Author Topic: Replacement Regulator/Rectifier CHEAP  (Read 184134 times)

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
Re: Replacement Regulator/Rectifier CHEAP
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:27 am »
Having never worked with the 750s' electrical system I can't be 100% positive. However, the only thing I can think of that could be wrong with using the original rectifier is voltage loss. If the original rectifier is a selenium rectifier instead of silicon, it would take 1.5v instead of .7v to "activate" it and therefore you would be wasting a tad bit more power to make the charging system work. This is all conjecture at this point, though. Someone like Twotired would have to verify. Having said that, the system should still work.

About the regulator... Since the regulator is made to simply plug into the original wiring harness, all of the regulators will be wired the same. With the spade terminals facing towards you, it will go "A F S I" from left to right. :)
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline JP74

• "i'll be at the garage"
  • always more work do...
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2008, 12:49:29 pm »
Thank you Pinhead for the info, and for this thread. the voltage loss issues makes sense, i'll have to wire up the regulator and see how much loss there is... unless TT chimes in and advises me otherwise.   

thanks for the wiring info!
76-cb750k, 75-cb360T, 71-cb750k,
73-cb750 AMEN hardtail, 
78-750k roller..cl350..cl450. kz400,gs750.  maybe more

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2008, 08:03:07 pm »
No problem. ;)
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.

ev0lution7

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2008, 08:11:01 pm »
i didnt know a recifier could be such a HUGE topic... it seemed simple to me (like 1-2 pages)  ;) 

anyways Digikey part # for the 3 phase 5 post rectifier.... 36MT80-ND RECT BRIDGE 3-PHA 800V 35A D-63

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/rectifiers3p.html

that is the link for the rectifiers already made up from oregonmotorcycle parts!

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/vregulators.html

that is the link for the REGULATORS already made up from oregonmotorcycle parts!

i used my own creation for the recifier... and bought a regulator from the above guys!

IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO REPLACE YOUR WIRING CONNECTORS (8PIN) @ STATOR AND (6PIN) @ FUSE BOX AND RECTIFIER!

if not you will be WAISTING your time replacing new parts with old connectors its like rebuilding a bike and putting in the old gas from 2 years ago.... not very wise if you ask me.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2008, 10:23:20 pm »
I know all you guys that spent your money on Oregonmotorcycleparts' regulator think it's all that and a cup of tea... But the main difference is the price. $58 versus $15. Their rectifiers are terribly overpriced as well. I fail to see the advantage; they both serve the exact same function and have the same features.
Doug

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2009, 06:36:01 pm »
BTT by request.
Doug

masonryman

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:26 pm »
lots of info, I'm looking for parts now

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2009, 10:50:28 am »
What a great thread.  I bought the VR730 Ford voltage regulator and I haven't changed much since I was a little kid.... I just have to take things apart (see pics below).  I'm trying to arrange my electrical "panel" and the casing on the VR seems a little bulky. 

Here's the Ford regulator next to the Honda:

The form factor of the Ford is from the "olden days" when it was mechanical.  I'd like to chop down the enclosure some and I'm wondering how much heat I could expect from it.  In other words, is the case being used as a heat sink and how much of it (if any) is required?

Any thoughts folks?   

I have a couple other parts either on the way or "in house" for my rebuild of the electrical panel.  More on that later... (blade fuse box, www.vintageconnections.com connectors, rectifers, heat sink, etc.).  This thread really catapulted me into attacking my electrical system and I'm glad I did - I'll document and report results - thanks!

