Author Topic: Are Dunlop K70 tires directional?  (Read 12326 times)

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
Are Dunlop K70 tires directional?
« on: December 05, 2013, 07:46:42 pm »
I'm mounting Dunlop K70's right now and I see arrows showing direction (I think that's what it is...it's just a small arrow right before the word "Dunlop") but it doesn't say if it's for front or rear. See picture:

Does it matter which way I put it on? The LAST thing I want is to have to switch it. Might as well ask. Google didn't turn up any results.

Thanks

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Are Dunlop K70 tires directional?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:55:21 pm »
No, the K70 tread is not directional.
It is also NOT a front tire. If used as a front, it will make a bike feel like it wants to stand back up when it is pulled down into a corner.  ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:02:17 pm »
It is also NOT a front tire. If used as a front, it will make a bike feel like it wants to stand back up when it is pulled down into a corner.  ;)

Thanks Hondaman. I am using it for front and rear. BikeBandit matched these tires for my bike. It said to get these for front and rear...bunch of shmohawks they are. I've also seen many people use them for both.

Hmm, I hope it's not a big deal. I was unaware that it wasn't for front. I guess this coming season I'll let you guys know the status...or if you don't hear from me then call an ambulance  ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
About 3 years ago, a rider brought me a very cafe'd 550 (looked great!) to fix an oil leak, and to find out why it handled so badly. His mechanic (that built the bike for him) had bought the pair of K70 tires from...Bike Bandit. At 60+ MPH, turning loose of the handlebars started a growing speed wobble, which was hard to settle. When riding at that speed, it felt like the bike was fighting back. I only had an old, used, rib-pattern front tire on hand to try, put it on and the wobble instantly disappeared. He decided to sell the bike instead of fixing it, bought a 750 instead. The new owner of the 550 took it to someone and had that K70 put back on the front, and 3 months later sold the bike again. I'd be willing to bet that I know why...

The K70 pattern is a British design that was intended for the Brit twins like the Bonneville and Trophy series Triumphs/BSAs or those days. Those bikes don't have much lean angle, so the tires have a very square profile. Their main claim to fame it their ability to push water out of their tread quickly, which is a big issue in British riding. Back in the early 1970s this tire enjoyed a surge of popularity on the 750 and 500/550 rears when it was discovered they had 30% more payload and 25% more tread depth than the K87 that came standard on these bikes, but they were matched with a ribbed-pattern front tire. That makes a good combination if you're not a hot-shoe (like me!), lest you run it out of tread when leaned over.

I had a K70 on the back of my 750 for almost 1000 miles (Fall of 1972) before I took it off and sold it to someone else, HATED it. In 2007 Avon adopted the same carcass ply pattern (square corners) on their Roadrunner "vintage" 4.00x18, and I accidentally got one of those - it felt just like the K70, and I rode it 1/2 a season before replacing it with the Roadriders.  :(

The SOHC Fours are sporting bikes, and deserve a sporting tire!  ;)

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 08:53:50 pm »
Well, hard to argue with that, haha. In either case I just mounted my tires and will see what happens. Maybe I'll sell them within a week of riding, haha. This is the first I've heard of these tires being rear wheel only for these bikes.

And here I am thinking I do enough research...

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline zeech

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
I don't know about all this negative talk of the K70s. I've been riding a pair for 3,000 miles and have none of the above mentioned problems up to 85mph highway and winding through Angeles Crest.

I think there were other issues with said customers bike besides the tires. Rims sound out of true or lopsided. Anyway. It's the internet, we know how the stories go. Try them for yourself and hope they work out.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:00:17 pm by zeech »

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »
Well, hard to argue with that, haha. In either case I just mounted my tires and will see what happens. Maybe I'll sell them within a week of riding, haha. This is the first I've heard of these tires being rear wheel only for these bikes.

And here I am thinking I do enough research...

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Sometimes I think that "us" who grew up with these bikes are not influential enough today with the vendors. Most of them are referencing either generic tire charts (among other things) or newbie information from the manufacturers, who are going by weights and rim sizes, little more. I get pretty frustrated by it, myself.

