Author Topic: Solid state reg/rec wiring ?'s Mine has orange wires...  (Read 1081 times)

Offline JLeather

• Expert
Solid state reg/rec wiring ?'s Mine has orange wires...
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:22 am »
A couple years ago I picked up a brand new solid state reg/rec that I'm about to wire on my bike.  It's an 8-wire unit, so it's intended for a bike with a field coil (similar to the diagram found at http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/reg_rect_diagram/reg_rect_diagram.jpg) and I'm pretty sure when I got it the unit was billed as fitting a CB750 SOHC.  The thing is the colors are different from the diagram, and if it came with any paperwork I lost it long ago.  Instead of the colors in that diagram I've got (3) Yellow, Red, Black, Green, and (2) Orange.  It's the orange wires that are throwing me off a bit.  Some are self explanatory; the 3 yellow are obviously for the stator, the red should go to battery (+).  My best guess is that the black wire is battery (-), the orange wires are for the switched hot and the field coil (the alternator W wire in the diagram above), and the green wire is for stator ground.  I was just wondering if anyone else has a reg/rec unit with the same wire colors and how they wired theirs up.