Author Topic: Oil light at idle  (Read 404 times)

Offline heymak

Oil light at idle
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »
Hi Guys ,I am new to the site not posted here before, need some help and advice , have read a lot of posts ,
I have got my self a 1974 k5 USA imported to Uk , very nice bike only 10,900 miles all working and sounds good only done 15 miles, except for the oil light at idle stays ON , but goes OFF around 3000 rpm,
I changed the oil 10/40 semi synthetic and filter ( will 15/40 semi or mineral be better ), dropped the pan and cleaned the oil strainer but didn't need it, was really clean inside like the day it came out the factory. changed the oil pressure switch, cleaned up the connector terminals . checked the idiot lights and no holes in bulb mounting rubber , is it a poor earth. when I take off the wire to the oil pressure sw. the light goes OFF, when I ground the wire on the engine the light comes back on ?? , running out of options . maybe I need to pull the oil pump out ? doing my head in lol

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
Re: Oil light at idle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:20:11 pm »
Hi.I think you should check pressure with an oil pressure gauge before pulling your hair out.Chances of two pressure switches being defective slim but you never know.
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F