Author Topic: CB550 Cafe Project (Possible Hard Sell)  (Read 19045 times)

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
CB550 Cafe Project (Possible Hard Sell)
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:20 pm »
So I am starting to take this apart and freshen it up little by little. Anyone want to shares their thoughts?

Laid some quick paint on the tank (emblems will be back on) and the side cover to determine if I like this color in ultra flat or a low gloss finish. I think the low gloss looks better with the chrome. 

I am unsure if I want to paint the rear fender or leave it chrome. If I do paint it I am thinking that I should put the front fender on painted as well. I am going to stick with the chrome pipes and the chrome shocks, headlight ears, and tank cap.

As far as the motor I am thinking of adding some black.

Headlight bucket will be painted same color as the tank and the front forks will be polished.

Any thoughts or ideas?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:49:39 am by davidtime »

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
Re: My first project SOHC 1974 CB550K
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:41:56 pm »
So I have totally changed my mind on this. It is no longer a bobber project it is a cafe project now. First it was a low cafe and now its not.  Thing runs decent for now although I haven't taken it out on the road yet, and after pulling the shortys off the back I'm glad I didn't. Aren't those supposed to be the same size? Here are a couple of random pics. Can't believe I bought it because it was already lowered.

I tore apart the seat so I would have a metal pan to work with when making a cafe seat. Looked at the bike and decided I may as well just purchase on from roc city because I would mess it up once and then it will ending up costing more to make instead of buy.

Got a new frame coming in so the switch will begin soon.

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
Re: My first project SOHC 1974 CB550K
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:58 am »
Just got the seat pan yesterday and now I am pretty sure I want to either go with a 750 supersport tank or a cb400f tank. The lines will match up perfectly if the tanks are the same size.

Does anyone have this 74 550k tank and a 400f tank that you could do a side by side comparison?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:29:43 am by davidtime »

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
Re: My first cafe project CB550 pointers welcomed
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »
Here is my progress I had today. I had to start tearing it down because I got confirmation that the new frame will be here tomorrow. This is officially going to be a 1977 bike.

Is it easier to get the engine out standing how it is or should I take it down to the frame and engine?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:58:44 pm by davidtime »

Offline icecoast

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:12 am »
It's got enough room to pull it out standing up but much easier if you lay it on its side and lift the frame off the motor.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:37 am »
If you're planning to take the swingarm and front end off anyway then I would do that before you pull the motor ... if you're using the "lay it on it's side" tecnique. If the frame is heavy you will struggle to manipulate it carefully off the engine. The lighter it is the more precise you can be with it and less scratches you will get when removing it... this is even more true if you're dropping a freshly painted motor into a freshly painted frame. Also helps a lot to have 2 people.

IW

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:22 am »
i like it.  either tank would match your seat pan better than your 550 tank.
I do think the 500/550 tanks had nice shapes, though.
be sure to add front fork brace or fender mount bracket for stability  ;)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:15 am »
Alright so I guess I will lay it down for sure. I guess I will be pulling the front end and the rear swing arm off today.

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:51:07 am »
i like it.  either tank would match your seat pan better than your 550 tank.
I do think the 500/550 tanks had nice shapes, though.
be sure to add front fork brace or fender mount bracket for stability  ;)

What is the fender mount bracket, does it run fork to fork? ? Are these pretty wobbly?

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:59:10 am »
yes, it runs fork to fork inside the fender. besides holding your fender in place, it provides support to your forks.
if you go fenderless, you should run some sort of support there in its place. 
some cut out the u-shaped bracket and run that.  others go for an aftermarket fork brace. 
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
77/78 cool 2 member #3

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:12:23 am »
yes, it runs fork to fork inside the fender. besides holding your fender in place, it provides support to your forks.
if you go fenderless, you should run some sort of support there in its place. 
some cut out the u-shaped bracket and run that.  others go for an aftermarket fork brace.

