Author Topic: Cylinder Head and Cylinders  (Read 625 times)

Offline Cruzader

Cylinder Head and Cylinders
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
Can I use a CB750 k1 cylinder head on later model (k3 and later) cylinders that accept knock pin dowels and seals?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Cylinder Head and Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:39 am »
My opinion is yes, though I don't have first hand knowledge. It is known that the bikes that take the 8 dowels and Orings can be run without them, effectively converting them back to the original design.

So leaving them out of your example should be fine.  Extra care should be used when assembling to avoid the leaks that the ORIngs were designed to stop. A thin coat of gasket sealers surrounding those areas,  Multiple tork and release of the head nuts, and/or HD studs.

But it is not my bike.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Cruzader

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:25:46 pm »
My opinion is yes, though I don't have first hand knowledge. It is known that the bikes that take the 8 dowels and Orings can be run without them, effectively converting them back to the original design.

So leaving them out of your example should be fine.  Extra care should be used when assembling to avoid the leaks that the ORIngs were designed to stop. A thin coat of gasket sealers surrounding those areas,  Multiple tork and release of the head nuts, and/or HD studs.

But it is not my bike.

I think they may fit, but I haven't seen the bottom of a later model cylinder head to know if there are recesses to accept the top of the extra seals.

The cylinders have been bored to 836cc, I have HD studs and a cometic head gasket. I would hate to see it leak, but I have heard that the seal or donut is hard to find.
Thank you for your advice

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:16:59 am »
You may find the cometic head gasket won't accept the dowels and ORings, which would tell the tale.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:20:46 am »

But it is not my bike.

I think they may fit, but I haven't seen the bottom of a later model cylinder head to know if there are recesses to accept the top of the extra seals.

The cylinders have been bored to 836cc, I have HD studs and a cometic head gasket. I would hate to see it leak, but I have heard that the seal or donut is hard to find.
Thank you for your advice
IIRC, the later heads are machined to accept the dowels and ORings. Many of the oversize head gaskets are not. They expect you to omit the dowels and ORings.
Ride Safe:
Ron