Author Topic: Front end  (Read 793 times)

Offline thenewbie

• Tits migee
Front end
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:15:07 pm »
So I had this idea in my head the other day (it was actually last year I just have been thinking I was an idiot for thinking such a thing and its been rolling around in my head ever since). I was pondering the way that a bike goes around a corner. I was thinking that if you could get the front wheel to sit at a different angle from the back wheel it could allow you to get around a corner faster. If you look at the picture that I crudely drew on paint you might be able to see what I mean. My thought process went a little like this. If you could get the front end to pivot on the steering head the bike would turn faster without having to lean over so much. Which would then allow you to run a rear tire that isn't as steep and you would have a larger contact patch at the rear while still being able to turn just as fast, if not faster than a regular set up. Does anyone know if this has been tried or is it something that wouldn't be beneficial at all?
Any questions as to what I mean please ask.
1976 cb550f, 1995 xr250l

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: Front end
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:06:38 am »
the long answer: read john robinson's first chapter in his "motorcycle tuning - chassis" book and then come back to us :)

the sorter answer: not beneficial.