Author Topic: 1972 CB 350 Twin  (Read 1523 times)

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
1972 CB 350 Twin
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »
I'm not sure where I need to post this since the bike is not a four.  If I need to go elsewhere let me know, it won't hurt my feelings.  I am taking on the resto of a 72 350; or at least I think I am.

Last summer I finished work on a 74 550.  I sold it, made a bit of money on the deal if you don't factor in the labor.  Ha!

This past winter I worked on a 78 Suzuki GS 750 that is now done and it is a bike that I intend to keep along with a great V-star 1100 I have which is my every day rider.  (If winter ever ends)  I love the bike and I have been skulking over on the GS Resourse site this winter.

I'll show you the bike and I have a couple of questions.

Some of the stuff that you don't see like the side covers are here.  Most of the bike is intact and a definite candidate for restoration.   Motor turns over fine, will find out soon about electrics.  Last ran in 2002.  Some DA did a bad paint job on it and should stick to graffitti.  None of the chrome is any good, but not rusted. The inside of the tanks is surprisingly clean. Outside of the tank is pretty smooth.  The only real damage is the brake light reflector has a hole in it, the left muffler has a hole, but otherwise intact and the front fender needs some serious dent repair.  But it should clean up nice.  Should run.

Is it worth more in parts?  Can I get the normal maintenance parts?  Is there a service manual handy.  Looking for input, and a good twin guru,  thanks.

Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 1972 CB 350 Twin
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:14:47 pm »
Wedoo, I am over half way through a rebuild of a cb350k3...parts availability is almost as good as the cb750, these are a lot simpler, smaller, and thus easier to work on.  Unfortunately, they also don't command the high prices that the four's do.  They are popular and sell quickly, for the right price.  It seems that no one wants to pay much for them though.  If you enjoy these bikes, they are a lot of fun, and worth fixing up, but you probably are not gonna make a killing when it's time to flip it.  Check out Honda Twins.net to find a bunch of twin gurus.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline bailboy

• Savior of the Internet
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:30:33 pm »
a CB350 twin was my first bike and I loved it!!!  Very nimble with plenty of power to move my 155 pound self.  As stated above parts are reasonable to find and cheaper than the big fours.  If I remember correctly My father and I upgraded the charging system to accommodate the headlight being on all the time.  We also tossed on a 2-into-1 for fun. 

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:31 am »
Thanks to both of you for the replies.  I went over to the twin site and read the first post I came to on another 350.  The guy started over the winter and was making very nice progress and it was looking good.  Got into the motor, replaced rings, powder-coated the frame and other parts, put it about 75% back together.  He did the work in his basement.

Then, all of the sudden, he writes that he tried to start the bike and it caught fire.

Sheese!  At any rate I think I'll skulk over there for a while and post my progress on that site.  This is still a fun place to visit though.
Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 04:00:51 am »
At one time here were more 350s sold than some othere manufacturers entire line of motorcycles, so parts are readily available as stated earlier.  The one part that is difficult to find, for a reasonable price that is) is the carb diaphragm.  Check those right off as they tend to dry rot, or if that doesn't happen become stiff as a board.  I am in the process of finishing up a K4 that had been hacked up by a wannabe mechanic.  Wheels misaligned, wire harness routed on top of the frame, brake brackets on wrong, steering races in wrong, starter motor wire pinched between motor and frame, etc.  When done you will have a fun bike to ride...Larry