Author Topic: CB125 - melted spark plug WTF?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Untold

• Enthusiast
CB125 - melted spark plug WTF?
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:57:46 pm »
So I just got my CB125 running well enough to take it the 20 miles to work (or so I thought).  Made it there just fine, halfway home I hear a pop/crack, and the bike locks up.  Tried to kick it over, and the engine was frozen.

Got it home, and took off the stator cover, and was able to spin the engine 359 degrees CCW, and then 359 degrees back CW, but it won't make a full revolution.  Timing chain looked fine.  The obstruction is definitely in the top end. 

So I pull the spark plug, and the whole end is disintegrated!  It appears that it melted and a piece must have dropped into the cylinder. Ugh.

So, my question for you fine folks is what could make my plug so hot in the first place? I come from a 2-stroke background, so I don't know if the same rules apply here.  Could the timing being too far advanced do it? Carbs running lean?  Air leak at the intake?

My battery melted a few weeks ago, so I ditched it and the bike still ran with no battery, and the lights and blinkers still worked.  Took it out last night, and the bulbs blew.  So it seems as though I need a voltage regulator. But that wouldn't have any affect on plug temp, right? I assume it's just a coincidence, but figured it's worth mentioning just in case.

I got the bike it had been hacked up and rebuilt from the frame up as a cafe, and it's been converted to 12v. 

Thanks
1976 CB550K

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: CB125 - melted spark plug WTF?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:09:40 pm »
Probably wasn't the plug that melted. The piston usually goes first.

Beats the hell out of the plug. All the valves intact?
Stranger in a strange land

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »
I'm just guessing that it was running a VERY lean mixture..,possibly clogged jets or vacuum leak,etc.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Untold

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 11:21:37 am »
Ok, so I pulled the cylinder and it wasn't pretty.  The inlet valve broke off and busted through the piston, and I'm assuming it was also what destroyed the spark plug. 

What would cause a valve to break? Tappet clearances too tight?  Am I wrong about the chain of events and what caused what?

1976 CB550K

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »
Corrosion from sitting, bad guide, stuck valve, over reving etc...........

Just has to stick open as the piston comes up and bam.....

Stranger in a strange land