Author Topic: Gasket Removal  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Short Round

• Hot Shot
Gasket Removal
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:42:18 am »
Been a long time since I have been on here.  Recently I have been really wanting to finish my 550 project that I began many years ago.  I have the top end of the motor all tron down.  New pistons, rings gaskets ect.  My problem before I shelved the project the first time was getting the base gasket off the bottom end.  I remember I tried everything to get it off to no avail.

Any suggestions? 

Might be another month before I get back to this long over due project but in the mean time if you have any ideas on how to remove this baked on gasket please let me know.

Thanks in advance
1974 CB550

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
Re: Gasket Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:28 am »
I like to use exacto knives and razor blades.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:49 am »
JUST A SUGGESTION HERE!!!!

You might try sitting the head in a tray of BRAKE FLUID just deep enough to cover the gasket. I know Brake fluid will usually soften and eat away  anything NOT brake fluid tolerant!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:01:53 am »
JUST A SUGGESTION HERE!!!!

You might try sitting the head in a tray of BRAKE FLUID just deep enough to cover the gasket. I know Brake fluid will usually soften and eat away  anything NOT brake fluid tolerant!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

How will that remove the cylinder base gasket?

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:22:30 am »
The fluid will melt the bonding agent and the gasket compound just like it MELTS your paint when you get brake fluid on it!!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:23:57 am »
The base gasket is the worst.... I used permatex gasket remover and a bit of cursing.

I think that if you search you may find that some have used rotary scotchbrite pads successfully.

Here, I did a search for you:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=110046.0
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Roloc-Bristle-Disc.html
71 CB750 K1
103,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:20 am »
I've used the permatex remover, a razor blade and a lot of beer and time.  It sucks.

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:48 am »
Razor blades, some music, and beer. Its not a fast process, think more relaxing then moving at break neck speed. My head gasket was baked on, I used a fast wire wheel, razor blade, shoch bright pad, flat file, and a long block of 100 grit sand paper.
Current ride: 78' Cb750F

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:16 am »
I've used the rotary scotchbrite pads that go on your die grinder with great success. I think I used the lightest of them. They should be available at your auto parts joint, in the bodywork section.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline bluesoverlord

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:59 am »
You've got to be in the right frame of mind to do a base gasket. Being in the right frame of mind is very important because if you're in a rush you're only going ot get frustrated and then nick the surface.

Better to put the iPod on with your favorite music and mellow out for awhile.

I just put on some SRV and immerse myself in Little Wing and I'm just gone. Pretty soon it doesn't matter what I'm doing, the hands are on automatic pilot...then the job's done before you know it.

Better to enjoy the journey then the destination (especially if the destination is a pine box).

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:57 pm »
I used paint stripper brushed on gently, just on the gasket . Waited 10-20 min and it was much easier to remove. Permatex didnt do anything. Small wire wheel on a dremel helped, but be sure to mask off everything if you go this route. You dont want tiny brass   pieces in your motor.
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline sniper1

• SNIPER1
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »
Gasket removal is the worst thing in the world. I have done everything that was said previously. My method was as follows:
1. Get beer (lots of beer)
2. have Ipod ready to go with favorite tunes.
3. Use permatex (lots of permatex)
4 Get gasket removal tool from Sears
5. Get sharpening stone to keep removal tool sharp
6. Scrape, Scrape, Scrape...
7. when you get close to the base, use scotch brite pad on drill. (be careful not to go too deep)
8. Razor blade works great also, but watch your fingers.
9. After about a week...you should be close to being complete.

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 06:22:42 pm »
9. After about a week...you should be close to being complete.

Ha, seriously.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »
I've used the rotary scotchbrite pads that go on your die grinder with great success. I think I used the lightest of them. They should be available at your auto parts joint, in the bodywork section.

Problem with that, if If it's an original gasket it will contain asbestos
I use 1/4" and 3/8" wide wood chisels, keep them as sharp as possible and you wont damage gasket surface
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline reddyvv

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 06:47:54 pm »
I tried everything mentioned here, Permatex and paint remover were only good for placebo effect. At the end the only thing that worked was razor blades to get the thick stuff off and then Scotch Brite pads on a drill - gently.

Trying to using just a scraper and a blade was causing more nicks than the risk of overdoing it with the Scotch Brite.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »
The Permatex does work you just got to cover in plastic and let it soak overnight.

Offline reddyvv

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 08:07:45 pm »
The Permatex does work you just got to cover in plastic and let it soak overnight.

If that's so they ought to put it in the Instructions. I noticed that it dried out pretty quick.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 08:10:17 pm »

If that's so they ought to put it in the Instructions. I noticed that it dried out pretty quick.

Yeah your right about that it should be in the instructions.  Hondaman told me to use the permatex foam gasket remover cover with plastic over night and then scrape.  It loosens a good chunk of the stuff up this way.  Still got to go over the last little bit though.

Definitely the worst part of a rebuild.

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:59 pm »
The fluid will melt the bonding agent and the gasket compound just like it MELTS your paint when you get brake fluid on it!!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)
The base gasket is under the cylinders not under the head. Putting the head in the stuff isn't going to get to the base gasket.

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:01 am »
Actually I used the medium, not the light. Yellow, like this.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mrol2yelbri.html
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »
Sandpaper and a board. Seriously- you want to lap the surface down down to metal.

If you know what lapping means, you're all good to go. If you don't, read on.

Lapping means sanding only the high points. The real trick with gaskets is that you want no nicks in the metal- that's a killer, because it lets pressurized oil start seeping through. Bad, bad, bad. The goal is to end up with a totally flat and even surface. Now, if you just plain ol' sand it, you risk creating high points and low points- very bad. BUT if you lap it, you're only taking off the high points.

For any gasket surface that's flat, it's easy- get a flat board (or, better yet, a piece of glass), lay some 250-300 grit sandpaper on it, and gently rub your sealing surface and your flat piece of sandpaper together. Doesn't matter which one you move, as long as you have more or less even pressure. Since the gasket material sticks out, it's the first to go.

For the base gasket, which has those annoying studs coming out of the surface, I used the side of a board. Specifically, I had a board that was 1 inch thick, 6 inche wide, and about 16 inches long, with nice, crisp corners. I folded the paper over the edge, and then used the edge of the board to lap between the studs. It's not ideal (you're not lapping the entire surface at once), but as long as you make sure you're changing directly often and have as much surface contact as possible, it's fine. You still might need to clean up some areas inside the studs with a razor blade afterward, but it shouldn't be hard.

An old race mechanic who used to work on these bikes back in the 70's taught me this trick- I had all the surfaces cleaned up and perfectly smooth in just a couple of hours. Be careful, go slow, and focus on making it flat more than cleaning off a given speck, and you'll be in great shape in no time.

Oh, yeah- and have a beer while you're at it :)

Have some pics!

Head, before:

Head and jugs, after:

Base, after:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:55:25 pm by DustyRags »
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold