Author Topic: New Project! 79 CB750L  (Read 952 times)

Offline aggiepike

• Compare and Save on Electric Rates in TX
New Project! 79 CB750L
« on: July 22, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
Well put a post up on Saturday about buying this bike and now that I think about it I really should have put it here to begin with. Probably would have gotten more love on the post considering I put it in the SOHC and this is a DOHC. So anyway sorry guys for the newbie mistake.

Some back story on it.  1979 CB750L completely disassembled. For the most part it seems to be all there now that I've gone through it. Luckily the engine hasn't been cracked open and he said it was running when he took it apart. And it has a title. The guy said he wanted to make a cafe out of it. IMHO I think he realized these aren't the coolest bike to cafe out and got in over his head, but anyway. He stripped the paint of the tank and hammered some knee dents in the tank, powder coated the frame, wheels, upper triple, and the engine covers. I paid $500 for it w/ the thought that if I have to punt it I'm fairly certain I can get my money back out...hopefully.

Now that I have started looking at this thing it is crazy how much different these are from our SOHC's.

I've joined the 750c forum for info. Seems night and day different than this forum so we'll see how it goes. I like it better here.  :D Anyone here a member over there as well? Also, would you guys suggest any other forums for these bikes?

The plan is to get it back running and as close to stock as possible.

Definately a project. Got it into a semi roller yesterday.

We will see.
K1 CB750 (836)

fendersrule

Re: New Project! 79 CB750L
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »
Post any mechanical question over at the CB750's forum:

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/

They know DOHCs very well. TOOLS is insanely smart...I'd put him on the same tier as Hondaman.

My dad bought a 79 CB750L and they were able to help him with his rebuild quite easily.

This place can be anti-DOHC.

Offline aggiepike

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
Post any mechanical question over at the CB750's forum:

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/

They know DOHCs very well. TOOLS is insanely smart...I'd put him on the same tier as Hondaman.

My dad bought a 79 CB750L and they were able to help him with his rebuild quite easily.

This place can be anti-DOHC.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll check it all out. 
K1 CB750 (836)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:42:44 pm »
Congrats.  I'm not anti-DOHC, I love mine and no one has sad a bad thing about it.

I'm on three other motorcycle forums and don't care for them either.

I'd bet your going to have to clean/rebuild the carbs, have you pulled a float bowl yet?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline aggiepike

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:07:22 am »
Congrats.  I'm not anti-DOHC, I love mine and no one has sad a bad thing about it.

I'm on three other motorcycle forums and don't care for them either.

I'd bet your going to have to clean/rebuild the carbs, have you pulled a float bowl yet?

thanks! I don't think anyone here was being anti DOHC at all, no worries on that. It was in the wrong place and replying to it just extends the post in the wrong place and leads to more of it from others. At least that's how I see it.

The forum that Fenders shot to me seems to be a lot more user friendly for questions and general discussion on the bikes. 750c has tons of good info on there but the discussion on the bikes and bouncing ideas around doesn't seem to be as high. More of a general place to find info and figure it out on your own. My $.02 on them anyway.

You're probably right on the carbs. I haven't gotten into them yet. I'm still trying to get my mind wrapped around what the best way to start is and gathering info. If anyone has any ideas on what the best way to start I'm all ears.

K1 CB750 (836)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 06:41:27 pm »
I haven't checked out the 750C forum, so don't know. 

Do you plan to install the motor and try a start up?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline aggiepike

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:38 am »
Do you plan to install the motor and try a start up?

You got it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the motor in one night this week so I can start running wires and installing everything else to see if it will fire up. Keep your fingers crossed.
K1 CB750 (836)