An example: That was how I ended up with that Roadrunner: I had previously used a couple of the Roadrunner tires with exceptional performance and handling, before I was forced to not ride for several years after battling with cancer. When I got back on it, the tire was dry-rotting a little, so I contacted Avon about their current Roadrunner, and they gave me the new model number. I dutifully ordered it and was shocked to see it when it arrived: it didn't have the same carcass shape, tire tread, nor cross-section. Instead of being the very fine round profile of the old 'Runner, it was as square as a K70. I didn't have any more tire $$, so I put it on, knowing what was going to happen, and, yep, it did. I put up with it until one morning, a little late for work, I was hooking it pretty hard on an on-ramp to the freeway when the corner of the tire let loose under power, putting me into a dirt-track slide, trying to keep off a high-side recovery. I charged a RoadRider on a credit card the next day, and it takes a LOT for me to use a credit card...

When I called Avon "out" over it, the tire engineer I called said the company had almost gone out of business (during the years I was not riding), and was just getting reorganized into a new company. So, I asked about the "old engineers" who had made them great, and he said he was just one of 2 left from that crowd. Probing further, I found out that they had just re-contracted with the same people who had supplied their rubber before, and the 'new' RoadRider series was to be made with that stuff. That's how I got started with these types, and they are in metric, not English/SAE sizes, so they have taller profiles. That's OK, as it makes the 750 somewhat easier to get on the centerstand....they also handle very well when paired front-rear in the right sizes. And they grip on wet like it was bone-dry. ;)

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:15:19 am »
Wow! I have never heard that.
I have them front and back on my 550 and love the way they feel.
Never an issue with wobble or in a curve so far.
Used them years ago on Triumphs and Hondas front and rear.
Maybe I'm too caught up on the vintage look, but I'm going to use them on my T500 Suzuki also (if I ever get it going).
The rears are more square in profile, but the front not quite as much.
Dunlop lists the 3.25 as a front and the 4.00 as a rear and the 3.50 as  an either:
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/road/vintage/k70/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:17:05 am by brewsky »
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:49:53 am »
This bike below from 1980 has Avon Roadrunner rear 4.10x16", Dunlop K81 front.
Very slippery rear, but in a controlled way. No sudden loss of grip as I felt with Continental K112.

The fork and front fender díd not make handling better either :-)  Just to look cooler. Wobbling around on the roads in 150-180km/h was something to get used to.
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:39:21 pm »
This bike below from 1980 has Avon Roadrunner rear 4.10x16", Dunlop K81 front.
Very slippery rear, but in a controlled way. No sudden loss of grip as I felt with Continental K112.

The fork and front fender díd not make handling better either :-)  Just to look cooler. Wobbling around on the roads in 150-180km/h was something to get used to.

Ah, the famous K112...I talked in the early 1970s with a Continental tire engineer/rep about them when they came out. He was a nice German rider, on a BMW with K112 tires. He talked about how they had "engineered drift" to them, which he pointed out is those little 90-degree slots in the tops of the sidewall tread pattern. The idea behind them is: when you lean on them, they 'slip a little' to "warn" you that you are almost out of tire. Well, "little" might be a relative word?

This discussion came about because on my 750, at 70 MPH down on the pegs, it let the entire bike "drift" sideways unstoppably, clear off the track, into the dirt, and down on it's left side. So, they lasted just 2 months on my 750, were removed and sold to someone else. I installed the (old Brit Dunlop) TT100/K81 trigonometric tires after that, which were excellent. Can't get them anymore (only in a "K81 tread", not a real trigonometric carcass) today, though. Very sad.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »
Man I thought I remember the K 70 coming OEM on Triumph front wheels...??
Maybe I just got a bad memory..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:26:46 pm »
Man I thought I remember the K 70 coming OEM on Triumph front wheels...??
Maybe I just got a bad memory..

Nope, you are exactly right! They came on BSA twins and most of the Triumphs as well. But keep in mind, those (stock) bikes have about 23 degrees max lean angle, which does not challenge the corner walls of a K70 very much. In contrast, the "departure angle" (as Honda calls it) on the 750 right side is 38 degrees and on the left (limited by centerstand) is 30 degrees. The K70 tread has about 20% tire contact at that angle. The K81 had 120% (relative to vertical position) tire contact, and the modern "90" profile metrics hold it to about 85% of vertical. For comparison, the K112 sidewall has 90% contact, but it has the "drift" slots that remove some of the rubber from the patch, reducing traction while heeled deeply over (BTW, why would this be a good idea? Just a question...).

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »
I don't know about all this negative talk of the K70s. I've been riding a pair for 3,000 miles and have none of the above mentioned problems up to 85mph highway and winding through Angeles Crest.

I think there were other issues with said customers bike besides the tires. Rims sound out of true or lopsided. Anyway. It's the internet, we know how the stories go. Try them for yourself and hope they work out.

I see by this post you assume that Hondaman doesn't know enough about these bikes to make an informed comment, You'd be wrong.  I'll tell you that Mark {Hondaman} has probably forgotten more about these bikes than you'll ever  know and thats not being smart, He is a very competent mechanic that has worked specifically on these bikes since their inception {40 odd years}and has written books {build manuals and tips and tricks} about them and still works on them daily. Those old tread patterns and tire designs are crap compared to todays tires and thats a fact, they are mainly made for restorers for originalities sake or for a specific look, I suspect that there are a lot of guys here that have no idea of what a good handling bike feels like to ride or aren't that good a rider in the first place.....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:45:30 pm »

I see by this post you assume that Hondaman doesn't know enough about these bikes to make an informed comment, You'd be wrong.  I'll tell you that Mark {Hondaman} has probably forgotten more about these bikes than you'll ever  know and thats not being smart, He is a very competent mechanic that has worked specifically on these bikes since their inception {40 odd years}and has written books {build manuals and tips and tricks} about them and still works on them daily. Those old tread patterns and tire designs are crap compared to todays tires and thats a fact, they are mainly made for restorers for originalities sake or for a specific look, I suspect that there are a lot of guys here that have no idea of what a good handling bike feels like to ride or aren't that good a rider in the first place.....

Well, Retro, I'd have to admit that if there is one thing I could be considered opininated about, it would be tires. I've had friends killed because they would not use good ones, and have been on my back, sides (both), face, head, and tumbling, all from [bad tires in] various situations. NO ONE should ever ride on poor tires, IMO.

Because of the wrecks I had by 1972, I determined to find out, from those who made them, how they were made, and how they work. And, what made 'good ones' vs. 'the others'. I was either fortunate or bull-headed enough to meet with Goodyear, Avon, Continental, and Gates Rubber engineers (Gates used to make rubber for Dayton and Firestone tires back then) to learn the basics and find the ways to understand how these hoops work. It's really amazing, and cool science.

Today the tire profiles and carcasses have changed to mostly ISO-influenced metric shapes. While this isn't a bad thing, it does change the way these bikes handle on the existing rims most of us use. The tire pressures are higher, which means the spokes are under more stress when heeled over (higher side shocks), so it urges the need for good bearings and some attention to those spokes and their maintenance. The stiffer assembly then 'twitches' these older-style frames more when heeled over, so these bikes tend to develop a quicker response to steering input when on their sides than they ever did with the old tires. In a word, this means they become "less forgiving" to inattention when ridden at speed, but also respond very well to the added attentions of suspension improvements (even fork oils) to go along with the new rubber compounds.

Along with this has come a whole crop of vendors who will sell 'something' for a profit, including rejects, factory seconds, or just plain cheap goods. I hope in some of my [tire] rants to point out that of all the cheap things you might buy for a bike, the one that could cost you your life is: poor tires. ;)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »
Amen.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 02:49:42 pm »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 11:11:09 pm »
Hondaman, since we seem to be in a tire thread and I've learned a few things here, could you recommend tires for 3 bikes? This might apply to the majority of us who are wondering.
 All cb750, the first is an original sandcast survivor which will be ridden according to it's great condition, currently has the original front tire.
 The second is a K0 with an 836, roadrace cam, ported head, yoshi style pipe and stock size lester mags. I gonna flog it. currently has a K70 front and a TT on the rear
 Bike 3, low mile F0, stock except for double front disc brakes. It's usually ridden when my wife wants to go along, short trips two up. It needs tires soon, the back moves around when turning and/or braking with 1 rider and pushed just a little.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 02:18:09 am »
I'll second that request, only for the 550.
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Wobbly

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23:32 am »
I have been very happy with the Continental "Twins" for the longest time: The RB2 in front which needs to be paired up with the K112 as rear tire. They worked for me in the Sahara and the Mojave Desert, on the snowy passes in the Alps, and driving top speed for hours on the German autobahn. However, the best performing tire out there to fit the standard rims is probably what I drive now: the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 (100/90 x 19 front, 130/90 x 17 rear). I never had any better than that on my CB 750 Honda.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 09:44:58 pm »
Hondaman, since we seem to be in a tire thread and I've learned a few things here, could you recommend tires for 3 bikes? This might apply to the majority of us who are wondering.
 All cb750, the first is an original sandcast survivor which will be ridden according to it's great condition, currently has the original front tire.
 The second is a K0 with an 836, roadrace cam, ported head, yoshi style pipe and stock size lester mags. I gonna flog it. currently has a K70 front and a TT on the rear
 Bike 3, low mile F0, stock except for double front disc brakes. It's usually ridden when my wife wants to go along, short trips two up. It needs tires soon, the back moves around when turning and/or braking with 1 rider and pushed just a little.

Well, if they were mine...(warning: this means it will ramble a little...):

The sandcast, if the steering head bearings are still the ball-and-race type, will surely need a full-ribbed front tire like the original one. Otherwise it will track all over when it finds a crack in the pavement to follow, like rain grooves. Even so, it will still tend to follow them, because the ball-and-race steering head has little torque grip on the side-to-side movement of the steering post (i.e., not much surface area to grab!). It leads those smaller fork tubes right into the wiggle! Tapered steering bearings will reduce this tendency a lot. Also, if the swingarm bushings are still the old Zamac plastic, you will feel it when flipping from, say, a left turn to a right: the whole bike will shift its line as you 'land' into the turn. This is from the compression of the swingarm collar into the plastic, about .002" of compression. If they are the phenolic ones, this is about 1/2 that much. The bikes came with both Zamac and phenolic well into 1972: my own K2 had Zamac bushings when I took them out in the summer of 1972, because I could not hold a line at 100+ MPH on the track with the bike: grabbing a handful at the top of 3rd gear in redline would make the bike jump to the right. The phenolic made it better: bronze made it solid.

The K78 rear tire on the sandcast and 1969 K0 bikes was a short-lived disaster. It had insufficient sidewall grip and strength, so heeling over and grabbing a handful could put the bike on the pipes. They wore out quickly (4000 miles), so most of them disappeared. The K87 was built by Bridgestone just for the K0, and remained until 1972. This was a decent rear tire, if you could live with the 6000 mile life. It matched the 3.25 ribbed front tire profile very well.

Overall: if you don't mind losing the vintage look, try a set of Avon Roadriders. The Sandcast will feel like it lost 50 lbs. somewhere. ;)

The hotrod: I suspect your Yoshi pipe on the right side has cut back your cornering clearance there to be LESS that the centerstand stub on the left side. So, the K81 (if it is an old trigonometric K81-TT100 tire, more than 7 years old, now) sidewalls probably won't get used: in that case, a metric round profile tire would be more suited to keeping the rubber footprint bigger in the realm where the (bigger) torque will meet the pavement.  This would mean numbers like 120/90x18 rear with 110/90-19 or 100/90-19 front (depending on the front fender's configuration) would get along well while making more rubber meet the road at all angles it is likely to see. There are a couple of good choices here, but the main things to look for would be:
1. A linear rib, or groove, or simulated circumferential groove, MUST be there in at least the front tire. If you add it in the rear tire to match, the high-speed ride will be an easy one-hand affair, otherwise it will have a slight tendency to wander the line. The front rib is needed because the frame will torque to the right when pulling hard in lower gears with that bigger engine, and the groove will tend to keep the sideslip to a minimum. Tread patterns should be symmetric, don't get the side-slash ones that are used for monoshock frames.
2. High-traction rubber, at least the "H" speed rating.

Something to note: all of the K81/TT100 tires I have seen since 2006 are NOT trigonometric, but a simple tread pattern copy of the old K81 on a round-profile carcass. In layman's terms, this means: the modern version of the K81 is NOT a roadrace, V-profile tire. Avon does make some V-profile tires, but the ones I am familiar with are non-symmetric patterns, made for modern ultra-stiff monoshock-frame bikes. This will cause the dual-shock CB750 frame to track a little bit with the tread pattern, very unnerving at speed (to me, anyway). Most of these also do not have a circumferential rib, leaving as much rubber on the ground as possible to support the modern 100+ HP engines.