I have seen those and I just added it to my list of things I need to get. List is getting pretty big now. That's alright though I am not in a huge hurry. I got the bike with a guesstimate of a year to finish.

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:08:01 am »
I have seen those and I just added it to my list of things I need to get. List is getting pretty big now. That's alright though I am not in a huge hurry. I got the bike with a guesstimate of a year to finish.

It looks like you have one.  Isn't that the front fender that I see in a box with some other parts?  If it is, just drill out the rivets and bolt the brace back on your forks. 

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 09:17:56 am »

It looks like you have one.  Isn't that the front fender that I see in a box with some other parts?  If it is, just drill out the rivets and bolt the brace back on your forks.

I do have the front fender. So that's actually a brace as well? Good to know. I was actually thinking of making the fender shorter and putting it back on.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:18:57 am »

+1   ;D   free.
wire wheel to clean it and rattle can it.  done  8)
that is, if you cut it from the fender  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:21:58 am by flybox1 »

Past Bikes
77/78 cool 2 member #3

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 09:41:55 am »
Can someone let me know the process of getting the front end off? I think I only need to remove the triple tree and forks in one piece from the neck.

On another note I want to change the headlight ears and put some new gaiters on it but am unsure how..

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:08 am »
Yes, that's right. You remove the top triple and the rest comes out the bottom of the neck.

Unbolt the bars. Loosen the 2 nuts that clamp the triple to the fork tubes (I usually use a regular screw driver to spread the opening a little so the tubes slide out more easily), remove the nut and bolt that are parallel to the ground in front of the tank, then remove the two large nuts at the top of the stem. The fork tubes and lower tree should slide right off, but you may need to work the fork ears back and forth a bit as they do tend to rust and stick to the tubes.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »
Happen to know what size the nuts are? I am going to have to go purchase some because none of mine are that big.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
No, I don't recall. I can check for you tomorrow though. I know I bought a wrench or socket big enough to fit it, but since the bike is at my remote workspace (AKA my sister's garage) I can't check right now.

I do however have the ring spanner I bought for the toothed nut at home, I can tell you the size of that one tonight. It isn't an expensive tool and it is worth adding to your workshop kit.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 01:29:18 pm »
I am sure I can find it somewhere online easily.

Offline jtran000

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 02:05:07 pm »
Xsmooth69X did a great thread on his build

he also links vid on the fork seals replacement process, check it out

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

link to video:
CB550 Fork Seals

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 03:10:38 pm »
I actually watched this video last night and found it very informative. Looks like I may be watching you tube videos more often.

If anyone needs to know the size of these nuts the one is the center is 30mm but all they had was a 1 3/16 so I got that instead and the fork tube nuts are 23mm.

Got the call today and the frame is ready to be picked up from Greyhound so hopefully I can start prep on that tomorrow.

Looking for a CB400F tank because it will really match the seat pan that I got good. If I can't find one of those I may decide on a 750F tank. If anyone knows fitment problems with those let  me know.

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:59 pm »
And here she sits tonight. Easier than I thought it would be. As long as I do something everyday I'm making progress. I took the whole front end off including wire harness in one move.

Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 01:09:22 pm »
A couple more pictures of todays progress. Here she sits

A couple pictures of the motor

It really needs paint and maybe a head gasket and valve cover gasket and a paint job. I was hoping the engine would just clean up but it has a bunch of paint chipping off and it looks ugly. $$$

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »
So today I am working on stripping the frame. I was sanding for a minute but there was rust and decided I may take it and get it blasted but instead picked up some airplane stripper and what a breeze (good stuff). Now I need a couple bits of advice.

1. primer ( I bought rusty metal primer by rustoleum ) Does anyone know if this is a good one to use?

2. to get all of the welds and small spots in the frame I need some suggestions on what to use. I am using steel wool but I have problems with my hands cramping using it.

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:48 pm »
I used wire brushes Home Depot sell a 3 pack for a few bucks small and got a poky head on them