Author Topic: Home Zinc Electroplating  (Read 20818 times)

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
Home Zinc Electroplating
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:14 pm »
First off let me say that I am by no means a chemist.  If I had a chemistry class in High School, I don’t remember any of it.

This is a summary of what I’ve read.
Electroplating occurs in an electrolytic substance of free ions which are the carriers of electric current.  Here this is, Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and Vinegar (acid).   Connected to the positive of an electric power source an anode made of zinc, attracting negatively charged ions causing Oxidation.   At the negative side of the power source is the cathode, attracting positively charged cations, moving ions away toward the anode. Here it provides electrons to the cations to convert them back to the parent metal (zinc).  This process is called reduction.

In short, the zinc leaves the positive side and binds itself to the negative side.

Supplies:
Various measuring cups, postal scale for measuring by weight, copper pipe and wire, and a plastic tub.
Epsom salts (pharmacy section of your local grocery store)
White Vinegar (baking section of your local grocery store)
Zinc Sulfate (available online, reduces time and increases quality of the plating)
Karo brand corn syrup.  (baking section of your local grocery store, contains glucose that acts as a brightener by keeping the zinc crystals in alignment)
Zinc Anode, (online or in home stores in desert climates as it’s used for evaporative (swamp) coolers)
A DC Power Supply, low amps (1A to 300mA).

Solution:
4.5 liters water
300 grams Epsom salts
100 grams zinc sulfate
200ml of white vinegar
1/3 bottle of corn syrup

Stir in plastic tub till dissolved.

Setup:
Suspend Zinc Anode(s) in solution and hook up to positive of DC Power Supply.
Have copper bar go across top of the plastic tub, copper wires wrapped around bar, so you can suspend parts in solution without touching Zinc Anode(s).

Electro zinc plating:
Strip metal to be plated.  I soaked my parts in vinegar for several days to dissolve the rust, and then cleaned with a wire brush and sand blasted.   Finally I wiped my parts down with denatured alcohol.

My first try, this is a pivot shaft from the center stand of a 75 cb750 I'm restoring.

After sand blasting

Suspend part in solution with copper wire.

Attach negative power supply to copper bar.
In about 1 minute your Anodes and part will bubble.

In 5-10 minutes disconnect power and inspect part.  It should have a milky coating of zinc.  Clean with wire bush and/or steel wool.
You may need to repeat for a thorough covering.
Then polish to a shine.

Some more parts, rusty engine mount bolts

After plating and polishing

Part of the center stand, connects frame to spring.

Rear brake arm

Head nut

All the parts I did today.

All these parts are from a 1975 CB750K I'm restoring.  All were dirty, rusty and pitted.  Now plated to hold up to the elements of an other 40 years.:thumbsup:

This box of parts took me the better part of a day.  The process is time consuming.  I plan to buy common sized stainless steel nuts and bolts from the hardware store.  But for the stuff that is specific to the bike, I plan to zinc plate.

Offline UncleD

Re: Home Zinc Electroplating
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
I've been doing my own plating as well. I must say though that you have done a much better job at documenting your process than I have with mine.

A word of caution about zinc plating.

My buddy pointed me to this link http://www.infinitechfinishing.com/Articles/Article7.htm about Zinc Plating. Read the section “You Crack Me Up!  Hydrogen Embrittlement is No Laughing Matter” in the article below.
Basically be careful about zinc plating high strength bolts and fasteners because of hydrogen embrittlement. Plating mild steel parts and brackets don't seem to be a big problem but be careful about high strength steel parts.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »
Well done
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »
Saw something about zinc plating this past week. Seems they spent about $75 for an Eastwood kit. I like your's MUCH better. Results are great. Homemade is good  :)

Question: When you 'suspend' the parts from the copper pipe, your copper wire is soldered to the pipe. Are you soldering the parts to be plated or just hanging them on the copper wire? Some do have holes but there was the solid engine mount bolt too? 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:57:24 pm »
Very nice results!! Thank you! 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:12:06 am »
Question: When you 'suspend' the parts from the copper pipe, your copper wire is soldered to the pipe. Are you soldering the parts to be plated or just hanging them on the copper wire? Some do have holes but there was the solid engine mount bolt too?
I only soldered two wires to the pipe, thinking good continuity would be a problem, but it wasn't an issue.  I would have several wires just hooked around the pipe at a time doing smaller parts.  I just hung the parts on the wires. For bolts I wrapped the wire around the bolt a couple of times.

BTW, I have about $30 into it and have enough left over to do this several times.  The copper bar, wire and tub I had.

Offline lwahples

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:08 am »
Parts came out nice. Well worth the effort.

