Author Topic: Need tires, options? Prefer classic look  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
Re: Need tires, options? Prefer classic look
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 05:55:17 am »
You really need to figure out what rim widths you have before deciding tyre sizes.
Fitting oversize tyres on stock rims is a total waste of time and money
Using stock sizes with wider rims will increase stability up to a point.
Going by 'don't like skinny tyres' just shows how little experience you have

I should have included that I believe these are factory rims. 2.15" for the rear and don't recall on the front but I believe it's the same, and current front is a 100/90-19. I do know how to read the manufacturers tire charts I linked to, which state recommended rim width and typically give min and max as well.

I've been riding for a while but never really got into handling and performance bike design. I build high performance automotive engines and transmissions, restore cars, build houses, design computer systems and infrastructure, but have not gotten into motorcycle suspension and handling design. That's why I'm here, asking for tire recommendations. I don't know everything about bikes, so I'm here to learn from those who know more than me about these bikes.

That being said given the 2.15"x18" rear wheel, what size front tire should I go with? I can verify rim width before ordering. I was leaning towards the GS-11 in either 3.25H19 or 3.50H19. The respective overall width is 99mm vs 103mm and both recommend a 2.15" rim. Which one would be better and why?

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 06:15:56 am »
I would stick with the stock 18 inch rims you have and the recommended sizes Honda stipulates in their manual, or the corresponding metric sized tires, IRC are cheap and nasty and the reason for the slower speeds on the 16 inch rim is that at the same speed the 16 is spinning faster than a 18 at the same speed therefore the tire is actually rotating at close to the same revolutions as the 18, so the tires are actually traveling at similar speeds.  16 inch rims were a fad on these bikes years ago, they handle best with 18 inch rear rims shod with the correct size tires. If you have no understanding of how to set up a bike's wheels properly , then i would leave it stock, its not a guessing game...

I had not heard of IRC tires before but was leaning towards them because several people here recommended them and they have a nice vintage tread pattern. What would be a better choice then for something that looks period correct? I will stay with the stock size rims, but what are the factory tire sizes? I don't have the bike's manual.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:06 am »
To summarize options for a period correct look so far...

IRC GS-11

Dunlop K70

Dunlop K81/TT100

Avon Speedmaster Rib front + Safety Mileage rear
   Not sure I understand what tread patterns are available on the different size Safety Mileage rear?

Continental RB2 front + K112 rear

Any others with similar classic styling? Of these, which will provide the best ride and handling?

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 10:53:28 am »
I think you need to analyze your riding habits first!  Highway vs backroads,aggressive in the twisties or conservative. If you like to rollover in the corners or smoke down the highway straight away.

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 10:55:04 am »
I like the Avons in backroad corners that's my style.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:57 am »
I think you need to analyze your riding habits first!  Highway vs backroads,aggressive in the twisties or conservative. If you like to rollover in the corners or smoke down the highway straight away.

And do plan wet weather riding?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 11:58:32 am »
A fair amount of highway, I do like to get aggressive in turns and back roads but not quite scraping on every corner like I used to.  Don't really do any fast straightaway blasts. I try to avoid the rain but will surely be stuck in the rain from time to time so do not want something that will be scary in the rain. Basically looking for a good all around tire. Not really concerned with cost.

What are each of the options I mentioned good at? Are some better when leaning through the twisties? Tread life? Good in rain? etc....

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 12:05:45 pm »
I've used the Conti's on various occasions and really like them.
Tread pattern was designed as a 'limited slip' to let you know your getting close to the edge but you can lean bike a LOT further onto the outside tread bars.
 I have a set fitted to my second CB360 at present but haven't done motor so they haven't been used yet
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »
For better or worse, I ordered the Continental K112 rear and RB2 front at sized 4.00H18 rear and 3.25H19 front. I also got Metzeler tubes and EBC brake pads and shoes. Figure I may as well at least do the shoes since I'll have the wheel off.

I also plan to make an order probably from Z1 this week to get a bunch of other parts so I will have gone through all the wear items and such which may have been neglected by previous owners. Triple tree bearings, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings fork seals, valve cover gasket, chain, sprockets, possibly a clutch, and misc other stuff. While I don't worry about breaking down, I want to get this thing to the point I can be totally confident in the bike while riding hard and comfortable riding it daily to work.

Offline Mo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 05:23:20 pm »
Woah, looks like you're from Cherry Hill. I grew up and went to high school there!

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 05:43:04 pm »
And I'm originally from Michigan... Go figure!

Offline Mo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »
Haha small world! You ever been to Vito's pizza?