Author Topic: Rust Info  (Read 1422 times)

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Rust Info
« on: July 24, 2006, 01:16:19 pm »
Didn't find this posted anywhere else (I searched).

Some decent rust information at this site.
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html
No.

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
Re: Rust Info
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:22:58 pm »
this is nuts...

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold. These people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal salts, high moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your shop, be careful about letting them handle good steel or tools. You might be the first to discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys with a corrosive touch.

If you have this unique body oil, consider wearing cotton gloves oiled with something like Breakfree CLP to keep your body oils off of tools. Breakfree CLP is a multipurpose teflon oil designed to clean, lubricate, and protect metal. Another approach is to wash your hands and give them a light rub with mineral oil before handling metal.
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:38:10 pm »
this is nuts...

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold. These people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal salts, high moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your shop, be careful about letting them handle good steel or tools. You might be the first to discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys with a corrosive touch.

If you have this unique body oil, consider wearing cotton gloves oiled with something like Breakfree CLP to keep your body oils off of tools. Breakfree CLP is a multipurpose teflon oil designed to clean, lubricate, and protect metal. Another approach is to wash your hands and give them a light rub with mineral oil before handling metal.

I thought that was pretty bizarre myself when I read it.
No.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:50:09 pm »
I'm not sure there are unique people in this regard. If you have valued firearms, it pays not to handle the metal with your bare hands without cleaning before putting them away, same reason, corrosion.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:35:22 pm »
Well I'll be.........(learn sumpin' new every day!!!!)
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......