Author Topic: CB550 custom swingarm  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Jonny Rock-it

CB550 custom swingarm
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:50:34 am »
So I've been looking for a while and talked to a couple fabricators and no one will touch the subject.... I want a custom subframe for my 550 that will utilize a vertical, rather than diagonal monoshock... I've seen a few builders do it but mostly they are cannibalizing swingarms from other bikes. does anyone know of someone who would build such a monstrosity specifically for a 550?
Everyone Pities the weak, Jealousy must be earned

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: CB550 custom swingarm
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
To put in a vertical monoshock requires an longer wheelbase that will upset the bikes handling, that could be one reason why they don't want to do it, you also will need to use a rising rate linkage. If you were doing this to make the bike handle better then the diagonal method is best, no rising rate linkage and you can retain the correct wheel base....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »
I'd make you one - if you can supply me with the dimensions that you want. I have a couple of CB550's and can use my own swingarms for the current dimensions; you'd have to supply me with the changes that you'd want.

Offline Jonny Rock-it

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:00 am »
I'd make you one - if you can supply me with the dimensions that you want. I have a couple of CB550's and can use my own swingarms for the current dimensions; you'd have to supply me with the changes that you'd want.

Are you familiar with Bryan Fuller? He has done it with two of his bikes, one being his personal bike and the other being his bike 'Rodan' which has won a good deal of acclaim. anyways, essentially I'm wanting a shock setup like that on my bike...I think it's cleaner, and frankly no one else does it...all the more reason for me to do it. What would a swingarm like that cost me?
Everyone Pities the weak, Jealousy must be earned

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »

Are you familiar with Bryan Fuller? He has done it with two of his bikes, one being his personal bike and the other being his bike 'Rodan' which has won a good deal of acclaim. anyways, essentially I'm wanting a shock setup like that on my bike...I think it's cleaner, and frankly no one else does it...all the more reason for me to do it. What would a swingarm like that cost me?

I've seen pictures of the bike - although not up close and very detailed. From what I can see, it's just an extended arm with a shock mount welded to the top of it. Am I wrong? If so, we should be able to do it.

As far as costs go; if you buy the materials, I'll do the labor at no charge. Assume we used steel rather than aluminum, should be less than $75-100.

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:26:18 pm »
Is this the one you'd like to replicate?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:10 pm »
So i gather that you aren't expecting your bike to handle well after the mods..? That Fuller bike is a looks only machine , the linkage has been removed from the Yamaha rear suspension on it so its basically useless, the extra length in the rear will slow down the bikes response to steering input at the rear while the front is lowered speeding up steering response at the front stupid really, but if thats what you want then at least you know....go for it.... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.