joined the ajs/matchless forum and they told me the same thing as my buddy who works on British bikes. Basically it would cost more to put this bike back together then the end product will be worth. The more I look at the parts the more stuff I see missing.
So I think it's going to get parted out. I would like to hang onto the motor though. I really  want to build a custom hard tail and this would be a great motor for it.
I checked out your site, and really enjoyed it, added it to my Favorites.      Your idea of using the motor in a modern/custom/bobber/hardtail thingie gets my vote.
michiganmike
Battle Creek,Michigan

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:11 am »
i have a 1954 G80S Matchless, essentially the same bike, was my second bike ever. PM me if you need specific info.

They are simply nice bikes, nothing more, nothing less, in all these years of increasing classic prices, they never really picked up in value.

Go to any brit bike trade site and you'll see they top out at 3000-4000-5000 and that's for a very original one. yours is far from that

On the other hand, dont think it'll difficult to find a frame....

If it was mine, would do it as a scrambler, as a bobber or cafe it'll look horrible (but what do i know...)

look for pics of a G80CS to get the idea

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »
Thsnks turboguzzi I will hit you up when i start piecing this thing together. From what i have read about these bikes is that they were basically built as a utility bike. Something low maintenance, fairly reliable and good on gas that people bought for transportation. They were not race bikes, except for some dirt track. So building a cafe out of it would not make sense. So i want to build some sort of around town cruiser. Here are a few bikes that i like.

What im not going to build

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:20 pm »
That second to the last pic...aside from it's general hideousness ...has got to have some nasty handling with those tires.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:59 am »
well, the only one that makes any sense to me is the top one, which is almost a stock trials setup for this bike save for the 19" front. So just put a 21" in the front and it'll look perfect!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28332634@N04/4941332840/#in/pool-819105@N24

leave all the other options bellow it to the posers and wannabees ;)