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
Just what I have been looking for, a simple how to at home.
Thanks
Now to start gathering.
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline metalhead0283

• Enthusiast
  • speed on brother hell aint half full
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 06:53:42 pm »
ok this is kool...guess ill go do lil shopping tomorrow an try my hand at this
77 xs650  81 xs650  76 cb550f  2010 triumph street triple

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 07:51:04 pm »
yeah me too. that is the best grocery list ever.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:11:58 pm »
I'd almost bet most of you guys have left over power converters/chargers for electronics, etc. You know, the small ones you plug into the wall socket. AC to DC low voltage. I just glanced through a large box of spares and noticed 3 or 4. 500mA DC output, 600mA, etc. Some are differing output voltages. 9V, etc. I'm thinking these should work just fine. I believe the Eastwood kit uses 2 D size batteries.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Bandit18

• I'm not a freakin Genius
  • Enthusiast
  • 78' CB550K
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 02:05:20 am »
Very nice,I too will have to give this ago... :D

Offline UncleD

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
I'd almost bet most of you guys have left over power converters/chargers for electronics, etc. You know, the small ones you plug into the wall socket. AC to DC low voltage. I just glanced through a large box of spares and noticed 3 or 4. 500mA DC output, 600mA, etc. Some are differing output voltages. 9V, etc. I'm thinking these should work just fine. I believe the Eastwood kit uses 2 D size batteries.

Yes I use left over chargers I have lying around the house. It would be nice to have a regulated power suppply but their very pricey.

The other challenge is to find zinc anode readily available around the house.
I use an old zinc anode that came from the bottom of my outboard motor. It's been sitting in the shed for years until I realized I can use it as anode for plating.
Also, the lincoln penny pre 1984 I believe are made of zinc......

Offline GrandRapids750K3

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:00:00 am »
Hey Grepper.... Great work. I'm over in GR, once I got the bike roaring again we should meet up for a ride, did a little tour of the Lowell area last summer, some good riding....

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 12:52:37 pm »
GrandRapids750K3:  I'm a long way away from getting this bike going, untill then I'll be on one of my Yamaha xs650s
Do you know these guys? http://www.vintagericeburners.com/.   Met them last year and road out to the Gilmore vintage motorcyle show with them. http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/html/events_details.php?event_id=7&nav_id=5

Offline lone*X

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05:36 pm »
"Also, the lincoln penny pre 1984 I believe are made of zinc......"

Unk, its the other way around.  Pre 84 were pure copper, copper plated zinc since.  Wouldn't do much good at all in this process due to the copper plating.
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Offline GrandRapids750K3

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:06 pm »
Grepper- I know of them but haven't got a chance to head down for a ride yet. Planning on heading to Gilmore this year. Last year was the first year my bike was even semi road worthy, so I out in about 1000 miles. New carbs, air box, exhaust, tires, rear wheel, and brakes this year.... Hope I can get it all done by the time it's warm...

Offline UncleD

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:23 pm »
"Also, the lincoln penny pre 1984 I believe are made of zinc......"

Unk, its the other way around.  Pre 84 were pure copper, copper plated zinc since.  Wouldn't do much good at all in this process due to the copper plating.

Ooops you are correct, it is the other way around. Thanks for correcting me.
Actually if you hold the penny with needle nose pliers heat it up with a propane torch, the zinc literally melts off the copper plating (melts quicker than copper). If you do this on the ground close to the cement floor for example, when the zinc melts it drips on the cement floor and creates a thin sheet of zinc. This is a good size piece of zinc for the smaller power supplies.

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:02 am »
Having trouble finding zinc sulphate locally :-\
my build

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 12:14:12 pm »
Original poster stated, "Zinc Sulfate (available online"

So, looking online for Zinc Sulfate heptahydrate  Grainger offers it...

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 12:37:10 pm »
I know, I just didn't want to have to wait :)
my build

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 01:28:57 pm »
Grainger's is ANALYTICAL grade. That is THE top 'official' grade used in consumables and testing. It will definitely work but WAY too overkill. $70 for 1.1LB.

Wish I was at work (not!) because I could check availability at my drug wholesaler's website for a 'less than analytical' inexpensive grade. I will be able to check next Thursday. 

I did see one guy/place online that sells from bulk for ~ $12/lb. Shipping will double that.

If you guys have a friendly pharmacy close by stop in and ask them if they will check their wholesaler's website for availability. Might want to tell them what you are doing as this is the post-modern paranoid society we are living in. You could always print out the post and give it to them then ask if they can get it for you. If you brought it to me I would then be willing to try to help. You can avoid any shipping charges this way and have it the next day.  ;D If they can get it for you please ask them which wholesaler they use and let us know so we can ask our pharmacies if they use that wholesaler. The order number would come in handy too.

Here, try Amazon. 1LB, 5LB, 10LB. Again, shipping doubles the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005H2Z4XY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new] [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005H2Z4XY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new[/url]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:40:37 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 01:39:52 pm »

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 01:52:37 pm »
Best deal I've seen yet. I'll inquire about shipping to Canada.
Wonder what they would say at the border if I had it shipped to the depot there?
1 lb bag of white crystaline powder?
Sure it's zinc, come over here please sir :o
my build

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 03:02:19 pm »
Prepare to grab your ankles, turn your head, and cough.  Or something like that...
David- back in the desert SW!