K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2009, 02:35:40 pm »
Very interesting. I don't know how much of a heat sink the casing is, but I know it pretty well never gets even warm to the touch. I'm interested to see what you come up with!
Doug

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2009, 04:07:07 pm »
Regarding the A I S F connections on the Duralast VR730 (voltage regulator).... The S is "un-used"?!?!  Is it possible that the S is a good ground?  There is a smidge of resistance between S and the housing.  Maybe good enough? 
K6
K7 

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2009, 08:58:45 am »
Yeah, I don't think the case is much of a heat sink, you could definitely reduce the size of the casing and probably not heat up much.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:59 am »
ummmmm. I got crazy last night with the tin snips:

Thanks for your reply though.  I think you're right.  The more I looked at it, the more I thought it couldn't be making much heat. 
K6
K7 

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2009, 09:52:11 am »
Regarding the A I S F connections on the Duralast VR730 (voltage regulator).... The S is "un-used"?!?!  Is it possible that the S is a good ground?  ......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

If the Ford had an ammeter, 'S' goes to the ignition switch.

If the Ford had an idiot light, 'S' goes to the 'stator' terminal on the alternator.

Regulator is grounded through the mounting bolts.

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2009, 09:53:28 am »
Regarding the A I S F connections on the Duralast VR730 (voltage regulator).... The S is "un-used"?!?!  Is it possible that the S is a good ground?  ......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

If the Ford had an idiot light, 'S' goes to the 'stator' terminal on the alternator.

You gotta love this place - ask and you shall receive.  :)
K6
K7 

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:20 am »
useless without pix......

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2009, 01:30:47 pm »
useless without pix......

Nice post!
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline cdoggy81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2009, 01:48:33 pm »
Any updates on this?
Any known replacements & how you wired them to work for your cb750?

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 02:03:25 pm »
I have been playing with replacement connectors, blade fuse holders and rectifiers (anyone need any heat sinks for a rectifier?  I overbought a little.  ).  Next is regulators (replace factory version) and relays (to "unload" the ignition switch and manage the headlight).  I will probably be putting the replacement Voltage Regulator in this week (the Ford VR730).  I'll post my results as soon as I have some.  I believe others have used the VR730 successfully. 

Regards,
John
K6
K7 

masonryman

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:09 am »
Regarding the A I S F connections on the Duralast VR730 (voltage regulator).... The S is "un-used"?!?!  Is it possible that the S is a good ground?  ......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This may have helped fix my problem. I have built one of these and installed the bridge rectifiers in the same housing, every time I start the bike it gets hot and starts smoking.

The regulator housing is mounted in a pan under the seat and this pan is not specifically grounded and is most likely not getting good enough contact to ground the regulator causing the alt to run wide open all the time

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2009, 11:49:29 am »
I had a similar thought.  When you look at how much surface area there is in a Honda rectifier compared to the cover of the voltage regulator....  it looks like the VR730 would "serve the purpose".  My notion was to put the rectifiers inside and cut openings in the sides of the cover.

It's a good thing the VR730's are only $13.
K6
K7 

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2009, 09:56:01 pm »
Just as an update to this project... The original post was in '06. I'm still on the same battery as when I started the project. I've never had it on the trickle charger, never had to bump start the bike, and haven't done any more maintenance/modification to the charging system. That means my "cheap walmart battery" has lasted 3 years and is showing absolutely no sign of going bad. :)
Doug

caraudi0king

« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:24 pm »
Thank you guys so much. This site/post has made my life ALOT easier.

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2009, 01:42:59 am »
  ok i went thru my second rectifier in my 550 this weekend. first one was bad when i got the bike and didnt let the batter charge , i put the one of the bike im building for my girlfried, it let go this weekend( to many beers and a dark enigine compartment when i tried to jump it) :-X   :'(
    bummer too it worked great.
    made a new one from parts picked up at the local electronics store.
  now im thinking of getting a new regulator too. so im partially electronics savy but the  mess of wires on my bike is driving me crazy.

so i f i go with the VR730
     can i use the green, white, black wires diretly on the new regulator?
    or do i have to go in deeper and cut/redo wiring?

guess who?

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:10 am »
If it helps, I asked Pinhead in another thread if this thread was all updated with his latest edits, he told me yes it is.  So read up and don't forget to ground the case of your vr730.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:00 am »
I've never worked on the 550 so I don't know color codes.

I used female spade connectors to connect to the stock wiring harness without modifying the harness at all.
Doug