Author Topic: RAMFLO's  (Read 3876 times)

Offline dlhoulton

• Enthusiast
RAMFLO's
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »
Another air filter option for the CB lovers is the RAMFLO 400 series filters. The Lynx Corp. that's located in Australia is now making them with blank base plates. Drilling holes is no problem, just have to figure a way to mount them to the carbs. I'm thinking as soon as Tintop starts producing his filters and stacks that the stacks that he's done so much research and development into would be a perfect match!!! Here is a picture of the RAMFLO 400 series:

A set of these from Australia were $130 U.S. plus shipping. You can by them from several U.S. suppliers also. Here is one link: http://www.paeco.com/Weiand%20Air%20Cleaners.htm . Go to bottom of page and you can see they sell just the blank plates or the whole kit.

Let me finish with that I'm not trying to take anything away from what Tintop has done. From what I see he has put a ton of work along with lots of R and D into his product.
I'm just putting this out there for others looking for something with a different look.

dlhoulton

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
Re: RAMFLO's
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »
So that's basically the same as Tintops kit.  I like the black filter though - purely for asthetics.
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
1971 Kawasaki F7 175 Enduro
2000 Honda VFR800 (gone but not forgotten)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
Stock airbox mounting rubbers should be easy to use for these like they do with the Henry Abe breadbox if the holes are cut correctly.

Offline dlhoulton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:33 pm »
Stock airbox mounting rubbers at least 750's are too long. The part inside the airbox. You would have to cut too much of the velocity stack off them and loose the concept. Now from pictures (like the one Tintop posted) for the CB500/550 they look a lot shorter (the inside portion) and maybe fit.
What I would like to try is getting a set of Tintop's velocity stacks and trying them. He has put a lot of work into his with the "rolled lip" and keeping the "velocity stack" concept. I think he has a gold mine here with his and could open up a lot of options for other air box/filter projects.
The Steel Dragon Performance air box machined stacks look like they will fit also. That was why I initially contacted them to see if they would make some. But for these (RAMFLO) I think the best option would be Tintop's. Low profile, rolled lip and maintain the velocity stack concept.
dlhoulton

Offline dlhoulton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:38 pm »
Here is an exploded view of the RAMFLO:

dlhoulton

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:04 pm »
I believe Tintop will sell you a set of just the rubber stacks without the filter/plate.  Although obviously ask him.  ;D
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
1971 Kawasaki F7 175 Enduro
2000 Honda VFR800 (gone but not forgotten)

Offline dlhoulton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:39:32 pm »
srbakker, I've been in contact with him and he has me on his list. He's been very busy with his move and working on his projects. I've read through his post "The Anti-Pod" and he posted that might start a new run sometime in March. Fingers crossed!!!

dlhoulton

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:27 pm »
Aw, I read the title of this thread as "ROTFLMAO." I'm sure this air filter is great but I was a bit disappointed by the topic. ;)

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:03:07 pm »
Subscribed ! I have been looking for this style for years. I had the same appearing filters back in 78 , as I remember they were not that much of a performance tool but I just like the looks. This is the first I've seen except for some ebay rusty stuff! I would like to have the stacks in them, shouldn't be too hard to fab. Here is an old pic of my K8 in 1980, you can just make out the mushroom (Ramflo) filters.
Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !