Author Topic: LED High beam indicator very bright  (Read 516 times)

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
LED High beam indicator very bright
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:51:07 am »
Hi guys, so I installed and wired up a pair of gauges I got from DimeCityCycles. I am playing with adding in some resistors to the high beam indicator to get the brightness down. Even in daylight it was blinding (not sure why they make it that way). So I was reading around other forums and this guy put in three 4.7k ohm resistors. I tried that but it's still really bright. So I got a packet of 10k ohm ones and just tried three of them and it brought it down a lot. Is there any harm in resisting it that much?

Weird thing is, it's PERFECTLY bright when the current goes through me only. If I hold the wires in each hand, I mean. I measured my resistance and I'm about .8M ohms. That's a capital M by the way. Maybe I'll just strap a fat baby to the front of my bike to get the resistance I want. OR wire it into each grip...my god that could work.

Thanks
Dave

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: LED High beam indicator very bright
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:11:02 am »
I'll guess this is a blue LED? These are often insanely bright - the eye is very sensitive to blue light.
I can't imagine it being very bright with 800K in series though. That's around 18 microwatts.
Use whatever resistor is acceptable, you don't need to be blinded at night by the high beam indicator!

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: LED High beam indicator very bright
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:17:34 am »
Yeah, it is a blue light. Honda had the right idea with the stock indicator, I can barely tell if it's on during the day, and at night it's perfect.

Thanks Bodi, now I won't have to wear sunglasses at night.

---
1978 Honda CB550K