The dual-front brake bike deserves a little more of the across-the-tread ribbing patterns, so as to grip the pavement a little better if stopping hard. If you notice in the OEM tires that had the linear ribs, they added square-block cuts across those ribs starting in 1973, and made them outright blocks in the F2 tires. These facets cut straight across the tire so as to scrape away dirt on the pavement at their leading edges when the brake torque is applied, and they often wear in little "steps" right behind those edges as the result of this torque. That's where they "skid", so to speak. (You can see this on your car's tires, too...). With 2 discs, having more of these little cross-blocks in the tread will also make the bike stop straighter by holding the forces to a right angle against the gyroscopic momentum of the front wheel: or in other words, it stops the tendency of the front wheel to wash out under hard stops. There's 2 general schools of thought here: one is to use fewer cross-cuts, letting the wheel slide a bit more, while the other is to dig the tire in harder, period. Interestingly, Honda stayed with the first school of thought on their F2, which reflected the rubber-hose decision with the first-ever disc brake of the K0. They didn't want to see flying W pictures over CB750 handlebars in the media, I guess? So, even with the dual discs, the competitors could out-stop them at the time, mostly because they were using more aggressive tire profiles (like on the KZ1000 bikes).

So...for a dual-disc front, I'd recommend finding both a high-grip rubber ("H" type at least) and a blocky, cross-cut tread pattern. The K81 tread pattern, even though it is not a V-profile, works well for this. If you go K81 on the front, match it at the rear. The bike will feel much more "straight" under you then, instead of letting it find one 'rail' with the front pattern and another with the rear.

Of all the tires I have used over the years on this bike, the true trigonometric, V-carcass K81/TT100 British Dunlops were the closest to perfect (IMO). It had slightly more sidewall tread than the bike needed, put more rubber on the ground when heeled over than when straight up, could dig out of anything but pure sand under braking torque, and at 45 PSI could carry 600+ lbs of touring loads at 100+ MPH without ever breaking a sweat nor aging the rubber. The Japanese version Dunlop copy was not even close, hence the confusion that still exists today (the "legends" of the K81, true or false?). When those disappeared, it took me a long time to find anything close: today that would be the Avon Roadriders, except they are not trigonometric. More's the pity!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 09:53:45 pm »
I have been very happy with the Continental "Twins" for the longest time: The RB2 in front which needs to be paired up with the K112 as rear tire. They worked for me in the Sahara and the Mojave Desert, on the snowy passes in the Alps, and driving top speed for hours on the German autobahn. However, the best performing tire out there to fit the standard rims is probably what I drive now: the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 (100/90 x 19 front, 130/90 x 17 rear). I never had any better than that on my CB 750 Honda.

It's really hard to fault the Continental Tires (K112 and RB2), but be careful of one thing: today there is something out there called the "Conti Twins" that mimic those great tires - and they are NOT great tires. I have a pair in the shed with 200 miles on them: they are not round, they are not uniform in cross-section, and they are made in China. I got rooked on them, but to be fair, I don't think the seller knew it, either. They show up on the bike on the cover of my book in some of those pages, but it did not leave here with them. I didn't want the owner to get hurt...

Those are the Continentals that "drift" that I referred to above: if you don't push the 750's limits (like I used to) they are terrific tires. The only caveat: at footpeg-scraping angles, they cease drifting, and break into a side-slide. Here in the Rockies, that might not be a good choice? Other than that, they are exceedingly stable tread patterns under the 750 frame, have fine cross-cuts for the front brake grip, and are otherwise very predictable in all but the wettest weather (I found they can hydroplane at interstate speeds in heavy rain).

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Advise I will use.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 07:07:02 am »
I'm mounting Dunlop K70's right now and I see arrows showing direction (I think that's what it is...it's just a small arrow right before the word "Dunlop") but it doesn't say if it's for front or rear. See picture:

Does it matter which way I put it on? The LAST thing I want is to have to switch it. Might as well ask. Google didn't turn up any results.

Thanks

---
1978 Honda CB550K

That is the Dunlop logo NOT a direction arrow.

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:49 am »
Thread hijack ::)

My favorite Dunlop tire ad: