Author Topic: 30ish mph rear wheel lock up. Just a few problems  (Read 1901 times)

Offline mjc477

30ish mph rear wheel lock up. Just a few problems
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »
Right some of you may have read my build thread ....500/4 hadleigh custom
And just last weekend everything was fine....I'll skip,the boring parts..

And the rear chain gaurd broke loose dragging into the front sprocket...ending in a 30ish mph rear wheel lock up...

It screwed the clutch rod...and made a bit of a mess...
Well I made a new rod and fitted it back together tonight and all felt fine

Fired up the engine and is running as per norm

But I have no,final drive to the sprocket....it spins a bit when turning over but stops when engine kicks in....and when it's running with the rear wheel,up,you can flick through the gears and nothing changes....( it does feel like,the gears are selecting)

I then went to push the kickstart over by hand to,see what resistance I had and it just drops and does not seem connected to,the engine?

Everything feels normal nothing sounds busted on the face of it it's ok

So I have lost final drive .....
It's late now and I'm of to bed to,take my mind of it
Any ideas as to,the fault to look for first bearing in mind the cause.....

locking up solid from the rear wheel at relatively moderate speed,.....

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:51:46 pm by mjc477 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: 30ish mph rear wheel lock up. Just a few problems
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:57 am »
check your clutch adjustment,if the kicker goes limp the clutch is slipping,the kicker drives via the clutch,,if you pull the clutch lever in you cant kick them over it goes limp.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:13 am »
There are really only three possibilities. Clutch stuck disengaged, primary chain snapped, and transmission damage. Since the wheel turns with the engine running, the primary drive is OK. I doubt if transmission damage would kill all the gear ratios. So clutch is most likely. The 500 clutch system is a bit different from other models, I'm not sure how it would manage to stick disengaged. Are you sure your replacement rod is the right length, and that the adjustement has been corrected to compensate for unavoidable differences?

Offline mjc477

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:13 am »
I've been thinking all day at work....and your views match mine ...it can't be primary chain as it would probably sound diabolical when running ....

It's got to be clutch adjustment. I made the rod about 1mm longer than the original to allow for the bends that I could not straighten out?...

The rod I,took out was in one piece as it still had the dome on it and I could see where the ball was seating on the other end...

I wonder if it is not seating in the clutch end top hat...?

I'm going to pop the rod out later tonight and run it up tomes if that sorts it out...

Just out of curiosity how much travel,is on rod activate the clutch?

I will report back later
Cheers guys

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:12 am »
I think it's a bit more serious. Shaft snapped possibly.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:22 am »
Since the wheel turns with the engine running, the primary drive is OK. I doubt if transmission damage would kill all the gear ratios.
The wheel would turn if the output shaft was broken. Remove the chain and try turning the front sproket with the bike in gear.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline mjc477

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:22 am »

Last night I had had enough so I just came in ....I've been thinking today and agree with you that it cannot be that bad as if it was the primary drive it would not run and if it did probably not for long ...

So,I got in and removed the rod I made and started it up,and it was fine......when I did make the rod I made it about 1 mm longer than the original to allow for the bends I could not straighten out..

I know it was not broken as the domed end was fine and I could see where the ball had been touching the lifter end

So I guess between the extra 1mm and the possibility of the domed end being a slightly different profile it extended the rod about 2mm lifting the clutch....so I simply re dressed the dome and popped of 1mm from the end.....all seems ok...

Now I think I Just need a new clutch lifting mechanism (cable cinch) as the one on the bike took a heavy whack ....I did straighten it but it has just bent again and is pulling into the sprocket so I guess it has work hardend and will always be weak..

I have boxes of spares here and can you believe it the first time I need something it's not in there....sods law

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:23:32 am by mjc477 »

Offline mjc477

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:30:43 am »
Does any one know the part number for the cable cinch

The bracket with the cable nipple holder on it?

That's the part that is bashing into the sprocket...

You can see on the left where the sprocket was catching
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:35:33 am by mjc477 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »
that male steel corkscrew thread part is discontinued,you can still buy the alloy female adjusting unit that lives in the outer case.

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
Does any one know the part number for the cable cinch

The bracket with the cable nipple holder on it?

That's the part that is bashing into the sprocket...

You can see on the left where the sprocket was catching

22838-292-000  Clutch lifter, obsolete, no longer available