Author Topic: Fuel proof thread sealer?  (Read 2251 times)

USN20

Fuel proof thread sealer?
« on: July 30, 2006, 05:39:37 am »
I'm replacing the stock petcock on my '74 CB750 with a new OEM part this week. The original petcock-to-tank mounting screws were very difficult to remove due to rusted threads as the screw ends protrude into the fuel tank by design. The fuel tank threaded holes are fine.

Is there any type of thread sealer I can apply on the new screws that will hold up to a long-term fuel environment and allows future disassembly? 

Thanks!

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Fuel proof thread sealer?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:17:12 am »
I would use stainless fasteners. For sealant I would use a non-hardening gasket compound, applied sparingly on the screw threads.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 07:58:22 am »
Dont forget the hard fibre washers under the screw heads or fuel will bypass the tap and it will be like you left the tap on all the time
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline aptech77

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:59:13 am »
In aviation we use a product called Pro-Seal. Works wonders! Link....http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/prosealtypetanksealant.php
This is one place to find it.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 05:55:52 am »
I dont know how it would work on threads but I us HYLOMAR by permatex on old bowl gaskets.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

USN20

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:24:59 pm »
Thanks for the ideas  ;D

Think I'll try the stainless steel screws along with the Gasoila brand thread sealant as it's soft-set and gasoline resistant.  http://www.gasoila.com/index.php?path=large_gasSoftset.htm

Offline DiscoEd

• Hot Shot
  • Keeping it surreal!
    • My personal gallery is at:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:44:25 pm »
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but would teflon tape work? I think i saw a statement one time that is useful with some types of corrosive liquids and gases.

IF it will work with gasoline, the best part is "no messy goop"!

Regards,
DiscoEd
1975 CB550 K1
1976 CB550
1974 CB360
2003 Suzuki Volusia Intruder

My personal gallery is at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=1954

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:58:14 pm »
Never tried it, but there are two kinds of Teflon tape, that which is used by plumbers and then there is a kind specifically for the type of application you mentioned. Use the common variety around fuel and it will just dissolve.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline aptech77

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 05:59:31 pm »
Will not work. Try SeaLube, EZ Turn, PRC(on for ever),or Fuel Lube.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:41:26 pm »
Teflon tape is made for tapered pipe threads that compress it as they are tightened. For non-tapered threads there is TPS from SAF-T-LOK corporation but I think Permatex type 2 should work fine.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• Enthusiast
  • SOHC4 #47 ...one of the Old Pharts
    • The Other Hobby: Restoring Lotuses
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:07:02 am »
In aviation we use a product called Pro-Seal. Works wonders! Link....http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/prosealtypetanksealant.php
This is one place to find it.

Yup.  Just don't try and take the damn thing apart after it sets up...previous A&P used it to seal the quick drain into my O320
oil pan...and when my #3 piston disintergrated making a shi%load of metal and I pulled the engine off (after setting down in a
grass strip) and disassembled...trying to get the bugger out so I could ship the case off to Divco was a stone breaker.

--
Bryan
SOHC4 #47
Proud member since 1994, active on and off
Commercial Pilot/Flight Instructor-Instrument/A&P
Morrisville PA
'63 CA95, '64 CA77, '73 CB350F, '73 CB350F, 2 Lotus Europas and Lots of Parts All Over The Place

Offline aptech77

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 08:20:43 am »
Like I said Pro-Seal/PRC (on for ever). Its A #$%* to get off, but seals like a champ! For a good seal that you can get off later, try EZ Turn or Fuel Lube.