Author Topic: Spiegler brake hose parts for 1978 CB550K?  (Read 1483 times)

Justin_NJ

Spiegler brake hose parts for 1978 CB550K?
« on: May 17, 2005, 06:49:30 am »
Does anyone know what the front brake hose fitting type is for a '78 CB550K?  I'm a complete novice trying to order a braided steel hose from Spiegler, but I can't figure out which fitting I have.  Their list is of fittings is here:  http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/customline.cfm?type=std

Do I need to order two front lines (upper and lower) like my bike has now?  Or can replace that with one long one?  What other parts do need for installation?

Any help would be appreciated -- I don't want to mess up my order or my installation.

Thanks,
Justin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 06:51:09 am by Justin_NJ »

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Re: Dumb questions about brake hose parts for 1978 CB550K
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:52:59 am »
You can replace the whole item with one long braided line but you will lose your front brake light (which is activated by a pressure switch in the connector on the fork yoke). In the UK this would fail an MOT inspection.  The alternative is to use a replacement master cylinder with a switch built-in for the front brake light.

I'm sure someone here can give you chapter and verse on the parts you need (and then pass them to us so that we can post in the FAQs!!)
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Flood

Re: Spiegler brake hose parts for 1978 CB550K?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 09:08:58 am »
What Steve said, regarding the split lines;

dunno if it's any help to you as it seems that you want to order them directly. I ordered my Spieglers from a bike shop. They just noted the bike ('76 550F). I gave them one of my old lines as a pattern, just in case, and they ordered the correct lines.

I still have the original package, but I won't be in the workshop until next weekend. I'll take a look for specs if there are any.

Cheers, Remi

Justin_NJ

Re: Spiegler brake hose parts for 1978 CB550K?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 10:20:50 am »
That would be a big help because my local shop said they won't order them for me, they'll only install them.  I figure if I'm going to go through the trouble of ordering them myself, I might as well install them myself.