Author Topic: Need help with CB550 Cafe Racer project  (Read 1146 times)

Offline dinooomite

Need help with CB550 Cafe Racer project
« on: April 14, 2013, 05:09:34 pm »
Hello all - just purchased a 1975 Honda cb 550 and want to turn it into a cafe racer. My main inspiration would be squirley's build and a couple other ones. I have the following questions that I would appreciate any input on:

1) is it possible (or reasonable) to swap out the front forks and rear wheel assembly with a newer model CBR? (Is it possible to convert to electronic speedo/tach?)

2) anyone know of a good seat fabrication website? I'd like one similar made to the Yamaha virago picture I've attached.

3) I already dropped the bike on its left side and broke the clutch lever assembly and was wondering what the cable besides the clutch cable is for?

4)is it possible to attach some type of frame slider? There happens to be a small crack on the right side of the engine after dropping it, would anyone happen to know if I have to worry about that crack/can I just repair it with some type of sealant?

5) would picking up a $1k Yamaha r6 work for parts? (Suspension, forks, rear wheelset?)

6) how could I lower the bike?

7) anyone use new/sportbike rearsets with the bike?

Thank you

Offline dinooomite

Re: Need help with CB550 Cafe Racer project
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 05:14:26 pm »
This is the Yamaha I would like it to look like btw.

Offline akabek

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:58:46 pm »
Here are some suggestions to get you started

1) is it possible (or reasonable) to swap out the front forks and rear wheel assembly with a newer model CBR? (Is it possible to convert to electronic speedo/tach?)  I did see a post where someone put a newer CBR600 front end on a CB550 and I believe they had a customer axle bolt made as well as spacers to align the shocks with the front wheel.  This site may help -   http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

2) anyone know of a good seat fabrication website? I'd like one similar made to the Yamaha virago picture I've attached.  Can't help here

3) I already dropped the bike on its left side and broke the clutch lever assembly and was wondering what the cable besides the clutch cable is for? That is probably the clutch switch to make sure the bike cannot be started in gear....must be in neutral.

4)is it possible to attach some type of frame slider? There happens to be a small crack on the right side of the engine after dropping it, would anyone happen to know if I have to worry about that crack/can I just repair it with some type of sealant?  I am not a fan of frame sliders on any bike so I cannot help you there.  You can try JB weld or hit up ebay for a new end cover.  I am pretty sure you will leak oil if you do not repair it.

5) would picking up a $1k Yamaha r6 work for parts? (Suspension, forks, rear wheelset?) With the right tools you can make anything fit.  Check the website I mentioned in question 1. 

6) how could I lower the bike? You can get shorter rear shocks.  Keep in mind any changes to the seat hit will effect steering and high speed stability.

7) anyone use new/sportbike rearsets with the bike?  With the right tooling you can make them fit.  Some people mount rear sets to where the passenger pegs should go but that depends on whether that position is comfortable for you.  You can also weld a new bracket to the frame and mount rears set there.  That is what I did but I used Tarozzi rearsets.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:02:50 pm by akabek »

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:08 am »
All of the above can be done, It just depends on your wallet, your fabrications skills
and the appropriate machines needed to help with the above project.........

sounds like a good project though

good luck

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:41:35 pm »
Yes,I agree,all possible,it's $$ that usually limit you.I have CB500/550 parts as in the cracked cam cap cover,Bill
Welcome aboard and Good Luck! ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.